Main Menu

Weapons Animator

Started by Oatbunches, July 23, 2009, 09:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oatbunches

Hello, everyone! The name's Oatbunches, and let me tell you, I'm very much impressed by the work that's been done by the development team. I hope I would soon be able to join you talented bunch.

If you like you may call me by my real name, Mike. I am 18 years old, and am working full-time (for the time being) with my father in a tool and die shop.

I seem to have an usual skill, which is why I am applying. I believe I am pretty good at animating weapons. In games, especially FPSs, I've many a times been upset by sub-par and poor animations for weapons. To me, they somewhat killed the experience and feel of the gameplay. I've started animating quite recently, actually, about 5-6 months ago with 3dsmax. I've imported the weapons and hand rigs, and got to animating. I could finish a complete set, including idle, drawing, shooting, jamming, and what I consider the most important, reloading. So, let me give you some examples albeit only several. Mind you, I did these on my free time, so they definitely could be further improved if I had the dedication to do so, which I know I would have if I was part of this team. And, if you'd like, I could do a try-out run for any weapons you may have ready. I thank you for your time  :)

http://www.youtube.com/user/PillsHeeur

frvge

Hey,

Would you want to do 'normal' first-person anims too? So not only reloading/shooting (because we currently only have 1 weapon), but also running with the weapon, jumping etc? After all, each movement should in some way affect the position of the arms/gun. You'll have to base those on third-person animations.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Oatbunches

Yes, I would be more than happy to do so. I could definitely do leans, jumps, melee attacks, no problem. If it's first person, I can do it, and trust me, I can do it well. I'm a quick learner. Most of those videos I put up have been made a week or two after I first started animating. And I am very open to criticism so I won't go all sour if there's something you want changed or fixed. I can get to work as soon as you'd like if you have anything that's ready for animating.

LennardF1989

Do you have some reels/portfolio for us please :)?

frvge

Quote from: LennardF1989 on July 23, 2009, 11:40:15 PM
Do you have some reels/portfolio for us please :)?
It's on his youtube page.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

frvge

We only have a Maya rig, so do you want to give Maya a try?

Oatbunches

Well, I have yet to use Maya, but I could definitely get my hands on it and start animating if need be. But I'm almost positive there's an import function in 3ds max for Maya files. Either way I could get the job done.   :)

LennardF1989

Quote from: Oatbunches on July 24, 2009, 06:19:34 PM
Well, I have yet to use Maya, but I could definitely get my hands on it and start animating if need be. But I'm almost positive there's an import function in 3ds max for Maya files. Either way I could get the job done.   :)
Rigs are practically impossible to port from Maya to Max, sorry.

I suggest you get Maya and try to mess with some random rig, it's not that hard once you know how it works, the animating skill remains the same after all ;)

goodkebab

The only thing that is possible is importing FBX,  so that you can have the bones and weighting.

That is NOT  the rig though.  The rig would have to be built on top of the skeleton,  and I am afraid i will not be able to do that.

Oatbunches

Not a problem, guys. I'll get my hands on Maya and get comfortable animating with a couple other rigs. Like I promised before, the job can be done  :)

And please let me know if you have any further questions regarding my work because I would like to know how I can better suit development.

One last thing  :P
It seems as though the general consensus among some folks on 3d design forums is that Maya is more catered towards 3d animation than 3ds max is. I have yet to try out character animation, but its possible I possess the same skill for it as I do with my weapons. I know you guys already got some basic character animations fleshed out, but if you'd like I can see what I can put together myself.

frvge

Only the Merc is left. Spy is basically done, besides tweaking.

Oatbunches

Okay guys, I know it's been almost a year now, but I'm back. Work, school, and other life changes have rearranged my priorities. If you guys are still interested, I want to help out now that I have the opportunity and time. I'm getting a copy of Maya from a friend either today or tomorrow which will allow me to start work on your rigs if you decide to let me try out. I would be very happy to contribute to Project Stealth, and help give it some more polish with my contributions. I'm quite the perfectionist, so be rest assured you'll get animations with precision and believability in mind. The newest videos on my youtube page are about 8 months old. I have come a long way in terms of experience since then. But I am also open to any suggestions, so do not hesitate to say something.  :)

frvge

Hi, we currently have enough animators. We might need a general animator for props later, but for now we don't have things to do.

Thanks for applying :)