Drawings, concept art, etc.

Started by ChLieW, January 06, 2012, 09:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frvge

I like the art style a lot :) Especially the weird camera one.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

DreadStunLock

I try not to stylize it too much, I want to keep my head leveled on a professional approach of heavy emphasis on hand render, and I do not use any filters of any sort, it's just my hand and the brush so the style if really is not existant?

Or should I say it's an industrial design style? Clean and easy to read when they are finished?

I love designing, especially for the main reason is that my shit comes in first, and everyone would depend on me, but I don't read enough of books and my visual library at this moment is really terrible.

But working on it, the great thing about this, is the fact that throughout the last 3 months, my brain perceives things as objects and not as actual items? And it makes things a lot easier to draw and also a lot less complicated and it expands on the horizons of what you can design, from a small leaf to a big skyscraper.

The weird camera one was also very heavily inspired by Kishimoto's first Naruto book cover, where he has a paint brush in his mouth and for some reason, paint brushes and very kick ass heroes look really cool to me.

I guess to me, something that's so pathetic and mundane, makes it less mainstream and makes it really cool to me.

Pusianka

I like the third one and I'm glad you're drawing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHa_jqxnn4o

"- It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.
- Hit it."

DreadStunLock

Just noticed, it wasn't all of the ones I wanted to upload, missed couple.

tigaer

Random speedy I did this afternoon while I had some free time. Took around an hour.

frvge

Your eye for scenes like this one has improved! I can see some new techniques from your earlier work I think.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

tigaer

Quote from: frvge on March 11, 2012, 11:35:14 PM
Your eye for scenes like this one has improved! I can see some new techniques from your earlier work I think.

Definitely. My entire workflow has changed. I have tried to keep myself focused on the composition and values by working zoomed out way before I go into detailing (which I didn't even do on this speedy), so therefore the composition never changes between the thumbnail view to the actual detailed product. I used to focus on one area of a painting, and realize half way through that the composition sucks and I'd restart, and do it over, and over and over again, until I realized I never finished my paintings. Had to change it up. This way is much more enjoyable too, because you can relax and just scribble in the beginning until you get your forms correct. it's amazing to see how many ideas you can create by just creating random blobs of paint on the canvas and making out shapes, then refining them. That's how I did this painting. Didn't really have any idea what I was going to paint in the beginning, but I just let it create itself.

If you ever want to watch some amazing tutorials on digital painting, this guy is one of the best at doing them,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCmz3XuS6TI&feature=related

Awesome tips on workflow, composition and everything you need. Helped me a ton.

frvge

I once partly read a really inspiring ebook about making art more realistic. That helped me a lot with grading artists' eye for detail in textures, even tho I'm not an artist myself. Still trying to keep up with all disciplines :)

DreadStunLock

Quote from: tigaer on March 11, 2012, 10:50:15 PM
Random speedy I did this afternoon while I had some free time. Took around an hour.

Hey Tigaer, are you heavily specialized in Illustration?

You have a quite a distinct style from your landscape picture you just showed, because a lot of Concept Freelancers I know, which are kind of Singaporean/American native mostly, and they don't really have a style, it's just mostly presented in a clear visual presentation and not that much texture filtering? If you know what I mean?

I am just wondering because yours is very distinctive.

tigaer

Quote from: DreadStunlock on March 12, 2012, 02:16:05 AM

You have a quite a distinct style from your landscape picture you just showed, because a lot of Concept Freelancers I know, which are kind of Singaporean/American native mostly, and they don't really have a style, it's just mostly presented in a clear visual presentation and not that much texture filtering? If you know what I mean?

Are you asking if I'm a professional illustrator, or what? I just do these in my spare time. Self taught, just now really getting into my own style, but I've been using Photoshop since I was about 12. For the textures, I just used a few texture brushes to apply it in the beginning and middle of the painting to get some more variety in the values and details. But yeah, not professional at all, or heavily specialized in Illustration, I just draw in my spare time (this is actually my first painting in a few months), though I would enjoy making it a form of income someday. Haha hope I answered your question. I wasn't aware that my style was that unique.

LoChang

Looks like a 'Homeworld' scene. Nice.

DreadStunLock

Quote from: tigaer on March 12, 2012, 06:52:05 AM
Quote from: DreadStunlock on March 12, 2012, 02:16:05 AM

Are you asking if I'm a professional illustrator, or what? I just do these in my spare time. Self taught, just now really getting into my own style, but I've been using Photoshop since I was about 12. For the textures, I just used a few texture brushes to apply it in the beginning and middle of the painting to get some more variety in the values and details. But yeah, not professional at all, or heavily specialized in Illustration, I just draw in my spare time (this is actually my first painting in a few months), though I would enjoy making it a form of income someday. Haha hope I answered your question. I wasn't aware that my style was that unique.

Yeah it answered my question and it added few more bits of information too.

It is quite distinctive from others that I have seen. Thanks. :)