OMG where's the new stuff?

Started by frvge, July 12, 2011, 10:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cronky

My question is... How many people will actually have a card/computer that can take advantage of DX11 at this moment in time (extending to whenever PS is released)?

Also, in that video there were some dramatic changes in some of the environments and detail. If the same level of "Upgraded Graphics" happened to PS, would it give an advantage to people who upgraded? I'm mainly focusing on the Water/Shadow/Reflection stuff that was shown in that video when saying this.
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------
xFire:Cronkbot | Steam:Cronky

Tidenburg

Well, my card supports it, if that's what you mean. :3

Cronky

I have a feeling that I'm going to regret asking that question, and in the process feel poorer and poorer with each response. ;)
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------

DreadStunLock

One thing now I am wondering about is, how will we get the audience to play a game and to actually download it? You guys going to need to create a very nice trailer just so it's possible to get people attracted, it's going to be hard to even invite real life friends, cause this type of genre is not really known.

frvge

Distribution channels. Indie sites. Game press (digital and magazines). The usual.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

VaNilla

This is the wrong place to say it, but after I've finished work on a couple of projects of my own I'll be available to make a trailer, if you want. Judging by the time taken so far I imagine you'll be done near the end of the year/next year, so that shouldn't be a problem :P. Some of my old work is here, but it's not an up to date 'portfolio' as such, as I also direct in real life.

www.youtube.com/justanotheraccount

DreadStunLock

Stone@ Those are some nice videos. Really enjoyed watching those, especially the Conviction clips.

I was thinking, can mercenaries get a simple cover system? Like Crysis 2 maybe? Or even Rainbow Six: Vegas 2?

Cronky

What would the Merc need to have a cover system for?
-----------------------

NeoSuperior

If there are any orthographic/grammatical errors in this post, you can keep them and, if you want, hang them over your bed ;)

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."
- Mike Godwin

DreadStunLock

Quote from: Cronky on August 02, 2011, 07:28:29 PM
What would the Merc need to have a cover system for?

If you have a doorway, you can slip into the side of the door and see what's inside the room without the spy really knowing, and it would bring just a bit of the realism if you could be a bit stealthy as well, because even though mercenaries aren't really a stealth class, that doesn't mean they cannot use it for their own advantage.

+ as Meister pointed out, it would prevent a spy from tazing you too easily.

SteveTheCookie

Quote from: DreadStunlock on August 02, 2011, 07:58:05 PM
If you have a doorway, you can slip into the side of the door and see what's inside the room without the spy really knowing
You mean it would become 3rd person?

Cronky

How many situations in CT have you been in where you're actively trying to hide from a spy...? Yes, it's funny when you do something "Spy-like" as a Merc (jumping on a spy, Sneaking up on a Spy, ...tazing a spy), but that's only really funny because the Merc is supposed to be the exact opposite of stealth. It's like nicknaming a really big guy "Tiny".

If on the other hand there were an option to say, give each team a Merc or even to play a Merc only game (ideas that were brought up a while back), then I'd be all over this. Since in those cases you'd probably need a cover system to do things like not getting shot (by a gun that can actually kill you).

I'd be more down with a tighter cover system for the Spy. You know, the class that is supposed to be hiding behind stuff and checking rooms without the other team knowing. Hell, it'd be sweet if there was a cover to cover system like Conviction had, though I don't expect that to ever be a reality (because of the work involved).
-----------------------

DreadStunLock

Quote from: Cronky on August 02, 2011, 08:38:19 PM
How many situations in CT have you been in where you're actively trying to hide from a spy...? Yes, it's funny when you do something "Spy-like" as a Merc (jumping on a spy, Sneaking up on a Spy, ...tazing a spy), but that's only really funny because the Merc is supposed to be the exact opposite of stealth. It's like nicknaming a really big guy "Tiny".

If, on the other hand, there were an option to say... give each team a Merc, or even to play a Merc only game (ideas that were brought up a while back) then I'd be all over this. Since in those cases you'd probably need a cover system to do things like to not get shot (by a gun that can actually kill you).

I'd be more down with a tighter cover system for the Spy. You know, the class that is supposed to be hiding behind stuff and checking rooms without the other team knowing. Hell, it'd be sweet if there was a cover to cover system like Conviction had, though I don't expect that to ever be a reality (because of the work involved).

Well, I always have a lot of moments where I want to stick to the wall and spray the whole room with bullets without allowing a spy to incapacitate me with ease.

DreadStunLock

Quote from: SteveTheCookie on August 02, 2011, 08:29:53 PM
Quote from: DreadStunlock on August 02, 2011, 07:58:05 PM
If you have a doorway, you can slip into the side of the door and see what's inside the room without the spy really knowing
You mean it would become 3rd person?

Don't see why not, you are going to be with your back to the wall.

Cronky

Quote from: DreadStunlock on August 02, 2011, 08:48:29 PM
Well, I always have a lot of moments where I want to stick to the wall and spray the whole room with bullets without allowing a spy to incapacitate me with ease.

This only sounds like a worthwhile idea IF the spy could actually kill you with his gun. Don't read this the wrong way, this does sound like a move that could be added and it wouldn't change much at all, but the reasons behind it at this point in time are very... flimsy. Again, IF the spy could actually kill you with his gun, or you were able to have a mixed team, then this idea would make more sense because you would use cover to not die. At this point you're just trying to rid yourself of a minor annoyance (getting tazed), while making it "easier" for you to kill the spy.

----Random explanation of my mindset on this idea----
Merc's not having a cover system just never seemed like a problem in CT, and implementing the move doesn't sound like it would add much to the gameplay. Sure, PS is going to play differently than CT in some ways, but I don't think this is going to be one of the ways that it's going to be different and thus in need of a solution.
-----------------------