Main Menu

cinema map

Started by Gawain, March 17, 2008, 02:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawain

freeman and me decided to create a map for ps inspired by a big cinema at my town (this picture gallery should help you understand the 3 floors layout: http://www.corona-kinoplex.de/rundum/dsl/dsl1.htm). the size of the inside and the gameplay will be similar to factory (but there will also be disk hunt and a bomb objective), the athmosphere (lightning, materials, soundscape etc) similar to ump cinema. i came up with this basic layout yesterday and would like to get some feedback (especially from zedblade and element54):
UPDATE: NEW LAYOUT, WATCH FOR POST BENEATH

explanations:
-spy spawn on the outside of the building. it's not yet sure if mercs coming outside close to the spy spawn get sniped or killed by the rain or if they aren't allowed to come out at all.
-the disks are movies you steal out of the projector (so the movie stops) and that you either drop at in the server room (=uploading to the internets), in the biggest movie theatre (=hiding) or get safely on the outside with it.
-the lobby is 3/4 as long as main hall (factory) and the glass wall works like the one on clarity soft with poles allowing you to climb up onto a vent with holes that allows you to either use the vent or slide back down to lobby with some zip lines
-the shutter hack closes the projector room windows (+breakable glass in the windows, so sniping via them opens up a silent route for the spies; if the spies want to get in there they have to make a noise and coop)
-the bomb objective is the maize supplies so that it makes a huge popcorn explosion lolz; the popcorn machine can get turned on and off to create noise
-all the theatre rooms are sparely lit up
-hacking lights turns down all the lights in lobby (only moonlight stays)
-sprinkler hack makes the sprinklers go off for 2min in lobby, supply room, tech room, toilets, 2nd floor, cafe
-there will be many split jump possibilities on the dark 2nd floor and at the cinema entrances
-the vents going down to toilets, tech room, server room and 2nd floor are work only one way: down
-the security central (merc spawn) helps you figure out which emergency exits got hacked by seeing which security cams got disabled

feel free to ask if something isn't clear.

Succubus Dryad Of The Undying Comet

PTcinema was 2 floors... now we get a third. YAY!
<Hospital had 3 floors (4 levels) too>

Gawain

most of the action will take place on the 1st floor and in the cinemas (they are steep and go from 1st to ground floor), the 2nd floor is rather small and meant as an alternative spy route, the outside is works similar to krauser lab.

Xris

looks cool, could u perhaps split the floor layouts, it gets somewhat confusing layered.

Gawain

i had no time yet to paint the exact layouts for 2nd floor and ground floor = parking lot, but before i do i'd like to hear some feedback on the basic layout. so plz tell me where you see inbalances etc.

Spekkio

You might have to take some artistic license and cut down the amount of theater rooms you have. On the surface, the map looks way too large. Alternatively, you could make it sector-based, but those tend to suck.

Gui Brazil

How are you gonna get yourself the meshes/textures needed to create a cinema? I don't think you're gonna get stuff like that on the UT things...

frvge

Gui has a point.
We can't have the modelers create stuff for the custom maps.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Gawain

Quote from: Spekkio on March 17, 2008, 04:02:12 PM
You might have to take some artistic license
the only thing copied from the real cinema will be the long windowed lobby+cafe as 1st floor idea, and we will use different materials etc., and of course we will use a different name. so no need for a license.

Quote from: Spekkio on March 17, 2008, 04:02:12 PM
cut down the amount of theater rooms you have. On the surface, the map looks way too large. Alternatively, you could make it sector-based, but those tend to suck.
i will probably remove 1 theater room. it definitely won't be sector based. btw, real cinema has 9 theatre rooms.

Quote from: Gui Brazil on March 17, 2008, 04:55:20 PM
How are you gonna get yourself the meshes/textures needed to create a cinema? I don't think you're gonna get stuff like that on the UT things...
to be honest, i have no idea. freeman assured that he's able to map it, and a friend of mine willing to help is a photoshop freak, so he can probably help out with the texture work.

Quote from: frvge on March 17, 2008, 05:03:30 PM
Gui has a point.
We can't have the modelers create stuff for the custom maps.
i don't care who creates this map, i just wanna play a new, more awesome cinema map. so maybe if this is going somewhere meaning we have all the rooms, stairs, vents, objectives, security, simple texture work etc it would make sense for some devs to help us out with more advanced scripting like EEs, some special static meshes etc. and make it an official map. we can do the most work on our own, and if the dev team considers our work to be professional enough, they could sideline some dev time.

what motivates me to do this work is that i really like the athmosphere of ump museum and clarity soft, but the gameplay sucks on both. on the other hand, factory is the best map imo so i try to learn from it.

I <3 U

Quote from: Gui Brazil on March 17, 2008, 04:55:20 PM

Got a friend doing all the meshes for me, got another friend doing all the photoshop work, so all im basically doing is making the materials from the pictues, and the actual mapping, placing static meshes etc.

Gawain

here's the new layout:

Hyrage

By making something on Sketchup could be helpful.
http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/1015/achievement3zo3.jpg[/img]

"Video Games are art, but we don't play art, we play games."

Farley4Fan

Yes, that would be helpful.  My only question is this:  Why bomb the popcorn machine?

:D

I like the layout and hopefully it will do Cinema justice,  ;)

Gawain

we finally decided to have no accesseble outside area. the spies will spawn in a suspended ceiling hanging over the whole lobby and cafe area.
why bomb the corn? because it makes a funny noise and smells awesome :P
the disk objectives are also not that serious: you steal the movies out of the projectors to either load them up in the server room or to flush them down in the toilets XD

Farley4Fan

haha what vids are they?  That would be awesome if there was a showing of Gigli playing and your objective was to disable the projector!  :D  For those who don't know, Gigli was an absolutely retarded movie with Ben Affleck and J.Lo.  DOWN WITH THE PROJECTOR!

Oh, and why not have outside access?!  Omg that would be so tight to start out as a spy and have a BUNCH of different entrances to use.  Imagine rappelling down into the lobby while your partner sneaks into the theater.  Coordinating attacks using different entrances is one of the most fun things about SvM if you ask me.  The bad thing is that it would be harder to balance.