"What artists/programmers are proud of"-thread

Started by frvge, November 25, 2010, 01:39:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AgentX_003

Quote from: Farley4Fan on December 07, 2010, 07:39:18 AM
I have an idea for an animation after a long period of the merc being idle.  You have the merc take out a sharpie pen from his utility belt.  He takes off the cap.  He writes on the merc's screen (his own face) in backwards writing: "Oh hai, you have been gone a long time.  Imma draw some stush on ur visor lawls"  *the merc's hand/sharpie proceeds to draw weeners and boobs and things of that immature nature.  This way, mercs that go AFK will come back to get a bunch of things drawn on their screen and have to play with the handicap of multiple weeners on his sound indicator.

seek help

-Thanks Murdy for da Sig <3  xD

Cronky

Quote from: AgentX_003 on December 07, 2010, 08:38:15 AM
I have an idea for an animation after a long period of the merc being idle.  You have the merc take out a sharpie pen from his utility belt.  He takes off the cap.  He writes on the merc's screen (his own face) in backwards writing: "Oh hai, you have been gone a long time.  Imma draw some stush on ur visor lawls"  *the merc's hand/sharpie proceeds to draw weeners and boobs and things of that immature nature.  This way, mercs that go AFK will come back to get a bunch of things drawn on their screen and have to play with the handicap of multiple weeners on his sound indicator.

seek help

I agree. Cause this idea wont become real on just forum posts alone!
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------
xFire:Cronkbot | Steam:Cronky

DreadStunLock

Quote from: Cronky on December 07, 2010, 09:04:43 AM

seek help

I agree. Cause this idea wont become real on just forum posts alone!

Make sure it has "David Beckham's Stolen Sharpie" on the sharpie itself :)

But I really want that idea to be a reality!

Gawain

i'm proud of learning automator/apple script. does that qualify? ;P

DreadStunLock

Quote from: Rambo on December 07, 2010, 03:21:40 PM
i'm proud of learning automator/apple script. does that qualify? ;P

Where is your Green/Red | | | | | | | on your title? :P

Farley4Fan

Lol Agent told me to seek help lol

So, is there a spot on the development team for planning idle animations (not making them just brainstorming them)???

I will make a thread on the join-us section if this doesn't get an answer quickly. 

I'm cereal.

CurdyMilk

seek help
ROFL! 

Quote from: Cronky on December 07, 2010, 05:37:33 AM
On top of all this though should be a "Long Term" idle animation. Like after... 5 (10, 15, whatever makes sense) seconds of not moving a little shoulder shrug kind of thing should happen, or the Merc inspects his gun a little bit, or... pretty much anything can happen. A tiny visual cue subtly telling the player to move his ass.

Dread may have been talking about this with the "Gun to chest thing", and if he was then that would work also.
Idle animations are fine as long as they are not repetitive.  If the same thing happens every time a person is idle (or even a few things), it can get old quickly.  The only way it would be reasonable is if there are at least 5 or 6 idle animations...but this is probably a waste of time considering more important things need to be done.

frvge

We've had multiple idle anims from multiple animators. We'll see what gets implemented in the end and what not. For now we're mostly using comicsserg's first-person animations.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

DreadStunLock

Yeah about that, you really need to show some spy stuff, like taking out tazer, shooting with it, Jumping, sneaking, those movement things.

By the way is the next update any time soon? :))

Cronky

Quote from: CurdyMilk on December 07, 2010, 07:48:42 PM
Quote from: Cronky on December 07, 2010, 05:37:33 AM
On top of all this though should be a "Long Term" idle animation. Like after... 5 (10, 15, whatever makes sense) seconds of not moving a little shoulder shrug kind of thing should happen, or the Merc inspects his gun a little bit, or... pretty much anything can happen. A tiny visual cue subtly telling the player to move his ass.

Dread may have been talking about this with the "Gun to chest thing", and if he was then that would work also.
Idle animations are fine as long as they are not repetitive.  If the same thing happens every time a person is idle (or even a few things), it can get old quickly.  The only way it would be reasonable is if there are at least 5 or 6 idle animations...but this is probably a waste of time considering more important things need to be done.

The point really is to make them "annoying". They can look really cool, but there are only two situations in which you'll "See" it more than once:

A.) You're camping for an Amount of time. (This excludes camnet and sniping because you can't see yourself)

or

B.) You're AFK

It's also why I said to make it happen in intervals that make sense. If it happened every 3 seconds then even a reasonably active person would see it more than they should. Making it happen every 10 or 15 seconds... I'm hard pressed to find a reason you would need to sit still that long without actually "doing something" (See the exclusions in situation A).

It gears your players with a standard of play without blatantly telling them what to do.

Could be seen as a waste of time, but as I've said with 99% of the things I end up saying something about... it doesn't have to be there day 1 of beta. This is obviously a very minor feature, but it sounds to me to be something at least a little worth while.
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------

frvge

Quote from: DreadStunLock on December 07, 2010, 08:00:46 PM
Yeah about that, you really need to show some spy stuff, like taking out tazer, shooting with it, Jumping, sneaking, those movement things.

By the way is the next update any time soon? :))

I don't recall anything about a 'next update'.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

DreadStunLock

What happened to the Artists/programmers are proud of "Update" thing...

LennardF1989

idle happens whenever you stand still, don't stand still and you won't see the idle, it's not like you magically stop breathing for 15 seconds or anything.

We only had a few things to show, dread, it's not like we opened up the archives or anything :P

Cronky

Quote from: LennardF1989 on December 07, 2010, 10:13:33 PM
idle happens whenever you stand still, don't stand still and you won't see the idle, it's not like you magically stop breathing for 15 seconds or anything.

I'm not sure who you were replying to, or whether this was agreeing or disagreeing with the idea of a 2nd idle animation.

I like it though. Plus I would get to see more Merc animations this way! (Or spy, who knows)
-----------------------

DreadStunLock

Also guys, will we be able to see our teammates idle animation? Like every gun movement that happens on his screen will we be able to see it? I think that a great idea for more detail.

Also when a spy is idle, maybe you can make a small move where he stands on his 1 arm, and just balances with his feet up, I think that would be really cool.

Something of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXtaiQoocMo one of those moves.

Or, like in Warcraft 3, Demon hunter stands on his 1 foot, bending his foot and placing it on his knee, balancing and doing some kind of a hand sign or whatever, I think that would be sweet.