Model Submission.

Started by VaNilla, November 29, 2007, 06:17:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VaNilla

I was looking at a HL2 mod which is unreleased as of now... but it has a very good system to do with modelling and I thought the team might like to know.

Basically, what they do is anyone just makes a model of certain types, they will name something to model, in simple terms, for example in PS it could be 'Night vision goggles' and anyone can see in a list what needs to be modelled and submit a model they have made, if the team likes it they can use it, and if not they don't use it, and these models could come from anyone.

There could be a database system which this mod doesn't use, this bit is my idea, you could have a FTP server or something like that, have folders named 'Characters' 'Equipment' 'Lights' etc. and people could upload a model into these folders, this way all the team could just download any new entries and check them out easily.

The modification which uses this system gets lots and lots of models in every week and I think it could be sucessful on this modification too, what do you think?

Farley4Fan

Well the spy goggles are already finalized.  So is the merc I believe.  Everyone could submit models of grenades because I know no one has done those yet.  I'm not a dev so I don't know what you can and can't model but I'm pretty sure not anything that actually is part of the spy or merc.

Succubus Dryad Of The Undying Comet

Light props, boxes, vehicles(static) etc would need to be created...
afaik Gui is making these.

Cyntrox

Well, the mappers could request custom props? That way we get more unique maps, and don't take the devs time.

Farley4Fan

True, I forgot about props.  I think we need to have a good variety of boxes and containers that all look different.  I get tired of seeing the same boxes/containers on maps like warehouse/polar/deftech.  Pretty much every map has little variety.

B1nArY_001

We already have a system in place that ensures the Mapper gets what they need and in the style they have envisioned for the map. The way things are being done will help to ensure quality stays consistent.

LennardF1989

Its about quality after all, not quantity.

Farley4Fan

Who says you can't have quality and not quantity at the same time? ;D

I think a variety would bring better quality also.

B1nArY_001

To a degree you are right, but there are tricks to providing more variety using less resources. The more items you have that have a unique mesh and textures the more memory you use. It will also be very map dependent as to how many unique props are required to make it realistic.

An office building for example would re-use a lot of meshes because every cubical or office would likely have a very similar if not the same desks, chairs, computers phones etc. In this case, unique pictures or some small random items that take virtually no memory can be used for variety. Placement and rotation of items is key in this as well. If you have the desk chairs sitting as if they have been pushed out as the user stands up, place them in slightly different spots to add a uniqueness to each office or cubical. Shift the phone to a different spot etc.

There's a lot we can do to make things look unique without making incredibly long load times and levels that get choppy,  ;)

Edit: It should be noted that performance is a big concern. Just as much as we would hate to see a poorly designed environment ruin the experience, we would also hate to see lag related issues because of performance due to an environment designed with the detail of a single player environment. Granted some of us could run some pretty intense maps but we have to consider those who don't have a high-end gaming system. Trust me, I'm totally with you on the detail, I'm continually putting myself in check so I don't go overboard on a model's poly count and texture size.

Farley4Fan

Yep.  With the new engine it shouldn't be much of a problem.  A lot of people are being forced to buy high end systems anyways with the new games like Crysis.  Personally, I have to buy a new PC to play this game.  I'm currently doing all of my gaming on the 360 but I have some PC experience as well.

I just hate to see repetition in maps, not just rotation or placement, but the same freaking objects everywhere.  I would also like to see some spots on the map that stick out.  Instead of: " Hey, I'm behind the box " it should be " hey, I'm behind the orange container " given that they aren't all orange containers.  Just stuff like that.  Changing the color of a certain object wouldn't make the load times longer, it's only a hue change and not a texture change.

Overstatement

If you can model, why aren't you posting in the Join Us forum?

Farley4Fan

I can't model, that's why I am suggesting what people should model and not actually modeling it.

goodkebab

We dont have a shortage of suggestions of WHAT to model, so dont be offended if it is necessary to filter out suggestions.

We are operating as closely as we can to any small time game development studio.  We have a loose heirarchy in place and everyone is happy with what they are doing.  Moral is good,  and wether the forums are positive or negative,  it does help us keep active.

The kind of system Stone has suggested work just fine if you have a very large team of modellers and a surplus of assets.  We only have 2-3 modellers and they are quite busy hacking away at the extensive list of assets that need to be created.  They are all creating some great stuff,  and we certainly wouldnt let anything of sub-quality get used. So far, nothing has been wasted.

We cannot do free for all map designs or anything remotely similar.  There has to be a very strict order of conduct on who builds the map,  is responsible for fixing it etc etc.

Cyntrox

Binary: Yes, but if we have a lot of different props you ensure that there's difference in all maps ;)

Goodkebab: The official maps are one thing.. But there will be fan-made maps too :)

Gawain

Quote from: Papa Skull on November 29, 2007, 10:45:00 PM
Instead of: " Hey, I'm behind the box " it should be " hey, I'm behind the orange container " given that they aren't all orange containers.  Just stuff like that.
good point. significant objects etc arranged around the map can improve communication a lot.