Character Animation - Motion Capture

Started by Blane, November 15, 2006, 03:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Overstatement

Actually, I think we really need you right now but you come in 4 month periods.

Blane

Just because I don't visit here regularly or post in all of the forums doesn't mean I'm 'away for 4 months' at a time. I'm simply waiting for requests and training my ass off.

QuoteUntil we get a full time animator,  I dont see why we need to have Blane start recording custom Vids for us. He already has a lot of stuff we can use for inspiration.

Once we have an animator,  he can make requests of what footage he needs.

If you need me right now, then what would you like me to do?

*B*

Bionic-Blob

i'm sure we can put a list together for you now. just because the animator doesn't need them just yet, doesn't mean we have to delay. i'll have a chat around for ye.

Overstatement

Yeah, me and Lennard are having a disagreement on where the arms would be while the spy is falling. Can you find a 5 story building and jump off it?

Edit: I thought you were volunteering for motion capturing but apparently we need a studio. Can't you just buy a bunch of ping-pong balls and we'll use some program to translate your movements from videos you send us?

Blane

Hehe, at first I thought you were an idiot Overstatement, but after browsing around a bit I've noticed a similar sarcastic tone to your posts so I guess this is normal and I won't respond to its apparent harshness..  :D

I guess falling will have to be looked at and done realistically but unfortunately it's not something I'm very good at, having only done it a few times. Maybe you could spend a day attempting to try some of the things in these videos and record it... I think we'll end up with some good resource material.  ;)

Bionic-Blob - Thank you, I'll check back here regularly for the list!

*B*

Bionic-Blob

Quote from: Overstatement on October 05, 2007, 12:40:24 PM
Yeah, me and Lennard are having a disagreement on where the arms would be while the spy is falling. Can you find a 5 story building and jump off it?

Edit: I thought you were volunteering for motion capturing but apparently we need a studio. Can't you just buy a bunch of ping-pong balls and we'll use some program to translate your movements from videos you send us?

you'd have to have your arms upwards mid-jump, otherwise how are you going to grab onto rails/ledges?

B1nArY_001

If you guys are talking about just dropping through air, the arm position isn't static, it's based on how the air and gravity is pulling/pushing your body and where you need to position them to shift weight or create resistance in the air in order to maintain the body positioning for a landing whether it be grabbing a ledge or landing on the ground/rolling. Though you have to be falling rather quickly to get any sort of rudder effect in the air so it's mostly shifting weight.

Edit: I'm sure having them extended above the shoulder with a small amount of "flailing" to give the illusion he is stabilizing himself would work fairly well.

Farley4Fan

Well, if I jumped off of a 5 story building then it probably wouldn't be too pretty.  But if a highly trained, agile spy were to, then it would look a lot more smooth and in control.  I think his arms should be raised slightly around his neck ready to recover after a long fall.

goodkebab

What Blane is offering would be used for "Rotoscoping".   That is where the he records raw footage which the animator uses as referance while animating.  In 2d cell animation,  they would actually trace every frame....and then draw over that to get a more cartoon feel to the drawing.  In 3d,  tracing is obviously limited because the animation has to look good from all angles when the video is only 2d.

Overstatement,  you should exercise  a level of maturity when people are offering help.

greenday5494

you lucky SOB. lol, the ladies must be all over ya! :D

limikkin

Blane, i just wanted to say...i couldnt be more excited to have you involved.

mos definitely a valuable resource! ;)

and actually if you cut through most of Overstatement's ...overstatements. I could use the reference for a fall, when he rolls. I've seen them in vid, usually after climbing to the top of a ledge. I know that's rather a simple request for you, but i'll have more coming.

oh yeah, and it only needs to be on the ground...pls, dont try it from 5 stories up, unless Overstatement is on the ground below to break your fall....lol

I gotta give it to Overstatement...just based on his nick alone, he obviously knows himself.

gnothi seauton

Blane

lol, so you just want some different angles of me rolling on the ground from a higher level..? If so, no problem, I'll get on it.

*B*

neth

Blane we need video when someone dies after jumping off the plane, could you be so kind ? ;)

Hybrid Circle

I can see this as being an important source material for the animators of this project.

Free running/ Parkour should be an Olympic sport IMO. Blane could offer up some important insight, exclusive to PS.

Also could be the inclusio of new moves for spies that wouldn't be too over the top. (IE jumping from one wall to the oposite wall whilst doing a 180 turn to grab a ledge.

frvge

That's a  pretty nice and original idea!
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.