Browser games getting a level up? (PS related?)

Started by Cronky, October 07, 2011, 10:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cronky

A news article on The Escapist had some potentially interesting news:

QuoteUnreal Engine 3, the game engine that powers Bulletstorm, Gears of War 3 and BioShock Infinite, now works in Flash.

The amount of work needed to make your game work isn't mentioned, but it seemed interesting that (since I assume PS is running on U3 engine) PS may be able to run in a browser. How much more fun would I be having right now at work if I could be playing PS?? (and how quick would I be fired?)

Just thought I'd bring this up as I saw it as interesting.

(TF2 might be a possibility too)
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------
xFire:Cronkbot | Steam:Cronky

AgentX_003

Quote from: Cronky on October 07, 2011, 10:50:58 PM
A news article on The Escapist had some potentially interesting news:

QuoteUnreal Engine 3, the game engine that powers Bulletstorm, Gears of War 3 and BioShock Infinite, now works in Flash.

The amount of work needed to make your game work isn't mentioned, but it seemed interesting that (since I assume PS is running on U3 engine) PS may be able to run in a browser. How much more fun would I be having right now at work if I could be playing PS?? (and how quick would I be fired?)

Just thought I'd bring this up as I saw it as interesting.

(TF2 might be a possibility too)

I say no to this idea. I personally hate having to use a browser for games because it takes away from the whole experience =/.

-Thanks Murdy for da Sig <3  xD

Cronky

Well what this was about was that it works as both a standalone thing AND a browser game. Like imagine you had an account for PS. You could sign in through PS on your desktop, or, alternatively, you could run it off a browser. (In a situation like say.. you're at a friends house that doesn't have the game installed, and you want to show them the game without downloading the whole thing to their computer)

Now it also doesn't mention how much stuff you'll have to download to make it WORK over the browser. I assume, even though its through flash, you'd have to download some chunk of files (even if they're just temporary). I also assume things like Mods wouldn't work through a browser, but the vanilla game would.

It also takes away the requirement for a certain OS, instead only needing a system capable of utilizing flash.

(I'm sure if you could make it run off a browser, you could also make it play in full screen mode)
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------
xFire:Cronkbot | Steam:Cronky

DreadStunLock

I agree to this idea, and it doesn't take away any experience, Fallen Empire: Legions/Legions: Overdrive, had the same feature, and you could go full screen while playing on browser, same with Minecraft.

VenomousNinja

I am in support of this idea, if only because Agent dislikes it for a stupid reason, and if we can avoid letting Agent play PS we will be a much calmer community.

Farley4Fan

Quote from: VenomousNinja on October 15, 2011, 02:13:12 AM
I am in support of this idea, if only because Agent dislikes it for a stupid reason, and if we can avoid letting Agent play PS we will be a much calmer community.

I've been trying to think of a way to say exactly what you just said.  Thank you.

DreadStunLock

Quote from: VenomousNinja on October 15, 2011, 02:13:12 AM

Scrap what I said, I am in.

Tidenburg

My only problem with it is that I can see it becoming expected of video games to implement this feature. I've not really looked into it much, and I don't want to sound lazy, but I don't want to have to work on this feature for everything I ever make if it's more than a few lineswaps  ;D