Main Menu

BETA

Started by JrvUnleashed, November 23, 2010, 06:24:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Succubus Dryad Of The Undying Comet

How did you get it to run?
I'm having problems with the PhysX engine. Besides, I get about 2 to 4 FPS in menus while I get constant 60+ on a computer with a similar setup and windows.

Also, how did you get DirectX to run reliably under wine? I had to extract the files manually and then add the registry keys to the file.

Quote from: frvge on December 30, 2010, 08:24:04 PM
Linux port of UT3 has been officially cancelled by Epic.

I don't know what that means for UDK.

Aww fuck. Really, that's not cool. They should've announced that from the start. Whores.

tigaer

If we released an alpha I can still seeing you guys complaining that it's not finished, too buggy, unbalanced, etc, even if you say you won't, and then we won't want to release anything at all until it's fully 100% done to avoid further complaints, and in turn will cause more complaints. Just wait until we think it's ready.

frvge

I just found out that most I've done in a custom way for the footsteps already exists somewhere on UDN =/. Great. I wanted to refactor that code later anyway, so it's no biggie. :(
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

knooger

Quote from: tigger on December 30, 2010, 08:56:25 PM
If we released an alpha I can still seeing you guys complaining that it's not finished, too buggy, unbalanced, etc, even if you say you won't, and then we won't want to release anything at all until it's fully 100% done to avoid further complaints, and in turn will cause more complaints. Just wait until we think it's ready.
Anyway we will complain, believe me.

@Kokfan
I don't use linux for games atm, but I used to run a few.

You should google a bit about your problem, look there at 4th post
http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?p=3022970

DreadStunLock

Quote from: KnoogeR on December 30, 2010, 09:31:13 PM
Quote from: tigger on December 30, 2010, 08:56:25 PM
Anyway we will complain, believe me.

@Kokfan
I don't use linux for games atm, but I used to run a few.

You should google a bit about your problem, look there at 4th post
http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?p=3022970

He will complain about the most in-depth core insiders of the game, like why is that binary 1 not 0, fix it! Why is that boolean there and not there, why is the integer 1336 and not 1337 XD

While we the "normal" people will complain, why chaff grenades only release 30 chaffs instead of 500 :P

Succubus Dryad Of The Undying Comet

@Knoog
Where do I get the windows files legally?
I only have  a work PC, so I'm pretty limited in options.

knooger

Quote from: Succubus Dryad Of The Undying Comet on December 30, 2010, 10:48:29 PM
@Knoog
Where do I get the windows files legally?
I only have  a work PC, so I'm pretty limited in options.

All files are in Windows folder...
for DX I think you should download DX X SDK.

JrvUnleashed

Quote from: tigaer on December 30, 2010, 08:56:25 PM

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. We'd complain because THAT'S THE POINT OF AN ALPHA. We detect bugs, tell you about them, and you fix them. What kind of crazy developer philosophy do you have?
"misunderestimate"
"Strategery"
"prognosticator"
~George W. Bush

AgentX_003

Quote from: JrvUnleashed on December 31, 2010, 08:38:37 PM

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. We'd complain because THAT'S THE POINT OF AN ALPHA. We detect bugs, tell you about them, and you fix them. What kind of crazy developer philosophy do you have?

His point is that any negative feedback will negatively effect peoples preceptions /the popularity.

Also not everyone is so dedicated to tell developers about problems of the game and are just in it for playing,  I however am not one of em but just saying what  I have seen over the years when it comes to beta testing.

-Thanks Murdy for da Sig <3  xD

JrvUnleashed

Quote from: AgentX_003 on December 31, 2010, 08:45:04 PM

His point is that any negative feedback will negatively effect peoples preceptions /the popularity.

Also not everyone is so dedicated to tell developers about problems of the game and are just in it for playing,  I however am not one of em but just saying what  I have seen over the years when it comes to beta testing.

*Cough* Minecraft *Cough*
"misunderestimate"
"Strategery"
"prognosticator"
~George W. Bush

Farley4Fan

Quote from: AgentX_003 on December 31, 2010, 08:45:04 PM

Yeah, that's not true at all.  Negative feedback isn't "negative feedback".  It is feedback that will help the final game, that's postive.  Who plays a beta and expects a flawless game?  That's what the "THIS IS A BETA" disclaimer at the loading screen is for.  If PS "loses popularity" because of some "negative" feedback about a game that is in alpha or beta, then who needs that kind of level of immaturity to boost its popularity?  I'd rather not see a bunch of people who expect perfection on the first go-round populating the community anyway, cuz they're stupid.

What JRV said.

DreadStunLock

The way I see it, people will report the bugs and wait, other people will say, OMG THIS IS SO LAGGY/BUGGY UNPLAYABLE CRAPPY GAME, and after that it hits their head that it's only in alpha stage.

Though it would be simple to just remove those posts as soon as they occur and depend on people who are trying to play for just having fun and enjoy themselves.

If they made an alpha that is buggy, I wouldn't mind, and I am sure 10 people in this forum or more wouldn't either.

tigaer

I wasn't talking about constructive help, but a flood of new members bashing the game isn't going to help our motivation at all. I know that you guys will, for the most part, be very helpful like you were for the HUD designs, at least in my case. If I signed on one morning and saw the forum full of constant bashing, I'd be pretty unmotivated to continue working on the project, even though I would continue to do so of course.

From what I've noticed, basically our entire community here are perfectionists and we don't want to give you guys something shitty. I've been looking through all our progress these last few hours and I seriously cannot wait until we have a playable beta so we can all play together, but until then just wait a little while longer.

I just finished a bunch of stuff for the UI (menus) and it is looking pretty sweet. I can't wait until we're able to share it with you guys to hear your thoughts and suggestions. I think it's going to surprise a lot of you guys, since really, nobody has heard anything about the concepts put into the UI so I can't wait until we're ready to show it and see what you all think. :)

frvge

That's right. Releasing (pre) alpha or unpolished beta stuff would hurt us more in the PR department.

However, focus testing is possible with a small number of people from the community who we pick by hand.

All in due time, but it's now sooner than later :)
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Tidenburg

Yeah, was gonna say. Just do a closed beta for some people who are on the forums or something. That way we'll know that it's pre-alpha and not just be some randomer from indiedb who just thinks you're all shit developers ;D