My Sketchbook

Started by tigaer, April 23, 2010, 04:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farley4Fan

Unlockable style filter ftw

goodkebab

Quote from: tigaer on May 31, 2010, 10:26:42 AM
Quote from: goodkebab on May 31, 2010, 10:12:28 AM
special note,   surfaces that are emitting bright light,  will not reflect light at the same time.  Just look at a lightbulb,  you wont see any reflections.

If you want it to have both,  reflective and emission....then the light will need to be extremely weak and as a result will not illuminate the environment.

Well these aren't exactly emitting light. These are tubes of water, and the tubes are being lit from lights that will be on the metal support bars at the top, which are outside of the tubes, so it would in turn be reflective to the lights around it. So the tubes themselves don't emit any actual light.

Also, the glass isn't the only thing reflecting, as the water inside the tubes will be moving thus refracting the light around it.

kk,  As you have painted it....the water is emitting the light.  Water in a tube does not reflect anything,  it is 100% invisible....and only bends the light slightly. The bubbles and particles in the water will  reflect light. Same for glass,  light will pass through it, and only bend a bit.  The reflection it self, will never be brighter then the light source ...and the more transparent the glass gets,  the less reflective it it will appear.

read up on "Fresnel" and "Index of Refraction"

What this means, in terms of your painting is that the glass and water should have exactly the same tonal values  and gradations as the objects behind it,  and for a reflection,  use very sharp and crisp highlights using the same value as the light source.

tigaer

Thanks for the tips. I'll be painting some darker values in there, as well as the rest of tubing that should be visible behind each row to make them seem more transparent and glass-like.

The water will be blue, due to the chemicals they put in them. I don't wanna spoil the maps theme, so I won't say any more about the creepy water. lol.

Something like that, but I'm over exaggerating the specular for artistic reasons.

Farley4Fan

It took me a second to realize that the person was wearing gloves.  I was wondering why the fingernails were so weird looking.  haha

Succubus Dryad Of The Undying Comet

Quote from: FarleyFan on June 01, 2010, 09:08:31 PM
It took me a second to realize that the person was wearing gloves.  I was wondering why the fingernails were so weird looking.  haha
I didn't realise until you pointed it out.
I guess I concentrrated on the way the light reflects.

tigaer

Worked on it a little more today. Really just tried to get the buildings looking interesting.

Cronky

On Topic:

I like the way your picture is progressing. Slowly getting more and more of the feeling of a real place. At first I thought it was going to be some sewage place.

Then you started getting the light all up in the tubes, moving it into a kind of Science-esque Facility.

Now it's all in perspective (As in I can actually tell heights) and seems like some kind of hidden base. Like some underground company that is attempting weird scientific experiments. (The Chemical kind, not the... Zombie, Oh mah gawd it got out; lets kill it with fire, kind.

Pretty sweet stuff.

Off-topic:

I find your Sig picture a little odd. (Not that it's bad or anything, or that you should change it) How you are pointing out PS to the people who have undoubtedly already seen it, or have ventured through the mainpage to find the forums.

It's minor and again not bad in any sense. Just strikes me as Odd.
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------
xFire:Cronkbot | Steam:Cronky

tigaer

Thanks bro. You basically got the concept of the map dead on. Good job. I can already see that my perspective is fucked in the top right of the back building compared to the pipes. Haha I'll fix that next time I work on it.

And my sig; Yeah, I use it in other forums and thought it looked pretty sweet lol. Think of it as a teaser for the games UI. It's all glitched up and everything to not spoil too much. ;)

Farley4Fan

Haha I've clicked on your sig expecting some new media that we haven't seen.  lol  Back to main page.

Also, the little ramp leg things underneath what looks like the half-life symbol, I think the lighting is a little off.  Looks awesome tigaer.

AgentX_003

Quote from: FarleyFan on June 09, 2010, 02:49:27 AM
Haha I've clicked on your sig expecting some new media that we haven't seen.  lol  Back to main page.

Also, the little ramp leg things underneath what looks like the half-life symbol, I think the lighting is a little off.  Looks awesome tigaer.

thats what i said xD !

-Thanks Murdy for da Sig <3  xD

LennardF1989

Took you guys long enough to figure out it's a distorted teaser of the new UI.... It's been there for, what, 3 weeks?

Gawain

hidden media releases like that look like a fun option to me. what about a monthly contest to find and identify hidden content?

Farley4Fan

Quote from: LennardF1989 on June 09, 2010, 10:14:45 AM
Took you guys long enough to figure out it's a distorted teaser of the new UI.... It's been there for, what, 3 weeks?

It is? 

tigaer

Quote from: LennardF1989 on June 09, 2010, 10:14:45 AM

Hahah I know dude. I was expecting them to catch on within a couple days.
And yes, it'd pretty much a distorted screenshot, only slightly edited to hold the text beter.
;)

Farley4Fan

Ooohh....  I likey.