Community Map: stage 2: overall themes

Started by frvge, September 25, 2012, 07:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frvge

In stage 1, the map that got most votes was the Airport.

At this stage, it's time to think about the following:
- which kinds of objectives?
- what kind of map flow (sector/open world/hybrid)
- art direction and color scheme of the map

Please note that I haven't put up the 'design' of the map itself. Usually that can be done in parallel, but in this case I dont think that's a good way.

Sooooo let's flesh out the points above a bit more to get consensus and get past the brainstorm phase.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

frvge

Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

NeoSuperior

See? That's what you get by taking "airport"! If we had fort knox, i would have already written a very constructive text, but no... people say "nah i rather have airport" and then they just run away and hide because they did not actually think about it at all before or after voting (it seems).
If there are any orthographic/grammatical errors in this post, you can keep them and, if you want, hang them over your bed ;)

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."
- Mike Godwin

frvge

Noone's stopping you from making a banking vault in the airport...

NeoSuperior

Well... it was only said "airport"... NO ONE said that it has to be a civil airport 8)

Ok it will be the military airport of Area 51!

Jokes aside I think it would be nice if a plane's interior would be included. But I also think it would be good if there was a direct entrance into the plane from the airport, like this:

If there are any orthographic/grammatical errors in this post, you can keep them and, if you want, hang them over your bed ;)

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."
- Mike Godwin

frvge

Well, if you want to make a post with pictures that you think would be nice to have as an art direction, make it :)

Cronky

It's getting pretty quiet in here!

I'd like to see a level much like warehouse... or perhaps it's more like museum.. Not sure. Spies first have to go through the baggage area (like where baggage gets sorted to the appropriate planes), then the baggage check area (with all the metal detectors and whatnot) , then ending part takes place in the main area the airport (restaurants, shops, etc.). So pretty much like you're going through the airport opposite of what a normal person would do.

I see the Spies starting on the tarmac. Not sure how they got there... vehicle, parachute, hopped a fence... but perhaps their spawn in a Maintenance shack. One entrance leading from there. Other entrances require you going outside.

Mercs have a view of outside (and thus the spy spawn) from the passenger waiting area. That area is an overhang portion of the building, entrances located below so that Mercs cant just see exactly where the Spies are going, but instead see the direction and Spies could change up from there. The windows are bullet-proof though, so there is only watching, no sniping.

As for what kind of objectives... I never really care. It doesn't seem like there is ever really a rhyme or reason as to what objectives are where anyway. Other than making sabotage centrally located, disk hunt farther away and everywhere else neutralization, it seems like it doesn't matter.

Art direction... airport-like. ;)
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------
xFire:Cronkbot | Steam:Cronky

RaDRoacH

i fell useless... or maybe i am useless :D
there was more than 10 people who voted the airport... buh... where's the guy who did that "art project" and said "airport will be cool location"?
I think that there must be escalators, 1st floor for check- in, metal detectors, and other stuff, and the 2nd floor should have shops and restaurants like cronky said.
uhm... i think that i'm going take some ideas from CoD:MW2 map... lol

meister's idea infact reminds me the map from MW2.
Sorry if my english is not perfect.

AgentX_003

Quote from: RaDRoacH on October 14, 2012, 11:25:17 PM
there was more than 10 people who voted the airport... buh... where's the guy who did that "art project" and said "airport will be cool location"?
I think that there must be escalators, 1st floor for check- in, metal detectors, and other stuff, and the 2nd floor should have shops and restaurants like cronky said.

Don't forget the airport idea has been done also in Counter Strike.

-Thanks Murdy for da Sig <3  xD

RaDRoacH

Quote from: AgentX_003 on October 15, 2012, 05:29:15 PM
Quote from: RaDRoacH on October 14, 2012, 11:25:17 PM

Don't forget the airport idea has been done also in Counter Strike.

o.O wow! I swear that i've never played that map before! (just tried the classic maps and de_westwood, i used to play CS:1.6 on a bad computer a long time ago... i always play on the classic maps on CS:S too)
Talking about this eh?
Sorry if my english is not perfect.

AgentX_003

yes that one is the ticket of which i was talking about.

-Thanks Murdy for da Sig <3  xD

Asshole

There is a Rainbow Six Rogue Spear map called 747, which I used to like a lot when I was young. I also used to play a map in a Rogue Spear Expansion called "Covert Ops" which was about a small-airplane crash-site/emergency-landing in a jungle, you had to cross a rope bridge over a canyon with a waterfall and it had lots of camoflauge spots. it was really cool, and there were small caves  around too. Ill see if I can upload screen shots.
I guess what I am trying to imply is that "Airport" may have some room for some creativeness in the sense that it could also lead to a map in a sub-urban setting, and not just a city's airport. It could also be like a drug-lord's personal jet landing strip next to his mansion in Colombia or Brazil etc.

I found a really good video of this map! (LOL at min 1:06!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cDGHYw1cCc

frvge

Asshole

Quote from: frvge on November 29, 2012, 09:55:07 PM
Ah. That rings a few bells ;)

I'm glad you found it useful, you can probably download that game fairly easily since its only like 600mb to further check out the map, it is very cool. I really like how the deep jungle flora create a ceiling that cover the  outside light. So for example, rather than making a night time map with many light sources such as bulbs and stuff. One can create a map that is a day-time map, but in a setting such as this, where the sunlight is covered a lot in most areas of the map and the sun light only comes in through small openings between tree branches and stuff like that...

NeoSuperior

- Mike Godwin