Warehouse concept

Started by DrNegative, January 21, 2012, 01:18:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrNegative

I started a Warehouse concept map last night in UDK., just sector one, lighting, stairs, catwalks and windows. I am planning on a build of this map while also revamping it for PS with extra co-op move spots, vents, etc.

Just wondering what you guys thought as to the overall look of it so far. This isn't the beginning of a map build, I just wanted to see if I could recapture the environment before going for real on it.

DreadStunLock

Holy shmoly now that is class!!!!

But, I bet you will quit mid way ¬¬ that's what everyone always does...

feev

frvge

If you want to recreate, don't forget to enhance. Maybe turn the setting around: make it a dome structure that's part of a huge greenhouse/indoor jungle, with sector 2 and 3 being maintenance and/or offices.

The enhancing should IMO be done in gameplay (remove annoyances, add new strategic routes, tweak chokepoints), visuals (good materials and nice models, maybe even animated), sounds (good, realistic sounds from sound libraries, or even better: foley artists), setting/atmosphere (like I said, try something like an indoor jungle) and map settings (tweak spawn times, spawn routes, amount of lives, needed objectives, objective placement and mission time).

And in the end, you've made something that surpasses the original on all possible grounds, while staying true to a well-known map.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

DrNegative

Quote from: frvge on January 21, 2012, 02:50:45 PM
If you want to recreate, don't forget to enhance. Maybe turn the setting around: make it a dome structure that's part of a huge greenhouse/indoor jungle, with sector 2 and 3 being maintenance and/or offices.

Greenhouse...excellent idea, I think I'll try it. I see where you are getting at, be more original, while staying true to the original.

frvge

Also make sure you use your own models and materials (of course, those from libraries are also ok, but mind the license!). That way, you've created all the assets and the floor plan and tactics that are useful are different from the original.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

LennardF1989

Also keep in mind the sizes of things, like vents being 128x128, etc.

AgentX_003

don't listen to the haters , Keep your chin up :D we believe in you :D, Im quite interested in what you can really do :D

-Thanks Murdy for da Sig <3  xD

NeoSuperior

adding a bit balance to the map would be nice too^^ because right now it's a merc map (for sec1 at least)
If there are any orthographic/grammatical errors in this post, you can keep them and, if you want, hang them over your bed ;)

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."
- Mike Godwin

DrNegative

Quote from: frvge on January 21, 2012, 03:52:21 PM
Also make sure you use your own models and materials (of course, those from libraries are also ok, but mind the license!). That way, you've created all the assets and the floor plan and tactics that are useful are different from the original.

I have and will do so. :) Everything in my library is either my own or released under a CC-Attribution ShareAlike license.

Quote from: LennardF1989 on January 21, 2012, 03:58:10 PM
Also keep in mind the sizes of things, like vents being 128x128, etc.

Thanks for the heads up. I found Frvge's post of the most up to date dimensions to use, which would probably make a good sticky for this forum. The map shown in the pictures is currently set to the scale of your spy.

Pusianka

Yep, no doubt it's warehouse but I never liked this map. I hold my thumbs for it. Chliewu also wanted to remake this map. You might wish to drop him a PM when he's online.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHa_jqxnn4o

"- It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.
- Hit it."

AgentX_003

Quote from: Pusianka on January 22, 2012, 09:07:38 AM
Yep, no doubt it's warehouse but I never liked this map. I hold my thumbs for it. Chliewu also wanted to remake this map. You might wish to drop him a PM when he's online.

you read my mind on that note :D

-Thanks Murdy for da Sig <3  xD

DrNegative

This is my attempt per suggestion to remake the Warehouse map into something a little more original, a Greenhouse. I haven't added all the foliage, dirt, or planters yet, but this is the basic idea in my head.

I ommited the sun on purpose, trying to make it darker to better compliment a stealthier spy team.

knooger

Pusianka

Groovy, keep making me jelous it pumps me up. ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHa_jqxnn4o

"- It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.
- Hit it."