UDK Programmer Application

Started by BearInATie, December 07, 2011, 11:04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BearInATie

BearInATie
College student pursuing bachelor's and master's in computer science

UDK Programmer, Frvge replied to my general application stating that I may be able to do winning conditions

Well versed in C++, Java, Python, published researcher in immersive virtual reality, I do have entry-level UDK skills though

For UDK: I create a simple map and mod that included med kits, a damage zone, a key for a sliding door and best of all; a custom variable (money) that was displayed and assigned to the player like any other variable

Portfolio: (currently trying set it up, nothing special yet): https://sites.google.com/site/bairandrewc/home

frvge

Hi,

Thanks for applying :)

I've browsed your site and read the Java source code. I was wondering if you also have the code available for your python project and preferably also for the HIVE project, or maybe a paper of the latter. I'm mostly looking for OOP code.

Thanks!
frvge
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

BearInATie

Hey Frvge :)
     Unfortunately I can't release the HIVE source code- that's not mine to give out, but I would be more than happy to send you the python source, what works best for sending it? It uses the Panda3D engine and a few models I picked up from Alice.org

frvge

Via a private message is fine. Click my nick, and on the next screen "Send PM". Bedtime now, so it can take up to 18 hours before I can have a look.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

BearInATie

I sent the source code in a PM like you asked; 18 hours of sleep, eh? I thought I was the bear, shouldn't I hibernate for that long? Haha bad joke...

frvge

I read it. I'll discuss it with the programmer today.

BearInATie

Ok, thank you Frvge- I'm keeping my fingers crossed

frvge

Morten hasn't responded :(. Bedtime for me now (18 hours is bedtime + work ;) ).
Could you tell me about object-oriented programming? Haven't seen much of that and that's kinda mandatory in UDKs structure.

Or else you can earn your place by making your own subclassed Pawn in UDK (UnrealScript) with an energy meter and lives. When the energy meter hits 0, the Pawn loses a life. Energy can be replenished by triggering a button or zone or something and when not triggering, it slowly depletes, so the Pawn needs to stay active. You can't regain lives by having more energy than the maximum. When all lives are lost, the game is over and you lose. When the timer (there's a timer) hits 4 minutes, the game is over and you win. Both timer and energymeter should be displayed in the HUD in some way. Not just in console messages.

That's it :)

BearInATie

Not a problem :) And of course-

---begin OOP rant---
     So object oriented programming is the concept that concrete and abstract objects can be represented by a set of variables (I'll use a pen throughout this example) and a set of actions, or functions, (which makes them different from the stuct data type like you would find in C++). For example, if I coded a pen object, I could say "String inkColor = "blue";" and know that the pen will produce blue ink. I can also say things like:
Pen p = new Pen();
p.drawLine(2);
Where the pen will draw a line of length 2 units (whatever they've been deemed to be) in blue ink, as stated before.
      Yay, great wonderful- what does this mean / why does this matter? It matters because of things like encapsulation and inheritance. Inheritance meaning I could have a "writingUtinsel" class that has a thickness and a color, but classes such as pen and chalk could be children of this class with their own attributes and functions (pen might have removeCap() and chalk could have washAway() ) while maintaining their color and thickness from writingUtinsel. These classes could even have their own children like erasablePen and sidewalkChalk with even more functions. So why does that even matter? Because of encapsulation; it's everywhere in UDK; we may not know how the Pawn class works (be able to see its source code), but we know that given X and Y we're presented with Z, and that's all we really care about. This is wonderful for development; programmer A no longer cares how B did his job, just that it works, making his job far less complicated.
     These are just a few examples, but I think I've proven my point; I know object oriented programming
--end long rant--

I would be more than happy to do something like that :) I'll bring myself up to speed again and run through it. I should have it to you in a few days.

frvge

I wasn't really looking for a textual explanation of the theory, I kinda meant code examples, but that's fine too ;) Looking forward to your UScript code.

BearInATie

Haha my bad- I figured you were making sure I knew what it was. Well it's getting there; I've got the energy variable / display and a button for recharging working; now it's on to the constant decrease and end scenarios

BearInATie

Hey Frvge,
     Just wanted to let you know I'm done with the energy mod. I made a short youtube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyOrwkjBsfs) showing it off. Let me know how you want me to get the source / map to you since all of that is a little large for a PM. It's 4am here, I'm going to bed haha