Lobby UI - Updated

Started by tigaer, July 01, 2007, 09:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigaer

Updated.

Profile screen,

Server lobby,

The international and in lobby are chat channels, so you can fill a game faster, you just go to international and say join up, or whatever.

I'll do the server list, sign in and profile later.

All the backgrounds are probably going to change when I get more images of the merc and spy. So, mostly ignore those.

Gawain

good job. the server settings are too big (pros will play with standart settings anyway). and make the "message:" button into "teamsay/say". you can learn a lot from seefoo's ui ^^

frvge

Did you try to cram every possibility in 1 view? Like the Restrictions and the Lives and stuff?

If you remove the additional stuff that can be under Game Settings or something and the "Map" text, you can place the picture of the Map + the name of the Map a bit down, to fill in the new space.

What's the difference between Players and Friends?

Rest looks good.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Tidenburg

Players = People you've recently played with (incase u wanna invite or friend request them)
Friends = Well, umm.... Freinds

frvge

Yeah, while typing I also thought about that.

However, wouldn't it make sense to only list the online Friends? I think it's annoying when I look for friends and I have to scroll all the way down to see who's online and who's not.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

HeroFromHyrule

I think it might be nice to list all of the friends, but move the online friends to the top or allow you to switch between sorting Alphabetically, Online/Offline, etc.

goodkebab

Tigaer....the layout is good!  I see the influence of seefoo, and i am really happy that he has had this influence and pushed the quality of submissions on here.

Now that the layout is fine,  you need to focus on where you want the user to focus his attention, and then compare that to your image.

right now there is a big fight with the text because everything is white.  And remember, remove all text that does not server a purpose...."GAME LOBBY" is redundant for example  Tactical Espion... and High Tech... are background text graphics...so should appear in the distance and faded.

Keeping that in mind with the rest of the text.

Think about what should be the focus.  the focus should be the players, host, map,  chat, and launch game.  These are the essential things that needs to clear ..if you make the rest of the text compete with it...you lose focal point.

The buttons for essential features like settings, friends, etc etc,  are necessary....but clearly need to be subtle.  These buttons should not compete with the focal point,  but should serve to fill the design.

Also,  I really do believe the stats for each map, although different for some maps, is not an important design element.  Most maps will be probably have the same, so it becomes redundant information after a you have played the game.

All in all,  graphic design is all about showing more by showing less.  The nature of it is simplification to the core information.  It is its own artform, and I have a great respect for it....especially when i see movie posters where the custom font describes exactly the feeling contained within the film. 

frvge

Kebab just said it all.

tigaer

Quote from: goodkebab on July 01, 2007, 10:38:34 PM
Tigaer....the layout is good!  I see the influence of seefoo, and i am really happy that he has had this influence and pushed the quality of submissions on here.

Now that the layout is fine,  you need to focus on where you want the user to focus his attention, and then compare that to your image.

right now there is a big fight with the text because everything is white.  And remember, remove all text that does not server a purpose...."GAME LOBBY" is redundant for example  Tactical Espion... and High Tech... are background text graphics...so should appear in the distance and faded.

Keeping that in mind with the rest of the text.

Think about what should be the focus.  the focus should be the players, host, map,  chat, and launch game.  These are the essential things that needs to clear ..if you make the rest of the text compete with it...you lose focal point.

The buttons for essential features like settings, friends, etc etc,  are necessary....but clearly need to be subtle.  These buttons should not compete with the focal point,  but should serve to fill the design.

Also,  I really do believe the stats for each map, although different for some maps, is not an important design element.  Most maps will be probably have the same, so it becomes redundant information after a you have played the game.

All in all,  graphic design is all about showing more by showing less.  The nature of it is simplification to the core information.  It is its own artform, and I have a great respect for it....especially when i see movie posters where the custom font describes exactly the feeling contained within the film. 

Yeah, I'll work on the focus some more. Thanks for the help bro.

Bionic-Blob

messed about with it a bit, took kebab's suggestions into account. i'd like to see something like this personally.

MR.Mic

I think this is the best layout so far. (blob version)
[size=2]Lead Visual Effects Artist - Advanced Materials, Particles, and Post-Process Effects
Website: http://studentpages.scad.edu/~ctripp20/index.htm][/size]

frvge

Shows too much info on the map IMO.
I'd like to see seefoo's version with kebab's tips.

Succubus Dryad Of The Undying Comet

Will these arrows will be moving?

tigaer

New.

Tell me what you think.

goodkebab

next tip:

use 3 different sized fonts.  1 for header, 1 for body text and 3rd only if you need it...think of it as volume of how loud you want to say what your saying...

"Pros Only" should be no bigger then the Clock font...so it doesnt shout, and also because it is custom to whomever names their server...so give them the freedom of space

edit:  you posted before i finished typing...

gj so far