merc confusion gadget

Started by Gawain, February 05, 2008, 01:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westfall

Quote from: Papa Skull on February 06, 2008, 04:31:44 AM
I've got an idea.  How about you make a mode where you upload a virus with your glove to servers spread across the map?  That would be pretty cool.  The mercs have to defend the servers from getting uploaded with the viruses that the spies carry in their gloves.  The mercs wouldn't be able to destroy the virus or remove it, but they would have to kill the spies before the viruses are completely uploaded on 3 out of 5 servers in the map.

This isn't really that bad of an idea. The spies shouldn't have the virus at first. Rather, they should d/l it from 2 different source spots and then be able to upload it to (lets say) 3/5 terminals. This would give great use for a glove, a new game mode and new gadget.

Farley4Fan

Maybe that could even be implemented into the current story game mode.  I don't think that the download area to get the virus should be dangerous.  It should be right in the spawn.  The downside is that it takes some time to download the virus and thus taking up some of your time to win the game.  I'd say you should make it last about 10 sec to download fully into your glove, and 20 seconds to upload the virus fully into a server if you stand right next to it the whole time.  You would only be able to complete these objectives quickly if you bring a hacking glove.  Otherwise it would take 20 seconds to download into your suit and 30-40 seconds to upload fully into a server.   

Actually this could be a really nice objective to add into the game.  Even if it's not it's own game mode, which might get old fast.  What do you think?

Westfall

Quote from: Papa Skull on February 06, 2008, 04:48:54 AM
Maybe that could even be implemented into the current story game mode.  I don't think that the download area to get the virus should be dangerous.  It should be right in the spawn.  The downside is that it takes some time to download the virus and thus taking up some of your time to win the game.  I'd say you should make it last about 10 sec to download fully into your glove, and 20 seconds to upload the virus fully into a server if you stand right next to it the whole time.  You would only be able to complete these objectives quickly if you bring a hacking glove.  Otherwise it would take 20 seconds to download into your suit and 30-40 seconds to upload fully into a server.   

Actually this could be a really nice objective to add into the game.  Even if it's not it's own game mode, which might get old fast.  What do you think?

it could be....just like disk drop off. This would make the glove standard though, unless you played "glove-specific" maps. Maybe, if Spekkio's 5 gadget slot system works, the glove can be the mandated slot for spy side.

Farley4Fan

This could be an alternative to ss.  I don't think an extra gadget would be in order.  The downside is that you lose the ss, but if you prefer the glove anyways then you don't really lose anything to take it.  The glove wouldn't ONLY do stuff to help this objective, it would still be able to break lights/windows etc...

Westfall

Quote from: Papa Skull on February 06, 2008, 04:58:20 AM
This could be an alternative to ss.  I don't think an extra gadget would be in order.  The downside is that you lose the ss, but if you prefer the glove anyways then you don't really lose anything to take it.  The glove wouldn't ONLY do stuff to help this objective, it would still be able to break lights/windows etc...

oo....optional main weapon...like mercs have rifle/uzi/shotty.....Sticky Shocker/Glove....I like it.

Ion.67

Quote from: Westfall-US on February 06, 2008, 05:07:23 AM
Quote from: Papa Skull on February 06, 2008, 04:58:20 AM

oo....optional main weapon...like mercs have rifle/uzi/shotty.....Sticky Shocker/Glove....I like it.

If the devs did go with something like that, I think it should look like a radar gun type of device, instead of a glove. Makes more sense to me. Not very sure why.

Farley4Fan

And the stealth gun I suggested.  It would be cool to have 3 different alternative main weapons for spies.  Now THAT would add A LOT of variety.  They each have their own uses.

- ss is sort of the jack of all trades, and it excels in aggro.  Recommended for aggro players.

- The glove helps you complete the virus objective much more easily, and it can help a good amount for stealth players who like darkness.  But it fails in aggro in most categories because you lose your ability to launch nades and gadgets.  (maybe you could place stickies/bullets/snares on walls manually?  What about that nade trap idea where you can plant a nade on the wall and detonate it when a merc walks by it?)  This gadget is about the player's preferance.  It doesn't excel in a certain category other than some stealth.

- And my Stealth Gun idea.  It excels highly in stealth.  With its ability to silently disable electronics and jam the visions of the merc for quite some time, this gadget is recommended for players who keep their main priority being hidden.  The downside of using this is that it is weak in aggro situations.  And can only launch small gadgets like bullets/cameras/snares.  It cannot launch grenades.  Maybe making hbs only available while using this alternate weapon would be a good suggestion.  Like Ion said a second ago.

Cyntrox

In that case, I think there should be one aggro weapon, one balanced and one stealth weapon - rather than one balanced and two stealth like you suggested.

frvge

Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Gawain

3 different spy "weapons" is a bad idea (3 different merc weapons is a bad one already but not that bad), and so is my idea with an extra gadget. just create a new type of objective that can be hacked from distance with the normal ss. this way you leave the balance work to the map designer which is a good thing.
i still think that merc confusion gadget could be fun and balanced:
-create a hologram where you aim
-silently hack visions/security messages/radar from merc
-get information about exact amount of gadgets

a3c0i3d

Well the mercs might have three weapons, so basicly three different playstyles. Why limit the spy with only 1 "weapon" ? I kinda like the idea, tbh. Only three might be pushing it abit. Im more for 2 "weapons". A stealth and a agro one. And i see it more like a stealth loadout, or a agro one.

Spekkio

Now that the thread is entitled "merc confusion gadget," don't we already have snares for that?

Gawain

Quote from: Spekkio on February 06, 2008, 04:55:11 PM
Now that the thread is entitled "merc confusion gadget," don't we already have snares for that?
we got sound confusion, but no optical confusion. besides, the gadget also has some other functions like hexoring omfgwtf### the merc's visions and get useful information. this gadget may be hard make good use of, but offers really great new possibilities, especially for stealth teams.

Spekkio

Quotebut no optical confusion.
Chaff? Flashbangs? Smoke? Sticky shock to the head? That's 4 gadgets that cause optical confusion.

Westfall

Quote from: Spekkio on February 06, 2008, 05:05:48 PM
Quotebut no optical confusion.
Chaff? Flashbangs? Smoke? Sticky shock to the head? That's 4 gadgets that cause optical confusion.

wasn't the spy hologram one too?