Character Animation - Motion Capture

Started by Blane, November 15, 2006, 03:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frvge

Cool :) I am a freerunning fan, but it ends at watching the movies on youtube etc  XD
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Zedblade

I've done a lot of rotoscoping in Shake while I was in college. Its the most tedius thing in the world. I'd rather eat nails and have sex with a 1000 pound women named steve.

Blane

Thanks. You wouldn't use the name  'sc(+)pe' or something similar for gaming would you..? Your name rings a bell but I'm sure there are many scopes out there.  :D

-Blane

iservealot

some of his videos look like they would make interesting maps.

scope2005

Quote from: Blane on April 06, 2007, 11:59:33 AM
Thanks. You wouldn't use the name  'sc(+)pe' or something similar for gaming would you..? Your name rings a bell but I'm sure there are many scopes out there.  :D

-Blane

Yeah :) thats me, I used to play with aki a lot. I been around since SCPT, and i dont think I've seen another "sc(+)pe" in SC yet :)

goodkebab

Until we get a full time animator,  I dont see why we need to have Blane start recording custom Vids for us. He already has a lot of stuff we can use for inspiration.

Once we have an animator,  he can make requests of what footage he needs.  Dont forget we have real time footage of all animations in CT and DA already.  That is as good as it gets for current animation referance.

I see Blane being really helpful once we start adding animations not in the aformentioned games.

I personally want to see lots of these kind of cool moves in the game.  Things like vertical wall climbs, wall jumps UP walls.  If a freerunner can do it, I dont see why we cant have our spy do it.  Things like jumping from a pipe to a ledge grab,  using split jumps to between walls to go UP.  This will make very interesting map designs and provide a way to keep maps open and vertical without choke points, and make it really fun for spies.

By keeping maps vertical,  you can increase the size and depth of the map without making to big for the mercs or need to speed up animations so that people can get acrossed the map.

Again, all this wont be possible unless we geta full time animator.  I can do it -even accurately, just not quickly.

Blane

I've seen you around and played a few PCW's against you in CS 1.6 Scope, I'll say hi next time I see you around if you still play CS.  ;)

goodkebab - I'll make a quick distinction between a freerunner (and freerunning) and Parkour... it might be the difference between me being useful for this project and you wanting to find someone else.

Freerunning is a more creative form of movement emphasizing style and more acrobatic type movements and flair.

Parkour is a very direct form of movement and focuses on learning and using techniques that allow you to move efficiently and with speed. I think this is more along the lines of what you would want for this game since the spies would want to use purely efficient movements to escape from the mercs, they wouldn't waste energy or time since their lives would depend on escaping quickly.

I'm a traceur, a practitioner of Parkour and I can help you with almost anything related to efficient movements through an rural or urban environment that would be used to escape a pursuer . You may want to contact a freerunner if you wish to incorporate some less efficient movements in to the game such as acrobatics and flair.

I would strongly suggest not going down that road but the choice is of course not mine to make. The Splinter Cell games have always focused on efficiency when it came to moving through the environment and I think this game should follow the same principles.

As soon as an animator is appointed, I'm willing to help them by giving advice, filming specific movements for reference and answering any questions they might have. Perhaps I could even be of some use to level designers in suggesting obstacles and routes that the spies could use to escape?

Just let me know how I can contribute, the material I've already posted in this thread is available to be used by anyone involved in this project.

-Blane

goodkebab

Thanx a lot Blane,

Now I know the differance between Parkour and freerunning....previously i thought freerunning was the same thing.

Blane

Another new video with some new stuff - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iWfWRpHGGSg

Still willing to help out with anything, just say the word. Unconditional offer for when the time comes.  :)

*B*

Succubus Dryad Of The Undying Comet

Brilliant vid - i want all of this in PS.

MulleDK19

Cool.... I saw the exact same video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWfWRpHGGSg&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eblane%2Dparkour%2Eblogspot%2Ecom%2F

a few weeks ago... lol.. what a coincedence...

I've always wanted to learn Parkour :'(

If my heart ever heals, I will make sure it'll never break again.

frvge

Blane, we haven't forgotten about your offer ;) It's a matter of time I think, although that's not official.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Wanted_David

Blane, you OWN! I couldn't agree more with you. This Project needs some PK moves, and you're the right guy to show the devs how animations should be done.
BTW, I loved that leap-to-cat at 1:43 in. It's much harder to pull a cat if you do it in lower platforms/walls (yeah, I've done it myself, and banged my butt pretty hard to the ground a couple of times :P).
http://i11.tinypic.com/4pnk9jo.jpg[/img]
Wanna see something weird?Click here[/url]

Blane

Thanks guys. :)

No worries if there's no use for me in the end, I won't be offended. I just wanted you all to know I'm supportive of this cause and would like to help. I hope to make up for my lack of technical computer and art knowledge, perhaps with some assistance to the animator(s).

I'll check back here often for updates or you can pm me, which I will find out about via email.  :)

*B*