OMG where's the new stuff?

Started by frvge, July 12, 2011, 10:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frvge

Hi all,

Just a headsup because you haven't heard much lately.
We had a couple of broken PCs and college and job issues with our most active dev members, so we haven't made a lot of progress in the past few months. However, with the stuff being repaired and the holidays on the horizon, things should pick up again. We're getting some initial input on a training level, more sounds have been uploaded and we're working on camo and UI so that's nice.

We've finished the animation for the Spy coop. It's similar to the one you already know and love from other games. There were some other additional variants for it, but they weren't feasible on a technical level. Where there are a few variants, there are more.

I'd like to ask you to think of all kinds of variants for the moves we've shown you thusfar. These can be simple, like hitting a Merc or jumping up and down, or more advanced like running up a wall or doing a fatal move to a Merc.

The same goes for the Merc's moves too.

So get creative and draw your idea! The person with the best idea (not necessarily the best drawing skills) will get an early sneakpeek of the Spy's human ladder animation, and maybe your idea will get animated!

Many people are on holidays so we'll decide in 4 weeks. That long without PS? Yup, unless we suddenly have a flow of new stuff.

Anyway, enjoy and surprise us!

frvge
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Wh1tE_Dw4rF

I spy back to wall should be able, when near a doorway, to reach out his leg in an attempt to trip an advancing merc.

DreadStunLock

Quote from: Wh1tE_Dw4rF on July 13, 2011, 02:26:59 AM
I spy back to wall should be able, when near a doorway, to reach out his leg in an attempt to trip an advancing merc.

+9001!

CurdyMilk

Not really my idea because someone mentioned it before:

Jumping backwards off poles/ladders rather than just falling down

Cronky

I want a co-op knockout move. Either it does nothing, or it makes the Merc knocked out for a longer duration. Reason why? Errr... don't really have one. I assume the downside to it would be that both spies have to be together for it to happen. Or actually put in the co-op throw move from CT. Sure, it's use isn't very practical, but it'd be more of a showboat-y way to knock someone out. Like taunt deaths in TF2.

...Love me some taunt deaths.

Give the Merc a variation on the Neck straddle thing they do when you want to be all dominatrix on the Spy that you knocked out (Where you break the spies neck by slamming his head with your gun). Give a percentage chance that it will skip that whole deal, and instead just stomp the spies neck, Issac Clarke style. Kinda like a critical hit in the, "I could have just shot you, but I decided to make this personal instead" move set. Seems brutal, and I don't actually want to picture it, but I know I'd be amazed if it happened.

...Let me fistfight as both spy and merc...

(These ideas are dumb)
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------
xFire:Cronkbot | Steam:Cronky

DreadStunLock

Tidenburg

Make grenades stumble spies if they're in the blast radius.

frvge

Quote from: Tidenburg on July 13, 2011, 12:40:58 PM
Make grenades stumble spies if they're in the blast radius.
Frag grenades? Or all grenades incl Flashbang?
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Vega

You guys most likely saw this a long time ago but I'll post anyways for a plug:

Allows spies to disable cameras without giving a notification of "security failure."  Only works when cameras are constructed on the map to allow spies to reach them, obviously.

Allows spies to disable lasers silently without giving the "security failure" message.  Would be useful when maps have the lasers + camera combo, which is when cameras are located right outside of lasers, causing a spy who simply rolls through lasers to be detected.  An example of this is found in Factory map for Chaos Theory, the room next to digger (it's been too long to remember...transformer room?).

Both above examples have the inherent coop disadvantage, which is making two spies be in the same place at the same time; limiting the spies potential to navigate the level separately and efficiently.  This is a disadvantage that is capitalized by competent merc players.

I've also drawn one more for fun with my SICK painting skills:

It doesn't have too much tactical value but it gives the spy a disabling move (with limitations) other than knocking a merc out with a grab + elbow combo or jumping on them.  A merc could have a similar counter move if so desired, but how to determine who strikes who first is up for debate.  Just some food for thought.

Vega

Quote from: Wh1tE_Dw4rF on July 14, 2011, 03:14:15 AM
Your last idea seems familiar, oh wait.

I didn't even read the replies before I posted that but yeah I see we have similar ideas.  After reading I had a vision and felt yours would be best represented as this...

Totally tactical.  The merc is incapacitated.  The spy has a disable move.  AND it double serves as a humiliation move!

AgentX_003

Quote from: Vega on July 14, 2011, 06:07:15 AM
Quote from: Wh1tE_Dw4rF on July 14, 2011, 03:14:15 AM
Your last idea seems familiar, oh wait.

I didn't even read the replies before I posted that but yeah I see we have similar ideas.  After reading I had a vision and felt yours would be best represented as this...

Totally tactical.  The merc is incapacitated.  The spy has a disable move.  AND it double serves as a humiliation move!

it sure shows  about putting a smile on that face :D

-Thanks Murdy for da Sig <3  xD

NeoSuperior

For that to work, the "back to wall"-move should not make any sound.
If there are any orthographic/grammatical errors in this post, you can keep them and, if you want, hang them over your bed ;)

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."
- Mike Godwin

DreadStunLock

Quote from: Vega on July 14, 2011, 02:10:27 AM
You guys most likely saw this a long time ago but I'll post anyways for a plug:

Allows spies to disable cameras without giving a notification of "security failure."  Only works when cameras are constructed on the map to allow spies to reach them, obviously.

Allows spies to disable lasers silently without giving the "security failure" message.  Would be useful when maps have the lasers + camera combo, which is when cameras are located right outside of lasers, causing a spy who simply rolls through lasers to be detected.  An example of this is found in Factory map for Chaos Theory, the room next to digger (it's been too long to remember...transformer room?).

Both above examples have the inherent coop disadvantage, which is making two spies be in the same place at the same time; limiting the spies potential to navigate the level separately and efficiently.  This is a disadvantage that is capitalized by competent merc players.

I've also drawn one more for fun with my SICK painting skills:

It doesn't have too much tactical value but it gives the spy a disabling move (with limitations) other than knocking a merc out with a grab + elbow combo or jumping on them.  A merc could have a similar counter move if so desired, but how to determine who strikes who first is up for debate.  Just some food for thought.

That is f*cking amazing Vega!

Zedblade

Quote from: DreadStunlock on July 13, 2011, 03:07:23 AM
Quote from: Wh1tE_Dw4rF on July 13, 2011, 02:26:59 AM

+9001!

This is more serious, but i've always wanted the spy to be able to grab a merc from back to wall, rather then having to 'unstick' and then grab.

Anyway, I like all of those ideas Vega accept the last one. Seems too close to a form of hand to hand QTE combat like spy vs. spy had.