model of a soldier - a work in progress thread

Started by reason3d, October 29, 2007, 04:48:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farley4Fan

OMFG LOL LMFAO  :D WTF?!?

OMG HAHA!!!11!1

Dude, no offense, that just looks hilarious!  That is serious right?  God damn...  :D

What?  Are you trying to prove yourself?  Are you competing with kebab or something?  Sorry, I just took a look at this thread

goodkebab

Quote from: reason3d on October 31, 2007, 07:37:37 PM
torso cannot be cylindrical if the vest , which is sitting off the body , is flat . i agree the inside , the chest should be cylindrical but we dont see that , we see the vest .

i am still tweaking proportioins . and according to a professional reference it is as wide as it should be , because the vest and jeans are wide cut . also as far as being "stiff as a board" , the soldier should be in a "go" position and not relaxed .

The vest will have to wrap around the torso as well.  You really need to bring the curved surface into that.

You are modelling in the T pose,  which is completely unnecessary for the modelling stage.  The T pose is only for rigging.  The only reason I modelled the merc in the Tpose was because I already had a Rig built that I needed to fit exactly.

You may be using image planes to get your proportions perfect,   but photos will not show volume or how volumes overlap each other.  That requires skilled observation,  which is the greatest asset of any artist.
You cannot only depend on the referance material, you have to analyze you work as well.

If you show your referance i could explain better.

frvge

I think kebab means that there's the cilindrical torso and on top of that the flat armor.
I know that most artists model a body first, including boobs for female characters, even if the character will have a lot of armor in the final phase with no skin showing.
On top of that, the armor is made. This now fits with the body. Because it's torso+armor it's looking better than approximated torso (not really modelled)+armor.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

goodkebab

it would also be a lot easier to model the attachments as seperate pieces.

Dont try to model it finished in the beginning, instead think of stages.  Work first on the body without armour,  then split edges to draw the countours for the armour,  then extrude those.

reason3d

i most definitely see your points , and it is still evolving , but for now since its like what 8 % done ( yeah you papa smurf lol ... since im a far step down from kebab , why dont you fill the nothing spot ?

i have an update with more detail , better normal smoothing and generally just more :

extra perspective image to show that im not retarded lol , and have added at least some dimension :

also as you can probably figure out , when moved from a stiff pose to a rigged battle stance it will round and smooth out more . kthzstfu lol jk bye

Westfall

His clothes are quite baggy for a....soldier??? He just seems too loose. Not enough bulk really.

reason3d

case in point ( except he has them tucked ) :

in reality if your jeans are more than just a bit bigger than your leg , you wont see your leg . after textures are made ill see about adding visible musculature , but thats not the idea i am going for . i guess its a culture thing , the style where i come from isnt very form-fitting , more loose and relaxed , and soldiers do the same thing , though most wear the tighter BDU pants tucked into their boots . it just has a different feel to it . also goes back to the story behind the mod .

the purpose of this low poly models is to facilitate just a plain old surface to apply the textures to . nothing fancy , straight up plain and simple .

the real test for me will be the high polygon normal maps model ... i have done some subdivision before on fairly complex models but i have never done this before so we will see if i can hack it . of course the normals map , much like kebab said will bring out alot of life that is missing .

so in simple terms , this model is very plain , and boring but serves an important purpose , the base for all details .

[EDIT] : just seein what it would look like with some digital urban .

yes pajamas , nothing like fightin in the tough ass streets with hosties everywhere in your jama's lol .

goodkebab

In the picture you posted I can clearly see the form of the leg and the knees under the loose trousers.

What ends up happening if you dont model some form to the trousers is that the just look like PVC tubes for legs.   This is  tube like appearance only becomes more obvious after it gets animated.

reason3d

isnt deformation controllbable with biped ? i've used bones before and there were tools to compensate for most shapes .

if not , im still unsure of what you mean by " some form " ... a leg is a leg to me . you want me to model calves and all that ?

oh btw , the model is currently at ~ 7400 triangles , am i way out of line ?

tigaer

Quote from: reason3d on November 03, 2007, 12:27:12 PM
case in point ( except he has them tucked ) :

in reality if your jeans are more than just a bit bigger than your leg , you wont see your leg . after textures are made ill see about adding visible musculature , but thats not the idea i am going for . i guess its a culture thing , the style where i come from isnt very form-fitting , more loose and relaxed , and soldiers do the same thing , though most wear the tighter BDU pants tucked into their boots . it just has a different feel to it . also goes back to the story behind the mod .

the purpose of this low poly models is to facilitate just a plain old surface to apply the textures to . nothing fancy , straight up plain and simple .

the real test for me will be the high polygon normal maps model ... i have done some subdivision before on fairly complex models but i have never done this before so we will see if i can hack it . of course the normals map , much like kebab said will bring out alot of life that is missing .

so in simple terms , this model is very plain , and boring but serves an important purpose , the base for all details .

[EDIT] : just seein what it would look like with some digital urban .

yes pajamas , nothing like fightin in the tough ass streets with hosties everywhere in your jama's lol .

And..
he looks like a ugly fuck.

You want him to look cool right? Then do the clothes like good kabab, where its not baggy.

Farley4Fan

Baggy clothes are totally fine, as long as they are tucked into boots and have kneepads strapped on.  This way, they are tight in some places and loose in others.  He looks like a skater with those pants and shoes on.

iservealot

This entire thread needs to be moved to an OT section, or locked. This has nothing to do with the presentation of work derived from or for Project Stealth.

Zedblade

Quote from: iservealot on November 04, 2007, 06:57:48 AM
This entire thread needs to be moved to an OT section, or locked. This has nothing to do with the presentation of work derived from or for Project Stealth.

sigh

Does noone read the farkin forum description. This thread belongs here. The forum descriptions clearly freaking states;

Here non-devs can post artwork for constructive criticism.

Westfall

Quote from: Zedblade on November 04, 2007, 07:24:52 AM
Quote from: iservealot on November 04, 2007, 06:57:48 AM

sigh

Does noone read the farkin forum description. This thread belongs here. The forum descriptions clearly freaking states;

Here non-devs can post artwork for constructive criticism.

Yea, if anything its in the best spot for it to be so ppl don't spam it from the forum about PS