Main Menu

BakerCo

Started by BakerCo, August 07, 2007, 09:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BakerCo

Hi I have been an avid fan of many stealth games namely the splinter cell series, so naturally when I came across this mod I thought "I have to be a part of this mod!!". So anyway I am 27 years old and currently seeking a BA in computer science I am in my 2nd year do to financial reasons however I have been involved in programming for about 4 years and have the basic understanding C++, C#, and countless web based programming lang. I also have spent my fair share of hours in UScript making small mods for my friends and I.
The long and short of it is that I would like to be a programmer for the mod and my main selling point is that I have all the time in the world to work on the mod. So all I ask is to have an opportunity to prove myself. If for any reason I don't work out all is well I would gladly step across to the fan boy side and watch the mod progress.

I currently do not have examples of my work readily available but if you would like me to perform an entrance test inside of UT2k4 or 3 I will gladly do that as well.

thanks for your time
`BakerCompany

Farley4Fan

More and more people are showing up everyday aren't they.  I don't have the authority to put you on the team, but according to your experience I hope they do.

Overstatement

??? ... :) ...  :D ...  ;D ...  :-*

(the progression of feelings as I was reading)

frvge

Experience with UScript is always good :).

edit: we'd like to see some coding of some sort in UScript. I've got UT2003 and I think others on the team have UT2004.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Overstatement

Quote from: BakerCo on August 07, 2007, 09:45:05 PM
basic understanding C++

Would this be before or after polymorphism (late binding) of your C++ primer book?

(everything after doesn't apply to UnrealScript)

iservealot

Quote from: frvge on August 07, 2007, 11:20:30 PM
Experience with UScript is always good :).

edit: we'd like to see some coding of some sort in UScript. I've got UT2003 and I think others on the team have UT2004.

Would be a better idea to actually do something in the free Unreal 2 Runtime. That way we can all see, and it will be obvious what ever he scripts cuz it's just the engine, nothing too special.

Also overstatement, you are not limited to coding in Uscript, you can also code directly in C++ and compile.

BakerCo

sure I will do something in the runtime any suggestions?

iservealot

Quote from: BakerCo on August 08, 2007, 03:54:17 PM

I have the perfect idea. lol

Script a pawn actor (a player) that has a third person view, and has independent control of the camera from the player. Meaning, the camera moves separately from the the movement of the player. The player should move with WSAD and the camera with the mouse. This player should be able to run/jump.

Hell, make this player the spy model if Kebab allows it.

(btw this should be rather easy to script. We will see how good you are when we see your code. IF it is a script from the wiki simply pasted, might mean something.  ;) )

Overstatement

Quote from: iservealot on August 08, 2007, 08:28:15 PM
btw this should be rather easy to script.

Except it requires a basic understanding of linear algebra which you have not indicated you have. So maybe you should add frvge on your xfire and bother him with lots of questions like I do.

Quote from: iservealot on August 08, 2007, 12:34:29 AM
Also overstatement, you are not limited to coding in Uscript, you can also code directly in C++ and compile.

Thanks...I've noticed the 3115 instances (real number) of native in the scripts. Problem is it wasn't built for you to fully develop in C++ so it would take a lot more work. And to do half the logic in C++ and half in UnrealScript is just wrong for so many reasons.

Quote from: BakerCo on August 08, 2007, 03:54:17 PM

Good old ball blaster would be fine with me. I'm not really looking for what you can do but how you do it. Good structure, use of superclass functions (reference lookup skill), extendability and user friendlyness (make some variables editable in the editor).

frvge

Easy there Overstatement, my linear algebra class was 8 months ago :p You're probably just as good as I am by now. lol
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

BakerCo

well I did not finish as I came back to check the forums and a request for a weapon was there so here is what I have so far and I will go work on the ball blaster(However won't I need a model for projectile and weapon?):

//TO:do MouseWheel Controls walk/run/sprintSpeed - PlayerInput class?
//TO:do Lock Camera To shoulder
//TO:do implement view switch

class SpyController extends PlayerController config(user);

//vars
var bool bAimWeapon;    //used to determine whether we are aiming

//Setup our view
event PlayerCalcView(out actor ViewActor, out vector CameraLocation, out rotator CameraRotation )
{
     local vector tempVec;

//Are we currently aiming a weapon
     if (!bAimWeapon)
     {
          //if not we must be in 3rd person so setup our view based on movement
          if(IsInState('PlayerWalking') || IsInState('PlayerSwimming'))
          {
               if(VSize(Pawn.Velocity) > 0)//while moving we need to bas our motion around our mouse to mimic SC
               {
                    bFreeCamera=false;
                    bBehindView=true;

ViewActor = ViewTarget;

CameraLocation = ViewActor.Location;
                    CameraLocation.Z+=50;
                    tempVec= 100 * vector(CameraRotation);
                    CameraLocation = CameraLocation- tempVec;
               }
               else //not moving so we can rotate freely around ourself
               {
                    bFreeCamera=true;
                    bBehindView=true;

ViewActor = ViewTarget;

CameraLocation.Z+=50;
                    tempVec= 100 * vector(CameraRotation);
                    CameraLocation = CameraLocation- tempVec;
               }
          }
     }
     else   //since we are aiming lets setup that view
     {
          bFreeCamera=false;
          bBehindView=true;

ViewActor = ViewTarget;
          CameraLocation.Z+=15;
     }
}
//reverse the walk/run key
function HandleWalking()
{
   if ( Pawn != None )
      Pawn.SetWalking( (bRun == 0) && !Region.Zone.IsA('WarpZoneInfo') );
}

defaultproperties
{
      bAimWeapon=false
}

Time coding 30 mins
I used an hour to research the scripts
also not really sure what the result looks like as there is no player just a cube floating in midair :/

iservealot

great, I'd love to test it if you had the pawn class you used to spawn that player controller. Unless you modified the ini file to use your player controller?

BakerCo

for the runtime i did nothing more than change the

defaultproperties
{
//PlayerControllerClassName="Runtime.RTPlayerController"
PlayerControllerClassName="ModApp.SpyController"
}

inside of the RTGameInfo.uc

iservealot

Ah, ok. That did the trick. I have some example models installed for the runtime, and for the most part it had an independent camera from the player.

There were some glitches when the player start/stopped it would try to turn the player with the mouse....but for the most part it worked.

I can send you the example models if you wish. You passed my test.

BakerCo

sure send the test models and I will work on it some more after work