Experiments and failures

Started by frvge, August 06, 2013, 03:16:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frvge

Hi all!

It's time for another look behind-the-scenes. Besides all the awesome stuff that we have (really!), we also experiment with new things. Like 2D art. Experiments can fail. I'd like to show you one of the experiments for a logo-ish concept.

The asymmetric-ness of Spy and Merc gameplay styles is one of the pillars of Project Stealth. They are also "combined" in one game. They are also opposite teams looking the other way. Based on these facts, we've tried to make the faces of the characters in a way like http://www.joe-ks.com/archives_may2012/NerveTwitch.htm  . It's a great piece of art.

Unfortunately, the faces of our protagonists are not suitable for this, as the two links below show.

The Spy is way too sad :(

We'd like to get your feedback, both on the concept and on this behind-the-scenes look. Is it useful? Is it fun? Let us know!

Big thanks for tigaer for the 2D art.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

NeoSuperior

Hmm, I like it. Maybe you should use green/orange (spy/merc) colors instead of simply black and white, as somehow just making it black and white seems a bit... boring? Or maybe lifeless? I am not sure, but I'd really like to see this a bit colored so I can evaluate the possibilities more. But I really like the design and escpacially the idea behind it, good job!

Oh, well maybe there actually is a little thing: the merc's headlight is a bit annoying. It feels like there was an elephant in the room with that small "black hole" on the merc's side. Perhaps using an ellipse form instead of a circle form would fit more? Or at least hide the part that is over the helmet or simply color the part of the light that extends outside of the helmet in the helmet's color... although on 2nd thought... argh I don't know...
If there are any orthographic/grammatical errors in this post, you can keep them and, if you want, hang them over your bed ;)

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."
- Mike Godwin

DRSLlives

I got to say this would (to me this is my opinion) would make a pretty cool T-shirt design for Project Stealth. But overall I think this would make a pretty nifty loading screen art for Project Stealth if you would add some detailed coloring and stencil shadowing to it instead of plain old black and white.

SheikTheGeek

Its not bad.  I agree with what has been said above.  Some coloring and more detail would help a lot.
I actually enjoyed the multiplayer in Double Agent and Blacklist.  Why are you looking at me like that?

tigaer

There's no point further refining a concept that isn't going to work for its intended purpose. It's much more efficient to put your time into concepts that do work. This is only one of the concepts that didn't work, at least for the specific use we are focusing on. The concept itsel, though of course, more refined,  could be used at a later time. :)

feev

I just had to try this.

And a bit more black and white style:
http://r02i.img-up.net/spymerc28c1e.jpg
http://t12i.img-up.net/spymerc40ac4.jpg

tigaer

frvge

Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

NeoSuperior

Quote from: tigaer on September 20, 2013, 06:42:30 AM
Psssttt... don't tell frvge.
Quote from: frvge on September 20, 2013, 06:23:33 PMI wont.

lulz

Quote from: tigaer on September 20, 2013, 06:42:30 AM

Oh something was leaked.... IS THE BEEEEEETAAAAAAAAA THERE YEEEEEEEET??! "Stealth Action Multiplayer"!
If there are any orthographic/grammatical errors in this post, you can keep them and, if you want, hang them over your bed ;)

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."
- Mike Godwin

RaDRoacH

Quote from: frvge on September 20, 2013, 06:23:33 PM
I wont.

Me too... OHH DAMN, he already knows.

Quote from: Meister_Neo on September 21, 2013, 05:00:09 AM
Oh something was leaked.... IS THE BEEEEEETAAAAAAAAA THERE YEEEEEEEET??! "Stealth Action Multiplayer"!
Would like to know what is that thing above "Stealth Action Multiplayer"...

Is that a new map? And what about those little sketches?

This reminds me ghost recon. Are you guys restyling the models? Just saying i don't like the actual merc face, would love if he's wearing a balaclava.
Sorry if my english is not perfect.

DRSLlives

QuoteIs that a new map? And what about those little sketches?

It's probably just a 2D map that goes on the Merc's and Spy's HUD. Can't have a Spy VS Mercenary game without that right?  ;)