How is the developing going?

Started by Sunshine, March 12, 2010, 01:37:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunshine

So, kinda low on updates and statements about the development.

What have you been up to recentely? And how close are we to a beta, or even the full release? What do you have left in developing before game can be released?

Curious!

frvge

Good point. We're preparing some new stuff for a media release. The content of that? Hopefully a bit of everything. :P (by that I don't mean executable demos).

The main two branches of our code still need to be merged, and there's no real schedule for that.
So in footage of one build you can see some of Mulle's stuff and in other footage stuff made by Lennard.
In the end it will be merged for an alpha.

As usual, I won't give a release date indication for the new footage, because we're still iterating through some stuff and creating new things too.

It's also interesting to note that the poll on the main page of Project Stealth is in favor of few media updates over many text updates. I personally prefer text updates, because then it's easier to see that there's progress.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Sunshine

Well, best would be both media and text. And I'm quite certain that a written overview wouldn't take that long time anyway? It's for sure fun for us that can't see all your progress to finally get a part of it and see it. You can and probably have seen it plenty of times, thereby it's not the same "thrill" for you.

I took a look at moddb, and it was even fun to see the spy run around in Lakehouse. Would be nice see him run around, entering some vents, climbing them, hacking an objective and such. (Maybe you haven't gotten that fair, but I presume you have)

frvge

Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

CurdyMilk

It's depressing to look at the member page and see about 20 devs but realize only 5 or 6 are actually active.   

frvge

Yup. I 'clean up' every once in a while. Some members are in an on/off-state which means that they are available for comments if we ask them, but apart from that they aren't really in the loop. Some are still there because they provided good stuff in the past.

Keeping an active developer base is the hardest part of any volunteer-based game.

Farley4Fan

I asked in another thread how the physics system is coming along.  Seeing as how this thread is appropriate I'll just ask here.  How are the physics going?

frvge

We don't do much with physics. Maybe a few decorative props that can be shot and then move a bit...

CurdyMilk

Doesn't everything require physics?  What physics is already innate in UDK that you don't have to do yourself?  Fragmentation and nade physics are the two things you have to do yourself right?  The rest seems pretty standard...

frvge

You can set the type of 'object', like rigid body etc etc.

The things we have to set for animations are acceleration and velocity.

From one of the earlier posts, someone was interested in the 'physics' of chaff particles.
Chaff particles are currently blocked by walls.

As far as I know, there are no rope-bridges or pullies in Lakehouse or other things that can be affected by physics. Elevators, for example, are scripted events with some rough in-editor animation to it to move the elevator up and down. No real physics there (but it IS possible).

CurdyMilk

Quote from: frvge on March 16, 2010, 12:12:28 AM
You can set the type of 'object', like rigid body etc etc.

The things we have to set for animations are acceleration and velocity.

From one of the earlier posts, someone was interested in the 'physics' of chaff particles.
Chaff particles are currently blocked by walls.

As far as I know, there are no rope-bridges or pullies in Lakehouse or other things that can be affected by physics. Elevators, for example, are scripted events with some rough in-editor animation to it to move the elevator up and down. No real physics there (but it IS possible).
Ahh.  Rope-bridges, pullies, and ziplines are all must haves for PS future maps.  Oh and by the way...I am in college Physics right now so if you've got the questions I've got the answers for projectile motion problems of acceleration and velocity or anything else.  Not that you would really need it but just in case you do I can try to help.  ;D

Farley4Fan

I would love, no, LOVE to command my teammate to get onto a platform, raise up the platform with a pulley, then let go and watch him crash into the ground and die.  I would hop around and then quickly teabag him.  As soon as he'd spawn I'd say "alright let's get serious now".

frvge