Main Menu

Vaulting

Started by monterto, June 17, 2010, 11:06:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruro

Quote from: Cronky on June 22, 2010, 12:59:50 AM
-CT had some times when it just would NOT register a grab spot on a wall or something similar. To which you just jump at an area for a little bit looking stupid, then move an inch over and figure out it works now.

I noticed that too. Just try running sideway and grab onto a vents edge with a jump you will fail and just look like some kind of an acrobat who jumps sideways for attention.
The thing i really fear is that the controls would work too "perfectly" and the spy would just stick to anything that can be grabbed.

Cronky

That's indeed something that would need to be "Tested" (Seems like someone might get a kick out of this word), but as long as it's at least at the level of CT will be acceptable. Just would be NICE to have it be a little better.
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------
xFire:Cronkbot | Steam:Cronky

LennardF1989

In theory: Yes, you can grab anything which has space for the spies hands and climb on anything that has the space for his body.

Though, that can be undesirable at times, therefore, at the mappers discretion, "Block EE"-volumes will be placed. Do mind though, we can't make half the map climbable, but not the other half, otherwise it will result in the same frustration as the ungrabable spots in CT, or the undestroyable buildings in BF:BC2, whereas the rest can be torn to pieces (so fuckin' frustrating!).

A guideline will have to be made like: In all maps, object X and Y are climbable, but under no circumstance, object C will be climbable.

Cronky

That makes sense, it's much like the psychology of game design.

If you make a certain piece always unclimbable, eventually the player will instinctively know that said object will never be climbable.

Just certain set pieces in CT were set poorly. Deftec is always my example, and that Train Car that had it's side against the Spy Spawn area was just a trouble spot because of it since the whole wall was an instant climb over (Instead of a climb atop) ledge. The box being in the way negated the whole thing.

...but that's just me rambling, trying not to just repeat what you said..
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------
xFire:Cronkbot | Steam:Cronky

Spekkio

Quote from: LennardF1989 on June 22, 2010, 10:33:53 AM
In theory: Yes, you can grab anything which has space for the spies hands and climb on anything that has the space for his body.

Though, that can be undesirable at times, therefore, at the mappers discretion, "Block EE"-volumes will be placed. Do mind though, we can't make half the map climbable, but not the other half, otherwise it will result in the same frustration as the ungrabable spots in CT, or the undestroyable buildings in BF:BC2, whereas the rest can be torn to pieces (so fuckin' frustrating!).

A guideline will have to be made like: In all maps, object X and Y are climbable, but under no circumstance, object C will be climbable.
You can solve this by requiring the player to hold in the jump key in order to grab a surface... similar to making it so that if a player approaches a rail and holds jump ==> spy hops over and sets up for rail grab. Player approaches rail and taps jump ==> spy just hops over and drops to lower level. Oh, and player drops to floor and holds Q ==> does landing roll. Player just holds movement key ==> no roll.

Autoroll and autograb are annoying as fuck, and anyone who willingly implements those into a game needs to be shot in the testicles.

The game should have as little automation as possible.

What would you guys do without me?

MR.Mic

Quote from: Spekkio on June 28, 2010, 03:20:45 AM
Autoroll and autograb are annoying as fuck, and anyone who willingly implements those into a game needs to be shot in the testicles.

Agree completely.
[size=2]Lead Visual Effects Artist - Advanced Materials, Particles, and Post-Process Effects
Website: http://studentpages.scad.edu/~ctripp20/index.htm][/size]

LennardF1989

Quote from: MR.Mic on June 28, 2010, 09:28:09 AM

Agree completely.
Did I say something wrong? I never said anything about adding automation, only holding a specific key to do something in one move (instead of having to tap at the right moment), which you illustrated perfectly in a more concrete way.

MulleDK19

Quote from: LennardF1989 on June 28, 2010, 02:52:26 PM

Agree completely.
Did I say something wrong? I never said anything about adding automation, only holding a specific key to do something in one move (instead of having to tap at the right moment), which you illustrated perfectly in a more concrete way.

Ya, I like the way it works in Assassin's Creed / Batman: Arkham Asylum, etc.

If my heart ever heals, I will make sure it'll never break again.

monterto

Agree completely.
http://sc2sig.com/s/us/329891-1.png[/img][/url]
Click to view my detailed stats![/url]