My Sketchbook

Started by tigaer, April 23, 2010, 04:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigaer

AH! Base render for my concept piece. Worth noting that this is my first ever 3D model. I'm proud.

Now the fun begins.

Gawain

which program did you use for modelling and rendering this?

tigaer

tigaer

Maybe this will turn into a nice walkthrough, cause I'll try to update it with progress pics as I go.

Progress,

Detail shot,

These pipes are killing me lol but I have to get them done first to light the rest of the scene right.

Farley4Fan

goodkebab

I suggest rendering in a similar way to how 3d software renders.

It will help you break things down into easier segments.

tigaer

Quote from: goodkebab on May 02, 2010, 12:49:23 AM
I suggest rendering in a similar way to how 3d software renders.

It will help you break things down into easier segments.

You mean breaking the painting down into pieces? What I'm doing now is I layed the basic colors down, and now I'm working on the pipes, then I'll work on the sewer area, then the building texture, and doing lighting on everything as I go, detailing will be last.

If not, what do you mean?

goodkebab

break it down like this:

Diffuse Pass -self shadowing and accurate light sources of final concept.  Its just a grey scale render.
Spec/Reflection pass  -all the shiny bits

Color Pass-  just the flat color maps without any shadow or light

Shadow Pass.

At the Diffuse Pass,  you just need paint in grey scale and get the composition and lighting correct.

Multiply a Color layer on top of this to give the scene the basic texture it needs.
Use linear dodge layer for all Spec and Reflections for shiny parts
And shadow pass.

Its not the traditional way for paint,  but its very similar.   Its a commmon technique to do a grey scale painting,  and then add tints of color on top and the final stage is the specular and shadows.

The method teaches you to break it down to the basics at the diffuse stage without worrying about the tedious details. 

tigaer

Thanks a lot for the tips man. I usually lay the basic color scheme I want down, then recolor it at the end to be exactly how I imagined it. For some reason, I don't like laying down a painting in grayscale first, I like to play with colors a lot while I draw.

30 min speedie.

Succubus Dryad Of The Undying Comet

The yellow is awkward. It should be a very thin line, just so you know it's there, but can't actually see it clearly. It'd look way better.

tigaer

I agree. Looking at it now, I don't like the lower beach area. I might be fix it later, but it was just a quick speedie so it's not a big deal. It's really just a mood piece.

Farley4Fan

Maybe you should put the mountain's shadow on the lake, or a reflection of some kind.

tigaer

Quote from: FarleyFan on May 03, 2010, 05:07:11 AM
Maybe you should put the mountain's shadow on the lake, or a reflection of some kind.

Good point. lol

goodkebab

If the image doesnt work in greyscale,  its not going to work in color (hence the simplifiction of the process)

Farley4Fan

Quote from: tigaer on May 03, 2010, 05:43:01 AM
Quote from: FarleyFan on May 03, 2010, 05:07:11 AM

Good point. lol

Yeah it seems like the lighting is a little off.  Make it lighter at the left side of the lake and darker at the right side.  I dig the colors and the drawing though man, looks great.