1 thing that i hate in UE 3.0

Started by Lauri777, January 16, 2007, 04:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lauri777

First of all...Hi i'm new to the forums :). Back to the topic.

And it is...server-side hit detection. Here's a video about it. Now that what i call host advantage! ;D http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3571084024/m/5791007425

It makes so called "bullet lag" and here's another link.
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3571084024/m/7701048025

On PCs that won't be so big problem, because in many popular games you have 100mb hosts, but what about this project? Normal people hosting games with slow upload speed...that's the main reason why i don't play Rainbow Six:Vegas on xbox 360 anymore (and ofc it uses UE 3.0).
I also have 1 suggestion. Have anybody heard game Crysis? It has a sandbox editor. Crysis uses CryEngine 2 which produces really nice graphics.I'll give you a link about the engine http://www.crytek.com/technology/index.php?sx=eng2

frvge

first two links are down, but that's probably Ubi's fault.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Overstatement

Damn, I wish Gears of War was on the Wii or the PC...anyway

Where the calculations take place...seems like something you can't change in a mod.

And I've seen Farcry1 and read the source code from the SDK. Unfortunately, all the game code is in scripts which make for a boring C++ read. But the editor was pretty cool. I like that terrain editing and the 'play in your editor' feature. Building indoors was kind of silly but apparently, it works. It also does great bumpmapping. But isn't Crysis a DirectX10 game?

Edit: Crysis supports DirectX9(Shader 2.0, 3.0) and DirectX10. Sounds like a lot of work for them.

Valserp

That's 1 thing they did good in DA - bullet hits are clientside.

psyichic

Lauri you do realize that this project currently is not intended to become a console game. right?

Lauri777

Quote from: psyichic on January 20, 2007, 08:30:03 PM
Lauri you do realize that this project currently is not intended to become a console game. right?
Of course, but (not sure though) Epic is going to use server-side hit detection in every game that uses peer-to-peer, because of cheating. Quote from Unreal Technology site:"Client-server model supporting up to 64 players as provided. Also supports non-dedicated server (peer-to-peer mode) with up to 16 players."

Overstatement

The idea of peer-to-peer is that there are no clients or servers (the target audience for that page were programmers!). They should have just stuck to "non-dedicated server", people know what that means. And it didn't say anything on that page about server-side detection (but we can assume it will be).

orthx.Machine

"people hosting games with slow upload speed...that's the main reason why i don't play Rainbow Six:Vegas on xbox 360 anymore (and ofc it uses UE 3.0)."

I get next to no lag on vegas online... it's headshot after headshot on those beeches lol. Lauri didnt know u had it anyway.. u shud play again cos its ace.

frvge

One of the main things is that we'll be able to set up a master-server and dedicated server support ourselves. So in theory, there shouldnt be low upload speeds. We can opt for only dedicated servers and just have a client connect to a server. SO no home/listen-servers. But that's a decision to be made later.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Overstatement

Unreal Tournament 2007 will have one of the best network programming around. There's no need to worry about this anyway. You'll be able to see the ping anyway. No more question marks on most of the servers anymore!

Raz0rx

Quote from: frvge on January 22, 2007, 10:23:04 PM
One of the main things is that we'll be able to set up a master-server and dedicated server support ourselves. So in theory, there shouldnt be low upload speeds. We can opt for only dedicated servers and just have a client connect to a server. SO no home/listen-servers. But that's a decision to be made later.
That'd suck for the Aussie's amongst us.
Imo, there should be like what CT has now...

Ability to host servers, OR run a dedicated.
(But dedicated WONT SUCK like CT, WILL IT GUYS???  ;))

frvge