disk type objective

Started by Gawain, April 04, 2008, 10:29:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I <3 U

Quote from: Westfall-US on April 05, 2008, 07:49:04 AM
I feel as though you should have the option to drop the disk whenever you want, as opposed to keeping it as a burden the entire time. Things change every second that could reverse your decision to have the disk. Why can't I take it, drop it off somewhere/store it, and hide it for later?

I don't think you should be able to have more than 1 though...unless you grab one, drop it somewhere, then grab another and drop it somewhere. Rambo is right though: disks shouldn't just...poof....gone.

When the disk is dropped it would give the spies position away and show up on merc screen. right?

Yes to slowclimb, makes me mad when u need to climb a pole but u cnt cos ull show up on radar.

HeroFromHyrule

Some interesting ideas.  I don't really like the ability to remove more than one disk from the computer or the ability to carry more than one disk at a time.  Handing the disk off to a partner, while I can't think of any major use for it, I would like the option.  Who knows, if you had the ability to do it, it could be something handy to use.

Putting the disk down on the ground is a nice idea, but it raises some possible balance issues.

I think these ideas are good enough to at least consider and possibly playtest with to see what works and what doesn't.

Kurbutti

Passing the disc to your mate is useful if the carrier is unable to heal himself on the field. That would help spies to maximize their chances of getting out alive. In any other case, I think this feature would be useless.

I honestly don't feel like we should be needing anything else than slowclimb, or some rule which makes it possible to manouver  vertically without giving out a signal. Otherwise, the discs are fine as they are.

Gawain

the slow-climb move is definitely one of the most needed fixes for stealth players, i think we can all agree on this.

passing the disc to your mate doesn't screw balance, but gives the players more freedom (well it allows more spam: if one spy is out of flash and the other one has a full battery of smoke left, switching would make sense; however, as thist requires the spies to come together it's balanced), so i count it as a nice-to-have-feature.

allowing the spies to take one disk out of one disk obj each makes perfect sense for the sake of realism, but it's quite questionable in terms of balance. as it's possible for the map maker to implement it anyways (simply 2 disk obj next to each other with the same drop points), i think we can drop this idea.

the most tricky idea is clearly westfall's idea of being able to hide the disk somewhere. it would allow totally new stealth tactics, so it would be awesome if we can find a way to make it balanced (giving the merc some info when dropping the disk in radar range, not being able to drop it in vents, etc). happy brainstorming every1 =)

Farley4Fan

Just keep in mind my suggestion, only in places where you can stand up can you pick up the the disc.  For example if you take it into a vent you won't be able to drop it.  OR, you could drop it but then you couldn't pick it back up again.  I know it doesn't sound realistic but it balances it.

Dropping it somewhere doesn't really matter if it glows bright orange like it currently does.  Maybe it should only light up when you are near it?  Sounds better to me.

Btw, does any dev want to confirm if it will be possible to control the speed of all animations?  What I mean by this is once the animation is activated you could control the speed of it with the mouse wheel.  Maybe clicking the mouse wheel before you push the climb button would make it so the climb animation doesn't start until you start slowly pushing the wheel forward.  Is this possible?  If so, it would be awesome and fix a lot of issues.

frvge

First we need more animations...
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Farley4Fan

Lol of course  ;D  But would it be possible?  I know it's a bit early to really say, but would you guys be up to that? 

What about the community?  Would you guys all want to have some sort of movement based on the a sensitive wheel?  I know I've come to love it by playing on console for years with analog sticks.  When I made the switch over to PC I got pretty dissapointed when I realized that it wasn't possible to control your speed and instead you have to push a button for slow mode. 

Westfall

Quote from: Papa Skull on April 11, 2008, 02:01:27 AM
Lol of course  ;D  But would it be possible?  I know it's a bit early to really say, but would you guys be up to that? 

What about the community?  Would you guys all want to have some sort of movement based on the a sensitive wheel?  I know I've come to love it by playing on console for years with analog sticks.  When I made the switch over to PC I got pretty dissapointed when I realized that it wasn't possible to control your speed and instead you have to push a button for slow mode. 

hahaha...i scroll my wheel down to make me go slower. I think its already present Papa. Check it out.

Farley4Fan

Doesn't it just go to a preset speed when you scroll it down?  Or does it go slow depending on how much you are scrolling it?  I mean is it sensitive to it, or is just like you are pushing a button by wheeling it down?  Just switches my equipment, but then again, that's just my setup.  And I don't use a keyboard that much because I'm still getting used to it.  Most of the time I use my good ole 360 controller and there is no such thing as "sensitve analog stick" movement anymore.  No matter how much you move it, it only goes one preset speed.  Remember, I'm newb to PC lmao

Westfall

Quote from: Papa Skull on April 11, 2008, 02:10:11 AM
Doesn't it just go to a preset speed when you scroll it down?  Or does it go slow depending on how much you are scrolling it?  I mean is it sensitive to it, or is just like you are pushing a button by wheeling it down?  Just switches my equipment, but then again, that's just my setup.  And I don't use a keyboard that much because I'm still getting used to it.  Most of the time I use my good ole 360 controller and there is no such thing as "sensitve analog stick" movement anymore.  No matter how much you move it, it only goes one preset speed.  Remember, I'm newb to PC lmao

You only get 2 speeds in CT....normal and slow, so it alternates b/w the 2. I don't like switching my eq with the mouse wheel. Doesn't do it for me.

Farley4Fan

On console you have a lot of speeds depending on how much you are pushing the analog stick forward.  That's what I miss from the console - PC switch.

Westfall

Quote from: Papa Skull on April 11, 2008, 02:14:24 AM
On console you have a lot of speeds depending on how much you are pushing the analog stick forward.  That's what I miss from the console - PC switch.

Can some1 else verify that there were multiple speeds on the XBox CT version. Not saying you're lying. Just want another person to yay or nay so we can definitely implement more than one speed. Spekkio suggested this sometime back.

Farley4Fan

I can tell you "yay" lol

Unless my disc was sooo screwed up that it gave me extra features  :D

Kind of weird that this was a suggestion and I've been playing with it since SvM came out.

Gawain

even if there are several speeds on the console version, it doesn't make any sense to use more than the one's the pc players are using. crouch (or crouch-dive) to get somewhere silently, slow mode to not set off motion tracking and mines or go extra silently through vents/ceiling/grab position, and running to move as fucking fast as you can.
different speeds would only make sense with a sound system like spekkio suggested.

I <3 U

Quote from: Westfall-US on April 11, 2008, 02:16:13 AM
Quote from: Papa Skull on April 11, 2008, 02:14:24 AM

Can some1 else verify that there were multiple speeds on the XBox CT version. Not saying you're lying. Just want another person to yay or nay so we can definitely implement more than one speed. Spekkio suggested this sometime back.

There was more than a two speed system on xbox. Thats the one thing the xbox did better than the pc. It also makes the game alot harder however, on xbox that is (eg if you're about to disable a mine, and a merc shoots you and you shit yourself and accidently go to far up on the analog stick, then boom. It makes it alot realer though.