Possible Sound Reticule for Spies? New heartbeat suggestions?

Started by Farley4Fan, January 11, 2008, 01:49:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Succubus Dryad Of The Undying Comet

Well, the spies googles are visible at all times. That's why there is the spies emf ghost.

Daybreak

Sounds a lot like my idea for the echo-suit, that I posted in another thread. It however was completely ignored. This is something that I might use.

B1nArY_001

Not trying to offend anyone who likes this idea but I'm going to be blunt.

Using Chaos theory as a familiar reference point:

Is it that hard to locate mines using tools such as thermal vision and your own two ears? - NO

Is it that hard to learn where the good mine placements are? - NO

Is it that hard to use a spy bullet or a heartbeat sensor to locate a merc? - NO

Is it that hard to learn the areas where it smart for the Merc to be for quick access to the objectives he is guarding? - NO

Is it hard to hear gunshots or grenades from a significant distance away even without EAX - NO

Should you write a book about this gadget called "The Gadget for Dummies" - YES

This gadget would overlap functions and be akin to giving a perfectly able man a handicap cart to help him get around just because he is lazy and doesn't want to put out the effort. Do you not want to have to pay close attention? Do you not want to have to learn the levels and both team's strategies so you can out think your adversary?

And that's my rant, take it or leave it, like it or not.

Farley4Fan

You don't have to pull out your gun to use it.  You can use it while moving and not have a handicapped speed.  It can hear doors opening and closing.  EAX will be nerfed, so I hear, or it will be removed.  Another use I suggested for this is the ability to detect mercs who are using their mic and talking.  Heartbeat can't do that.  Maybe if you are close enough it will let you hack in and hear their conversation.

Westfall

Quote from: Papa Skull on January 15, 2008, 03:46:33 AM
You don't have to pull out your gun to use it.  You can use it while moving and not have a handicapped speed.  It can hear doors opening and closing.  EAX will be nerfed, so I hear, or it will be removed.  Another use I suggested for this is the ability to detect mercs who are using their mic and talking.  Heartbeat can't do that.  Maybe if you are close enough it will let you hack in and hear their conversation.

If you had a gadget that could tell you the distance at which a merc was from you, would you use it: YES

You can hear where a merc is now because of EAX. With EAX you shouldn't be able to hear how far some1 is. And not having to whip out your gun (shows EMF) or shoot a spy bullet (heard by merc) would be stealthier than ANYTHING ELSE IN THE GAME. Spy reticule is brilliant if you could use it correctly and it were designed correctly.

No offense Binary because you listed some factual instances.

The human mind is like a parachute...it only works if it is open. We aren't in Chaos Theory anymore.

B1nArY_001

Very well aware of that West :) But as there are not concrete names for the gadgets in Project Stealth it was the only medium that provided easy communication of the fact that this gadget does way to much and makes it way to easy for the spy. There needs to be a human element, that is where the real skill comes into play and separates the great from the mediocre. Like you said, Project Stealth is not CT and for that very reason this gadget would be far to powerful, even more so than in CT.

Mines... picking up mines? seriously... Without sound-loss and with visions and your own damn ears... You've gotta be kidding me... It will either be overpowered or utterly useless.

Edit: I played for a very long time without using EAX because I used a USB headset; if you really listen there are a lot of things you can hear. EAX does give a pretty ludicrous advantage but even without EAX it is quite easy to pick up a merc's footsteps and determine the direction. The only time it's a real issue is when there is a lot of environmental noise. That same noise is also a problem with EAX though.

Gawain

i agree with binary 100%.
pros would never waste a slot for that gadget, and noobs would use it instead of learning the game.

know what would really be the "next step" even if it doesn't sound that open-minded (parachute rofl nice1): a good sound implementation. it sounds easy, but is indeed a very complex task, especially in a stealth game. the whole balance and gameplay depends on it...

Westfall

Quote from: Gawain on January 15, 2008, 12:08:11 PM
i agree with binary 100%.
pros would never waste a slot for that gadget, and noobs would use it instead of learning the game.

know what would really be the "next step" even if it doesn't sound that open-minded (parachute rofl nice1): a good sound implementation. it sounds easy, but is indeed a very complex task, especially in a stealth game. the whole balance and gameplay depends on it...

I feel, that before we downplay the whole spy reticule thing, it should at least be tested. Can I get some devs views/opinion on this topic?

Gui Brazil

I think it could be a nice replacement for heart beat sensor. I guess wheter or not you'll appear on the radar has to be tested.

Farley4Fan

I wasn't suggesting a replacement.  But if it shows sound on your radar it could work.  If it replaces it then you would have to show up on EMF while using it.  I was really suggesting an alternative gadget for recon, like bullets and hbs.  It would have its upsides and downsides, but hey, every gadget does.

I think that instead of having 4 distinct directions it should give the exact direction.  Like an arrow that goes around the circle and points directly to the sound.  And not just left right straight or behind you.

Gui Brazil

I thought of it as a replacement because I think that 3 gadgets doing basically the samething is not needed.

Farley4Fan

It doesn't do the same thing.  It has a larger range than hbs, but it doesn't put them on your radar like hearbeat does. 

Here's something else I was thinking of.

Just an electronic detector for spies, not even heartbeat.  It detects electronics like mines and spy traps and a reticule guides you toward them.  Like I said before it wouldn't be like the mercs reticule.  It would point straight to it.  Not just left, right, straight and behind.  It has a full circle of directions, meaning it would be pretty much infinite directions.  Think of it as a wheel, it can turn in a circle straight towards the electronic.  It points towards mines, spy traps, lasers, cameras.  It could maybe even tell you what it is that it is detecting.  Like above the reticule it could say "proxy mine" or "laser grid".  If you go that way and give it that ability, it would have to have a limited time of use, like it takes up energy.  It might be op though.  It was just a thought.

Succubus Dryad Of The Undying Comet

Very OP.
Noobs would waste a gadget slot instead of learning the game.
How about just beeping, no direction, and only 1-3 uses per life?

Gui Brazil

Quote from: Papa Skull on January 15, 2008, 08:21:33 PM
It doesn't do the same thing.  It has a larger range than hbs, but it doesn't put them on your radar like hearbeat does.

I said it does BASICALLY the same thing. The 3 gadgets have the function of finding where the merc is. You won't see him on the radar but you'll still know if he's to the left, right, infront or behind you.