merc confusion gadget

Started by Gawain, February 05, 2008, 01:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawain

i think that a merc confusion gadget could proove fun and get implemented pretty balanced:
-create a pretty realistic hologram where you aim that doesn't show up in emf
-silently hack visions/security messages/radar from merc (everything seems normal but he gets no alerts, mt detection etc); instant effect while aiming at him, the longer you aim at him the longer the effect stays afterwards
-get information about exact amount of gadgets (how many frags left, how much % of mask left etc)
-gadget drains energy/time and makes you visible in emf
this would allow totally new teamplay and stealth possibilities.

old suggestion:
[what could add total new elements of gameplay is a versatile gadget similar to the hacking glove in another sam game. it may sound unbalanced, but could get quite balanced with certain restrictions. how about that:
-range 30m (hbs range)
-allows disabling of mines/traps/passive security etc (only) while aiming at them not creating any security alerts, working through walls
-hacking laptops: speed dependant on distance, 1m=>75%, 10m=>50%, 20m=>25% of hacking speed without it, not working through walls
-hacking merc's visions/radar/security break messages etc for 10s without him knowing after aiming 3s at him, not working through walls
-giving you information on the merc's health, equipment instantly when aiming at him
-the gadget drains quite some energy/time (making camo+this not op for stealth players), usable for 10s with full energy
-ability to project an almost perfect hologram of a walking/crouching/gun-pulling spy where you aim at
EDIT:(but you can see on emf where it comes from like you can see the light coming from a projector if there's smoke in the air)
-you appear on emf using it

it actually sounds quite balanced to me considering that you only get 50% of a 10s-objective with it from 10m distance after which you have drown all your energy. you can also not move quickly while using it and it works almost only for stealth purposes.
it has also some other advantages:
-with a gadget like this, we can remove the ability of chaff to work through walls (maybe increase the radius to compensate, especially the vertical one)
-totally new stealth teamplay possibilities
this may actually sound weird coming from someone like me, but with enough balance work this could be the improvement we learned from scda.
but hey, i also think a presence detector could work if it's implemented in a balanced way...]
discuss ;D

Cyntrox

I like it. Although the hologram sounds kind of overpowered - but how about you can see on EMF where it comes from? Like you can see the light coming from a projector if there's smoke in the air.

Farley4Fan

I was talking with binary about something similar to this.  Except it's a gun alternative for stealth players.

It's basically looks like the gun we have now.  Maybe a different looking barrel.  Here's what it does:

-It projects a cone of photons and has a range of about 20 feet.  The further you are away, the larger the circular end of the cone end becomes.  This makes it easier to hit things from further away.

- The cone of photons disables electronic devices silently.  Instead of that loud shock or that loud boom you get for shooting a mine with a regular ss.

- It does not fire ss bullets.  It's solely for stealth players who shouldn't get into a position that they have to use it anyways.  When the gun is fired at mercs their visions are completely disabled for around 5-10 seconds.  This leaves you able to move while using camo w/o being seen by any vision.  And allows you to be able to flash the merc easily, and escape.

- It is NOT a launcher, except for small things like spy bullets/stickies.  Meaning you can't launch nades.

- Maybe hbs should only be possible while using this alternative gun?  Maybe equip it with a scanner but it's only activated when you take hbs as a gadget?

- Maybe my sound reticule idea would only be possible while using this alternative gun?

(that way you can still use spy bullets and stickies for recon w/o

Succubus Dryad Of The Undying Comet

I'm up for w/e you guys think of, just wait till PS gets released.

Gawain

Quote from: Cyntrox on February 05, 2008, 02:52:59 PM
I like it. Although the hologram sounds kind of overpowered - but how about you can see on EMF where it comes from? Like you can see the light coming from a projector if there's smoke in the air.
sounds good to me. the emf picture of the hologram should also be easy distinguishable from a real one or not appear at all. i'll add this suggestion in the initial post.
@papa: i think trading the SS for something different is a too large change of the basic  game mechanics.

Spekkio

Gawain

Quote from: Spekkio on February 05, 2008, 05:46:55 PM
I'm not a fan of remote hacking.
well the radius would be pretty limited, it would be way slower than normal hacking, the gadget takes one slot, drains energy and the merc could tell the approximate distance by the hacking speed. but you could be right and there are too many complications with the map design. what about the gadget without the ability to hack objectives?

Farley4Fan

It isn't a change Gawain.  It's more of an addition.  As well as the traditional ss, you could trade it in for my suggestion.  It only favors stealth players.

Westfall

im fine if the gadget doesnt hack laptops. the terminals have to be hacked manually.

excite.gg

yeah it should be hacked manually, cause its a big adventure for spies, i think

Cyntrox

Papa: I'm not sure if one gun for aggro and one gun for stealth is the way to go - I don't like having my playstyle completely locked from the start of the game.

As for the hologram not appearing on EMF, it doesn't really matter since it'd obvious that it's a hologram if you switch to EMF anyways.

Hyrage

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/1015/achievement3zo3.jpg[/img]

"Video Games are art, but we don't play art, we play games."

InvisibleMan999

Yeah remote hacking really ruined DA. The only kind of remote hacking I'd want is just limited range, like 2m or something, so that you don't have to be standing in exactly the same spot and are tougher to snipe while you're hacking.

Aside from that, it's pretty annoying to look fro a spy hacking something where you can't even see him. If we include remote hacking, we should definitely have some kind of line connecting the spy and the hackpoint that can be followed on EMF, so the game doens't turn into DA style looking around randomly without even a PD. Also remote hacking makes mines crap, because it's just too easy to take out static defenses.

Succubus Dryad Of The Undying Comet

Farley4Fan

Quote from: Cyntrox on February 05, 2008, 08:30:14 PM
Papa: I'm not sure if one gun for aggro and one gun for stealth is the way to go - I don't like having my playstyle completely locked from the start of the game.

As for the hologram not appearing on EMF, it doesn't really matter since it'd obvious that it's a hologram if you switch to EMF anyways.

No, you guys aren't understanding it completely.

This is mainly for those 100% stealth players.  You can still, however, be an aggro player and bring this if you'd like.  Same if you were a stealth kind of player you could still take a ss.  Just whatever suits your playstyle.  If you are in between, then I recommend you take the ss.  If you are more into stealth, the gun I suggested would be a nice alternative.  I think we can ALL agree that the ss is an aggro kind of feature.  It benefits aggro players more than stealth players.  Why not tack on a gun that benefits stealth more than aggro?  I mean, this is a stealth/action game, why not have 2 categories of weapons to choose from for spy?

As for the glove, I'd love it.  As long as you can't hack terminals.   Maybe you could add another objective that you can only hack quickly with a glove?  Like the one from DA.  That way you have something to hack with the glove, as well as use it for other purposes that are minor but useful (shutting off lights, breaking glass, hacking mercs).  Maybe making a completely different mode that enables remote hacking on all objectives except for discs and bombs.  READ BELOW!

I've got an idea.  How about you make a mode where you upload a virus with your glove to servers spread across the map?  That would be pretty cool.  The mercs have to defend the servers from getting uploaded with the viruses that the spies carry in their gloves.  The mercs wouldn't be able to destroy the virus or remove it, but they would have to kill the spies before the viruses are completely uploaded on 3 out of 5 servers in the map.