SCCT Versus Maps

Started by CurdyMilk, February 21, 2010, 03:15:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennardF1989

Lakehouse is nowhere near Club House FYI and I don't mean only in style, it's a completely different layout too. It once started a remake (RoboBlitz era), but it's now our own map.

Spekkio

Well, they don't seem to be doing it themselves, but it's not like PS team can realistically stop you from making them, downloading them, or playing them.

CurdyMilk

My idea was not necessarily taking ubi's maps (because I am sure we have all played them to death and gotten sick and tired of them even though they were good), but instead taking uncommon user created maps that are still decent and working with them.  I would also rather have Mr. Mic's map pack in this than ubi's maps.  The team could possibly remake the map pack themselves, but it appears as if the only way to remake other maps besides those is to do them yourself.

Cronky

Quote from: CurdyMilk on March 03, 2010, 11:24:43 PM
My idea was not necessarily taking ubi's maps (because I am sure we have all played them to death and gotten sick and tired of them even though they were good), but instead taking uncommon user created maps that are still decent and working with them.  I would also rather have Mr. Mic's map pack in this than ubi's maps.  The team could possibly remake the map pack themselves, but it appears as if the only way to remake other maps besides those is to do them yourself.

This line of questioning from me was just for my personal curiosity. As much fun as other maps were, I have a special place in my mind for Deftec. If it never gets remade, I will find the time to do it even if it turns out like crap/Only is used by a few friends and I.

@Lennard

I'm just going by my first impression of the Lakehouse Teaser. While yes, when I watched it the map was entirely different; I saw the inspiration behind it. Whether that has changed drastically from your video or not is beyond me. In my eyes it is still very comparable, as I was doing while watching that video.

Club House = Lake House

Garden Room = Yacht Room

Front Desky Area = Trophy Room

(Names are just my best guess)

I'm not doubting that it will play differently than Club House did... Just that the first impression I was given for it doesn't go away just because you added a room/changed the visuals. Which means Lakehouse will always be a Club House remake.

To me at least.
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------
xFire:Cronkbot | Steam:Cronky

CurdyMilk

There are a couple really cool entrances for spies from these maps.  One is cargoship, where the spies start on a mini boat and infiltrate a giant cargoship once they land on the ship.  Another is in sublabs, where the spies are traveling down a giant elevator shaft into the ocean laboratory.  They get a nice view of the ocean and parts of the lab on their way down.  Obviously these were not executed very well in CT and could be greatly improved, but slick entrances into the map could make things interesting.  Parachuting is another option I like for landing on certain rooftops.  These may take a lot of time and could not be that big of a pay off, but I wonder if there could be ways in which it would work.  Say a spy is landing on a rooftop, maybe he could choose between a few entrances and his control could determine which place he lands.  For the boat, maybe he could choose which side of the ship to go to.  For the elevator shaft, maybe the spies could stop it on certain floors and pick where to get off.  It could also be useful if the specific map layout needs to give mercs and extra 5-10 second start to set up to avoid spy rushes at certain objectives.

Zedblade

Quote from: Cronky on March 03, 2010, 11:35:19 PM
@Lennard

I'm just going by my first impression of the Lakehouse Teaser. While yes, when I watched it the map was entirely different; I saw the inspiration behind it. Whether that has changed drastically from your video or not is beyond me. In my eyes it is still very comparable, as I was doing while watching that video.

Club House = Lake House

Garden Room = Yacht Room

Front Desky Area = Trophy Room

(Names are just my best guess)

I'm not doubting that it will play differently than Club House did... Just that the first impression I was given for it doesn't go away just because you added a room/changed the visuals. Which means Lakehouse will always be a Club House remake.

To me at least.

Clubhouse = Lakehouse

Garden = Dock

Main Hall = Entrance\Lobby

Jacuzzi = Game Room

Steam Room = Cigar Room\Smoking Lounge

Tea = Dining Hall

Room Across from Tea (Lunch?) = Theater

Now you know  ;)

And your right, Lakehouse is and has always been inspired by the layout of Clubhouse. That's something we stated since the beginning. However, the general layout is the only similarity and the map will play completely different.

Truthfully, I regret making the layout like clubhouse. When the mod first started it seemed like a good idea. By the time I realized I wanted to change the layout it was too late, the process would require way too much work.

Cronky

Quote from: Zedblade on March 29, 2010, 02:22:11 PM
Clubhouse = Lakehouse

Garden = Dock

Main Hall = Entrance\Lobby

Jacuzzi = Game Room

Steam Room = Cigar Room\Smoking Lounge

Tea = Dining Hall

Room Across from Tea (Lunch?) = Theater

Now you know  ;)

And your right, Lakehouse is and has always been inspired by the layout of Clubhouse. That's something we stated since the beginning. However, the general layout is the only similarity and the map will play completely different.

Truthfully, I regret making the layout like clubhouse. When the mod first started it seemed like a good idea. By the time I realized I wanted to change the layout it was too late, the process would require way too much work.

I can respect this ^^^

I know you guys don't want all your work wrote off by some person saying, "You just copied CT SvM", but giving credit where it's due is something that seems to be the only problem I had with Lennard's statement.

Quote from: LennardF1989 on March 03, 2010, 11:13:59 PM
Lakehouse is nowhere near Club House FYI and I don't mean only in style, it's a completely different layout too. It once started a remake (RoboBlitz era), but it's now our own map.

Even in there it's said that it started as a remake, confirmed by you (ZedBlade), but Lennard goes to say that it has NO connection what so ever to Clubhouse.

I didn't mean to say the map was bad in any sense, or that it wont be fun/different to play. Saying that something is copied, and saying something is inspired are two different things. Which I meant Inspired when I said Remake. (Since the word remake isn't held to the definition that it MUST be exactly the same)

It's like saying that Project Stealth is a Unique Game-Mode that hasn't been seen anywhere else. Obviously it's inspired by Ubisoft's SvM mode, but that doesn't mean it's a direct copy. Saying otherwise is just so obviously negligent of the origins. Not to say that it's something you have to Tag and make sure everyone knows, but if someone asked, you should be fine with giving the real answer.
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------
xFire:Cronkbot | Steam:Cronky

CurdyMilk

Since I cannot post in the join us section, I will just post it here since you can download it from my files.  Damian I played your Dock map.  It was a decent map to joke around with friends, especially when I fell off of the submarine into the water.  Haha.  Anyway, I would say you should give this guy a chance on the team.  Although the map was not designed to perfection, there were no major bugs or any problems.  There is some potential here.

Westfall

feev

Quote from: CurdyMilk on March 29, 2010, 05:57:36 AM
There are a couple really cool entrances for spies from these maps.  One is cargoship, where the spies start on a mini boat and infiltrate a giant cargoship once they land on the ship.  [...]

Thanks for your compliment.
If there is enough interest in a port or a new map based on the basic idea, I will be happy to give the dev team permission to use my map.

nubishdubishbone

Quote from: LennardF1989 on February 22, 2010, 01:16:10 AM
Quote from: CurdyMilk on February 21, 2010, 10:16:03 PM
2. why would the person care anyway since it is only a person, not a company?
That sounds like: We are bigger than you, so shut up.

You simply can't do that, how would you feel if Ubisoft would take your map and call it their own, potentially sell it and you don't get a dime for it?

It actually happened with a level of EpicJohn, Epic copied one of his maps (HEAVILY inspired) and it became quite an affair.

Yup, it happens, still worng but technically legal, thoughi wouldn't recommend it ;).
Intel i5 3.2Ghz - EVGA Z77 FTW - EVGA GTX 480 - 4GB DDR3 1066MHz - Rosewill Blackhawk SuperTower Case - Antec True Power Quattro 1200W PSU - WD Caviar Black 1TB - Creative Recon3D Fatal1ty PCIe -Logitech Z508 5.1 Surround with "Dialog Plus"