Main Menu

Stealth games

Started by frvge, September 07, 2011, 12:19:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frvge

I'm currently enjoying the hardcoreness of Chronicles of Riddick (Escape from Butcher Bay) and will finish Dark Athena too, before jumping into Deus Ex.

Let's make a list of _good_ stealth games, or games that have an interesting/strategic way of 'stealth'.

Each post can only contain one, previously not named, game. I'll kick it off with the obvious winner:

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

VaNilla

All the Metal Gear Solid games. Pokemon Silver.

Farley4Fan

Cronky

Hitman 2...

Seems like this well is going to dry up pretty quick ;)
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------
xFire:Cronkbot | Steam:Cronky

SteveTheCookie

The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (just one small part of it though... the level was called Forsaken Fortress I think.)

knooger

Cronky

Thief 2....

NAH not really (well yeah, it's true, but I'm not gonna do that again)

Commandos Series (Mainly Commandos 2 in my opinion)
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------

LennardF1989

There are different types of stealth, IMO there is the "I was never here"-stealth (sneak-stealth) and "Yes, I killed a few but none knew what hit 'em"-stealth (action-stealth) and a mixture of the two where you can't really do just one.

- Deus Ex Human Revolution has EXCELLENT support for both
- Thief 3 (didn't play the others) is a good example of the two combined
- Velvet Assassin (recently purchased), while it's a bit clunky, the "limited defense" makes the gameplay interesting, though the stealth is on the action side, as you are forced to get rid of the enemies on your path.
- Hitman Series
- Splinter Cell (NO WAI!)
- Metal Gear Solid
- Syphon Filter
- Commando's Strike Force, one character is a spy who can steal clothings and has a backstab :D I can't really count the full Commando's series as being stealth, though...
- Batman Arkham Asylum, the stealth is pretty fun in that one, looking forward to Arkham City later this year.
- Assassin's Creed is stealth in the biggest sense of the word, unfortunately, you always end-up blowing you're cover or being exposed by super-eyed AI.
- Chronicles of Riddick

Can't really think up any other stealth games, the list of available stealth games seems somewhat limited. The reason for this is pretty obvious. Stealth is a difficult genre. I have to come up with a stealth-game later this year for a class, it has to feature at least "light and shadow"-play, but what would you add beyond that point to make it qualify as stealth? Especially on a deadline, adding things like smart AI is time-consuming, so it comes down to a very important question you have to ask yourself in this topic: How do you define stealth? and then How does that make a game a stealth-game? Stealth itself is not just sneaking around in shadows, flying a plane under the radar and keep it undetected is also stealth.

Yes, I got bored explaining why things fit in a certain category after Velvet Assassin.

Cronky

Lennard!

Quote from: frvge on September 07, 2011, 12:19:01 AM
Each post can only contain one, previously not named, game.

;)
ALSO...

Quote from: LennardF1989 on September 07, 2011, 02:56:30 PM
- Commando's Strike Force, one character is a spy who can steal clothings and has a backstab :D I can't really count the full Commando's series as being stealth, though...

I said the series because you have to be stealthy (especially in the early games) to actually win. Now, just like your definition you stated, it IS a game where you usually have to KILL (or KO) your opposition as you can't just sneak past them most of the time. I count Strike Force as a HUGE departure from the Commandos series though and, in my opinion, the weakest of the series. Granted I never actually played it much. I just didn't care for a change of perspective. It's like if Command and Conquer went FPS... OH WAIT! IT DID! (didn't play Renegade either. Heard it was okay though.)

While Commandos 2 does force you into action situations, the majority of the game (especially the first non-tutorial level) must be played with stealth. It's also, again in my opinion, the strongest and most well built of all the games in the series. The levels and objectives/restrictions were diverse, the tutorial wasn't TOO "Hand holdy" but also informative, the characters were unique with abilities/restrictions, and there was a plethora of extras for you to find if you were so inclined to exploring.

Overall Commandos 2 is one of my favorite stealth (by my definition) games of all time... Or at least the most uniquely put together one I've played to date. Every other entry into the series wasn't as well built. Whether it was the earlier games having touchy mechanics (enemies reacted SO fast), or the newer games (mostly Commandos 3) levels feeling randomly thrown together (felt more like a full price Commandos 2 expansion pack instead of it's own game, or otherwise put, L4D2 syndrome ;))
-----------------------

LennardF1989

I misinterpreted the rules.

Cronky

Don't you lie. You just didn't read that far. ;)

Forgot to mention another game...

Depending on how you define "Stealth-Action" Goldeneye on N64.
-----------------------

Wh1tE_Dw4rF

Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

Hiding has never been so much fun.

Farley4Fan

soo... /thread?

Maybe post upcoming stealth games instead?

Dishonored sounds great.  A stealth game where you can summon rats to eat your enemies or play through it without killing anyone at all.  Uhm, yes please.

But for one coming out this year I suggest the MGS HD collection.  Comes with MGS2, MGS3 Snake Eater, and MGS Peace Walker.

Cronky

Oh oh oh! If we can mention partial parts of games then...

First level of Time Splitters 2 (and various other parts)!

(I just love Time Splitters 2 in general but much like Goldeneye (which I added to my post above) though, it's more just a gimmick then a real way to play)
-----------------------

knooger

I.G.I 1 and 2 - that was a nice game.