Main Menu

Game mechanics

Started by a3c0i3d, August 08, 2007, 05:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a3c0i3d

Question: are you gonna "port" some of the mechanics/bugs/glitches of CT that made it special?

Example: when you jump from a great height as a spy, you can do the vision glitch. This is obvious a glitch, but it does add extra complicity and thus extra gameplay. It takes some time to perfect the timing, but gives you that little extra advantage.

Example: the crouch/roll/crouch. This is 2nd nature for all of us. I'm pretty sure ubi didnt intended it like that. This also takes some practise to perfect it, but then it can give you a distinct advantage over players who dont "master" it.

Example: tripple nading

Example: some of the animations giving one advantages or disadvantages (pretty sure i dont want this one)

I think those little glitches make a part of the charm of scct, and thus you might create them on purpose to give that to PS also. Its some of those little game mechanics that are responsible for a great part of the gameplay.

goodkebab

vision change is a glitch without a doubt.

crouch roll crouch, i dont consider a glitch.  The design is that you have to take 3-4 standing steps before you ping the reticle.  I would like to keep that in the game.

Triple nadding...that was not a glitch...it was fully intended in PT that you could triple nad.

The same with emf ghosting,  its not a glitch...considering you can see still see everything else in emf, why should the spy be magically invisible?

all in all, it is these hidden gems that do make the game fun.

InvisibleMan999

All except triple nading, I consider glitches.

Given I played the xbox version, crouch/roll/crouch isn't even possible there due to the control setup.

EMF ghosting you don't really have to deal with either, because everyone is playing on the same hardware.

Triple nading isn't really clear whether it's truly a glitch or not. It's a bit harder to do on xbox, but you can still can, there's just a little pause, compared to the PC version where the nades are almost instantaneous.

Really, I'd say take out most of the glitches or make them a generic part of mechanics that doesn't require a glitch, and make sure it's actually taught in tutorials.

For instance, if you like the vision glitch, then don't make a stun effect when you fall at all. Just make it automatically work. Then newbies get the benefit of the glitch too.

If crouch/roll/crouch exists, it should be taught in tutorials, or at the very least there should be a spy sound indicator so the spy can see if he's making noise doing that particular move or not. I generally don't like the idea of secret abilities or moves that aren't taught to you and can't even be figured out with experimentation unless you've got a second guy to listen for sound.

EMF ghosting should probably just go away. That doesn't add anything to the game aside from unbalancing one of the best balanced visions there is.

Farley4Fan

Quote from: InvisibleMan999 on August 08, 2007, 08:31:47 PM
Then newbies get the benefit of the glitch too.

This game should not be newb friendly.  It should take some skill at least to be able to do the little tricks in it.

InvisibleMan999

Quote from: Papa Skull on August 08, 2007, 09:08:14 PM
This game should not be newb friendly.  It should take some skill at least to be able to do the little tricks in it.

There's a difference between dumbing down the game itself and just removing pointless little hidden tricks. The vision glitch isn't reactive at all, nor is roll/crouch/roll. They're just stuff you do on your own and are static maneuvers. There's just no real reason to make that stuff a pain in the ass for people to do. There's no logical reason why you should have to change your vision as you hit the ground from a long fall. There's no reason why you should have to do a series of keypresses to move silently with no merc around. It's stupid.

If we want people to get stunned, then make it unavoidable stun, if we want people to be able to move, then just let them move. Not a difficult concept.

I hate the idea of secret glitches. It's just pointless vet elitism. If you're so good at the game, then you should be able to defeat newbies who have access to this stuff by default. You aim faster and you have better tactics. If you can't win without secret handshake glitches that you don't want to share with people, then you're not a good player. Period.

frvge

All these things have been talked about once by the team and will probably be talked about a few more times.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Ion.67

Quote from: frvge on August 08, 2007, 09:44:22 PM
All these things have been talked about once by the team and will probably be talked about a few more times.

Well, what did you guys think about it?

If you claim to want all of this input, why not release the info to the community?

frvge

Well,

I am for removing the vision glitch and make it standard, removing the EMF-ed spy or at least the 'hack' message. Rest can stay as it is IMO.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Ion.67

Quote from: frvge on August 08, 2007, 10:20:03 PM
Well,

I am for removing the vision glitch and make it standard, removing the EMF-ed spy or at least the 'hack' message. Rest can stay as it is IMO.

Sorry if I came off as offensive, but, that's just what I think. There is no reason not to tell everyone what is going to be in a mod. And, the majority of us are all from the same forum for multiple years, so it's not like you can't trust anyone.

Anyways, the emf spy should stay in my opinion. just make it take skill, not a powerful gpu and settings.

Farley4Fan

Quote from: InvisibleMan999 on August 08, 2007, 09:19:23 PM
There's a difference between dumbing down the game itself and just removing pointless little hidden tricks. The vision glitch isn't reactive at all, nor is roll/crouch/roll. They're just stuff you do on your own and are static maneuvers. There's just no real reason to make that stuff a pain in the ass for people to do. There's no logical reason why you should have to change your vision as you hit the ground from a long fall. There's no reason why you should have to do a series of keypresses to move silently with no merc around. It's stupid.

If we want people to get stunned, then make it unavoidable stun, if we want people to be able to move, then just let them move. Not a difficult concept.

I hate the idea of secret glitches. It's just pointless vet elitism. If you're so good at the game, then you should be able to defeat newbies who have access to this stuff by default. You aim faster and you have better tactics. If you can't win without secret handshake glitches that you don't want to share with people, then you're not a good player. Period.

The difference between a game can sometimes be a split second, it can be decided by whether you time it correctly or not.  If you don't time it right, you can lose the game.  If you don't time it right, you may not win or get away.  They aren't always pointless glitches.  Say you are hopping over a rail and a merc throws a grenade where you are hopping down.  If you don't perform the trick correctly you would be killed by the grenade, if you do, then you would get away and maybe get a hurt a little.  N00bs should learn how to perfect it, and be able to survive.  Automatically giving noobs this ability to get away easier is stupid, they should have to learn it.  And how exactly is it a "pain in the ass" to do?  It should take a little effort to do because it can decide whether you live or not.

Succubus Dryad Of The Undying Comet

Agree with papa. These are things that need to be mastered, not given away free.

Bionic-Blob

about the vision glitch fall thingy:

imo, take out the glitch/don't put it in (durrrhhh) and increase the distance before the hard-land animation kicks in.

Succubus Dryad Of The Undying Comet

or instead of this stupid animation when doing the vision bug, make the spy do a roll (like the parkour guys do) when the glitch (trick?) is done.

InvisibleMan999

Quote from: Papa Skull on August 08, 2007, 11:10:32 PM
The difference between a game can sometimes be a split second, it can be decided by whether you time it correctly or not.  If you don't time it right, you can lose the game.  If you don't time it right, you may not win or get away.  They aren't always pointless glitches.  Say you are hopping over a rail and a merc throws a grenade where you are hopping down.  If you don't perform the trick correctly you would be killed by the grenade, if you do, then you would get away and maybe get a hurt a little.  N00bs should learn how to perfect it, and be able to survive.  Automatically giving noobs this ability to get away easier is stupid, they should have to learn it.  And how exactly is it a "pain in the ass" to do?  It should take a little effort to do because it can decide whether you live or not.

If people want to make it about skill, then fine, make it about skill, but forget the secret handshake BS. The control needs to be explained from the beginning in the tutorial and should be a button that makes sense (probably jump or crouch for a fast landing). And it should be something everyone knows about, not some weird trick where you activate something nonsensical like switching visions and it makes you recover faster.

I don't think it adds much to the game to require people press a certain button everytime they land. It's needless tedium. CT isn't a game of button mashing anyway.

I mean look at it this way. If we wanted we could implement slow movement to require multiple presses of the forward key in a rhythm that has to be properly maintained, press too fast and you make noise, press too slow and you aren't going at max speed. It would certainly add more "skill" to the game, but it just isn't very fun or engaging.

And if anything I prefer making the controls simpler and more predictable rather than adding random stuff you've got to do to land and walk around correctly. There is enough to learn already in this game without putting in hidden nonsensical mechanics.

Gui Brazil

I think that EMF ghosting should stay, you can still see the "ghost" of the objects, so why not see the spy ghost too. About the hack thing appearing, it should stay too, even if its by pure luck, you're still aiming at the spy.