Possible Sound Reticule for Spies? New heartbeat suggestions?

Started by Farley4Fan, January 11, 2008, 01:49:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farley4Fan

Well, this was a gadget I just thought up.  The spy reticule.  Don't be too quick to judge because I want to discuss it, this is just something I literally thought of 2 mins ago.  It's developing in my mind as we speak lol

I was thinking.  I remember people talking about giving spies a gadget to easily detect mines and such.  And with all the talk about hearing nades fired across the map and yadda yadda...  It got me thinking about a possible gadget.  And that is the spy sound reticule.  It works like the camo suit, meaning that your battery energy drains when you use it.  When you activate it, you get a reticule on your screen like the merc's that detects sound.  I was thinking that it wouldn't detect the sounds of a merc making footsteps, but rather the next few things:

Frags/flares being fired
Mines/spy traps being planted
Mercs/spies landing from a height
Doors opening/closing
Proxy Mines beeping
Gunshots being fired
Maybe the sound of a merc talking on his mic?

Of course, it woudn't tell you what that sound actually is, only that a sound is coming from that direction.  Meaning that it could have been any of those things listed above.  It would make it a little bit easier to find mines and it would let you know which direction a frag is coming from.  The problem is that takes energy and only lasts a little longer than a full battery of camo suit.  You would be able to use other gadgets while using it, but not camo.  You can use the ss but it would drain your energy extremely fast.

Suggestions?  What should the sound detector pick up?

OR, you could make an alternative mode for heartbeat that you can select before the game starts.  The hearbeat gadget wouldn't detect mercs, but instead it would detect mines/traps and show it to you on your radar.  This wasn't my idea so I take no credit for it but I am bringing it up again.

Kubanator

Sound pretty cool, but since you can't tell the difference between mines and nades and such, it would be almost useless.

Farley4Fan

You'd be able to tell if it was a proxy or not because of the constant beeping pattern.  Like the reticule would go something like this if was picking up a proxy - Detection.....Detection.....Detection....Detection  And so on...  PLUS, if you can actually hear the proxy with your own ears, you will know that it is actually picking up a proxy right?  Then the detector would help you locate it by telling you the direction it is coming from.  Same goes for a launched grenade.  If you can actually hear the nade being fired with your own ears, the detector would help you find what direction it came from and go the opposite way.  Plus it would let you know where the merc was that fired it because it pointed you towards him.

It might turn out to be pretty good imo.

Overstatement

So....you can hear any merc, anywhere fire his gun or does distance figure into it somehow?

Farley4Fan

Of course distance plays into it.  But it also depends on how loud the sound is right?  Like you wouldn't be able to detect a beeping mine from across the map, but rather like 20 feet or so.  I'm guessing you'd be able to hear the gun from about 150 feet away (although unrealistic) it would work that way.  It would be a very general direction it gives you because of the distance.

What if you could hear the merc talking on his mic?  I mean detect the sound on the reticule of course, not hear what he is saying ( that is a different topic although it would be awesome to hear a merc from 10 feet away, and be able to talk to him lol )

I think it would be useful, but not overpowered.  Mostly because it eats up your energy and it has a limited amount of time for use.

Xris

lets not forget it would make you show up on EMF like camo :)

Farley4Fan

Kubanator

Should the spy have this by default? Unless you mean hearing aids, because of all of the flash bangs.

Farley4Fan

What?  Did you suggest this as a gadget?

And no Kubanator.  This would be selectable as a gadget.

Tidenburg

I suggested the sound reticule but not exactly as you have done:
http://www.projectstealthgame.com/index.php/topic,343.msg6243.html#msg6243
In mine it didn't point at direction of the sound but maybe it should :S My idea was also that the dot in the center acted as a cursor to interact with objects whereas your is a gadget.

I think SD for spies has been mentioned quite a few times though.

Cyntrox

I don't think a cursor will look right. Some other indicator may though.

Farley4Fan

Not in the middle of your screen.  Maybe it would appear in your HUD though...  I think I remember saying that in Tidenburg's thread....  Yep, I just checked, and I did say that.  ;D

I think that below the spy would look fine.  Like at the bottom of your screen in the middle.  That way it doesn't interfere with your view but it may block the view of the spy's butt, which I am sure you guys don't really care about.  Unless you like virtual asses or something lol

I didn't search for this because mainly, I just wanted to bring it up again.  Mainly because of all the talk about things relating to it lately.

Gui Brazil

I guess it could be cool to have it as a gadget...

Quote from: Papa Skull on January 11, 2008, 06:08:37 PM
Not in the middle of your screen.  Maybe it would appear in your HUD though.

I think that having it in one of you HUD's corners would be the best.

Farley4Fan

Well in the corner it would be weird because it would point a different way.  It needs to be in the middle of your screen but on the top or bottom edges  Know what I mean?  Like imagine having your sound reticule as a merc on the side of your screen.  That would get confusing wouldn't it?  It's hard to explain, but it needs to go on the top or bottom, but still be centered where the actual spy is.