changing equipment

Started by BEAR, December 08, 2007, 09:03:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BEAR

i was thinking would it be possible to change your equipment in the game for merc, ie gun , mines, cam net, and so on rather than stick with the  4 you start with?. It would make it interesting...

Succubus Dryad Of The Undying Comet

No. It would encourage aggro more:
Go spam nades, go get more, repeat.

SITHDUKE

Quotefor merc, ie gun

I doubt if since if you could everyone would go grab shotguns and uzis.

Test-Subject

Quote from: Kok4f4n on December 08, 2007, 02:42:16 PM
No. It would encourage aggro more:
Go spam nades, go get more, repeat.

yup... but what if you could only change when ur dead?

InvisibleMan999

Quote from: Test-Subject on December 08, 2007, 03:27:44 PM

yup... but what if you could only change when ur dead?

Yeah, I like the idea of being able to change while dead. Changing while alive sucks. Not so muhc for spies but for merc. Place a bunch of mines and traps and then change your gear to something else. Or infinite frag spamming.

SPies are actually balanceable with refillable gear. Just like in DA, it takes a while to return to the spawn point. Often times, it may not even be worth it since you are in a race against time.

Spekkio

Changing while dead would be something neat to try out. I worry about potential imba of spies taking sneaky equipment in the first part of the round when objectives are plentiful and spread out, then switching to "balls-to-wall aggro" equipment to get the last objective. It gives them an easier time overall.

I don't really foresee the mercs changing equipment too often, with the exception of dropping the rifle in favor of the uzi or shotgun against an aggro spy team.

InvisibleMan999

Quote from: Spekkio on December 08, 2007, 06:19:04 PM
Changing while dead would be something neat to try out. I worry about potential imba of spies taking sneaky equipment in the first part of the round when objectives are plentiful and spread out, then switching to "balls-to-wall aggro" equipment to get the last objective. It gives them an easier time overall.

I don't really foresee the mercs changing equipment too often, with the exception of dropping the rifle in favor of the uzi or shotgun against an aggro spy team.

Yeah it would probably end up helping the spies a bit. Mercs would probably only want to switch weapons, that's about it. Since there's rarely any reason to actually change your gadgets as they are done now. Besides mercs dont tend to die as often, so there's less opportunity to change. So yeah, definitely advantage spies on that.

Farley4Fan

READ GUYS~THIS COULD WORK OUT!!!

Okay guys, think COD4.  Hopefully there are some of you who played it, which is EASILY the best game of the year, so go play it if you haven't lol   Before the game you can "Create a Class" where you choose your weapons and gadgets.  You get 5 slots of these classes to edit.  So, while you are dead you can switch to a different class with different gadgets and maybe for mercs a different gun that you have edited before the game.  During the game, you can't edit these classes, only in the lobby.  BUT you can switch between the classes while you are dead.

NOTE: You can name these classes like:  Aggro, Stealth, All Purpose, Infiltration.  That way, you know what class you are changing to if you realize you need you need certain gadgets for the job at hand.

Example:

Spy---

Class 1:  Smoke Nades, Chaff, Sticky Cams, Heartbeat Sensor - Sticky Shocker
Class 2:  Flash Nades, Sticky Cams, Spy Bullets, Alarm Snares -  Spy Glove ( If implemented )
Class 3:  Smoke Nades, Chaff Nades, Flash Nades, Sticky Cams - Sticky Shocker ( aggro loadout )
Class 4:  Chaff Nades, Alarm Snare, Holo Pod, Heartbeat Sensor - Sticky Shocker ( Stealth loadout )

NOTE:  You can edit the names of the classes and edit the gadgets they have.  You change classes while you are waiting to respawn.

Merc ---

Class 1: Frag Grenades, Tazer, Gas Mask, Back Pack - Uzi ( Close Quarter Combat )
Class 2: Frag Grenades, Gas Mask, Back Pack, Camnet - Sniper ( Long Range Combat )
Class 3: Gas Mask, Camnet, spy finder, Flares - Sniper or Uzi ( Recon ) just an example

And so on and so on.  You don't have to make classes for certain jobs, you could make a class for all purpose or whatever you want.

What about that?!  I think that it would work out perfectly!  You can't refill your gadgets at the spawn or anything but you can change them between lives.

You switch to the class that you think is at hand.  Example:

If you bring in your sniper class against players that were really aggro, you could switch to your close range class that you edit with all of the weapons and gadgets that you prefer for close range.

Another Example:

If you are a spy and you see that the mercs are CONSTANTLY whoring MT and using a shitload of mines, you could switch to a class with chaff, stickies, or heartbeat.  THen, you wouldn't be stuck trying to beat a guy with motion by using flash grenades.  The only way to switch classes though, is if you die.

Sound good everyone?  Personally, I think it would be a great addition to implement something like that into the game!!

Sorry for the long post but it is something that could totally work!

Gawain

sorry for the short post, but it's something that would be totally redundant.

Farley4Fan

Test-Subject

Quote from: Spekkio on December 08, 2007, 06:19:04 PM

the mercs would be advantage( witch I don't think there is any major advantage for either of them and it would be just for some bigger 'freedom' and more fun) the same way : when objectives are plentiful and spread out you take stuff to cover a large area like nades/sniper/mines/traps and then if you get to protect only 1 or 2 objectif you take tazer/shotgun...

You still need to die to change equipement and I don't think anyone will be like -I'm going aggro... going to kill my self

Westfall

Why should some1 be allowed to change there eq. mid match? Weren't we talking about balance? This would unbalance a lot right away.

Next, why not make it like Counter Strike and buy the weapons? Then upgrade. Etc.

I say nay.

Farley4Fan

Again westfall, you miss the point.  It's not unbalanced, everyone can do it.  You can't just like change it while you are playing or refill.  You only have 4 lives right?

Gawain

it's stupid. people will take stealth eq at the beginning and triple nades towards the end or some other lame shit. you can also spam snares and bullets, die (not voluntary), and take a totally different gadget so you got the advantage of snares but need no slot for it etc etc etc
tell me one good reason we should add this.

Westfall

Quote from: Papa Skull on December 09, 2007, 09:04:20 AM
Again westfall, you miss the point.  It's not unbalanced, everyone can do it.  You can't just like change it while you are playing or refill.  You only have 4 lives right?

No no, I understand it quite clearly. I don't think its necessary. It won't help the game play and will just lead to mercs changing for aggro and spies changing from stealth to aggro. I just don't see it as being necessary.