i am an atheist

Started by Roberto1223, December 15, 2008, 11:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farley4Fan

QuoteThe origin of the universe or how God came into play is something that most likely can not explained by anything.

As is the big bang.

QuoteWhere the Bible claims the truth because it's in the book, science tries to find out how/what/why by experiments to verify theories.

A lot of these things have been tested, these stories in the Bible, by science and a lot of them have been proven to be true.  Again I believe that a lot of the stories in the Bible are simply moral teachings and not actual events.  Noah's Ark, Soddom and Gomorrah, they are being proven true by science.

QuoteE=MC2

Speaking of E=MC2, Einstein believed there is a God.  Just so you know.

Quotegoes a long way from the little dot of energy to the Big Bang... and if the Large Hedron Collider works as expected, we'll have an answer to why there's gravity. If it doesn't give that answer, science will continue their quest for knowledge. Theists dont need knowledge, because everything is in the book.

Obviously everything is not in the book.  If the Bible was a science book then we wouldn't need to do any experiments.  But I'll say it again, all science is just how not why.  I will always support doing scientific research on our universe but I have a very very hard time believing that that's all there is to our origin.

QuoteRemember: religion is always thought. Ethics depend on culture, not on religion.

Our culture resembles the Christian religion though and that's all I was saying.  Our law (in America and most parts around the world ) resembles the 10 commandments if you haven't noticed.

frvge

The ten commandments would fit basically any animal species more or less. Except for the humans, who violate them on a way larger scale than any animal...
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Farley4Fan

Ummm, no.  More or less?  How about way less.  That statement just boggles my mind.  Ever hear of predators - they kill, all the time.  Ever hear of scavengers - they steal food, all the time.  There's no real sense of right in wrong in the animal kingdom (other than in humans).  Do what it takes to survive is all animals know.  I'd love to hear you explain that statement because it makes 0 sense.

frvge

You misread killing for food for killing for non-food. Killing for food is natural for predators.
Humans are one of the few species that kill members of their own kind. Goes also for adultery and basically every sin.

Animals are better than humans.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Westfall

Quote from: Roberto1223 on December 17, 2008, 08:36:28 PM
Quote from: Westfall on December 16, 2008, 06:50:15 AM
Atheists make me laugh. Their beliefs are arrogant assumptions, just like every other religion in the world. The fact is, you don't know shit.

haha dude.. that is what an atheist is, a person who only believes reasoning can lead to the truth, and that therefore uses the scientific method to fill the gaps.. and yes we atheists do know the fact that we dont know anything (relatively) yet like u said.

in contrast, religious people use faith and other explinations to fill their gaps

being like a person like westfall whom thinks god is non existant and that science is obsolete reflects pure ignorance and uselessness lol.

For one, I did not say God was non-existent, or whatever you like to call it. I also did not say science was obsolete, that's just you trying to justify your cultist belief system.

Atheists are useless and ignorant. I am by no means a religious person, b/c I don't believe in fables, and I am by no means an atheist, because I do not know what happens to me when I die. I'm easily a class of non-retarded humans known as agnostics. YOU downplay the idea of a god, while I believe in "The goal is not to disprove God,  but to explain how God works." as goodkebab so finely put. Science is an amazing tool and I do believe in rationality, but science will never be able to prove everything because some things will never be defined. Unfortunately you fucking atheists have a set thought...you live once, you die and you redevelop in the trees...Those trees get cut down and make paper...toilet paper, that I wipe my ass with.

And just so you know atheist boy, it is a proven fact...scientifically....that there is energy in your body that releases itself when you die. This energy surrounds your brain and your entire spinal cord. Its just electricity...how the fuck do you think you feel shit...neurons. This deals with the ideas behind quantum physics that the greatest mind in the world could acknowledge and discover and has even been quoted in this thread by frvge...Einstein.

I'm glad that you feel high and mighty about your atheist beliefs, but not all of us are as naive. I suppose you open your mind a little more before being so definitive.

i dont do good actions because i fear punishment (hell), but simply because of the morale that i was taught by my parents and my school teachers.

Did they tell you that atheism was for the win too? I'm serious...you need to do some serious soul searching before you dub yourself something so close-minded. You can say I'm an idiot, or useless as you so intelligently put, but you still make me laugh at your lame justification.

QuoteSpeaking of E=MC2, Einstein believed there is a God.  Just so you know.

He was not, however, religious about it at all. He was in the belief that you are yourself God in how you react to your life. He's responsible for the theories around the god particle that the LHC is trying to find.

QuoteThe ten commandments would fit basically any animal species more or less. Except for the humans, who violate them on a way larger scale than any animal...

this statement along with anything in the bible would act as a guide on how to live morally. I'm pretty sure any human could figure it out though. Religions brought it too far and were incorrect in their judgments.

agentsmybitch

This is definitely an interesting debate and well done by most " I applaud all the efforts"
It appears it kinda boils down to     Science...... versus .......Faith   or I can make it even more simple 
" I believe in God  Therefore........... I did not come from an ape "  lol     just food for thought
"Now who wants a bannana"?

Farley4Fan

Agentsmybitch, (awesome name btw) evolution and God aren't mutually exclusive.  God easily could have used evolution to create humans.  I don't know.  For all I know he could have laid clues down for evolution to test our faith.  Wouldn't that be an interesting twist?

frvge

Why would he test you? Sounds like an excuse for hard decisions.

VaNilla

I agree, I don't like those kind of theories at all. It's like when you ask a religious person how God was created and they say "You would have to be God to understand that".

Farley4Fan

Quote from: frvge on December 19, 2008, 08:27:31 AM
Why would he test you? Sounds like an excuse for hard decisions.

Testing your love for your creator seem odd to you?  Why?

He gave us free will, meaning he won't make us do what he wishes.  He wants to see you do what he wishes on your own.  That's the test. 

Quote from: STON3COLDKILLA on December 19, 2008, 03:46:50 PM
I agree, I don't like those kind of theories at all. It's like when you ask a religious person how God was created and they say "You would have to be God to understand that".

We'll all know soon enough.  Everything loops.  All theories of the origin of the universe have that halting problem with what they propose.  What was before our universe?  How did THAT come to be?  No one knows - yet.

Blank Man

Atheists make me laugh. Their beliefs are arrogant assumptions, just like every other religion in the world. The fact is, you don't know shit.

Saying atheism is a religion is like saying a bald guy has a haircut. Westfall, you are saying that denying other religions and beliefs is gay... and at the same time you are denying the possibility of there being no god. I don't believe in god, I believe in spirit... conscience. I do believe in an after death. But I don't think that god picks me up by my hair and gently sets me upon a cloud and we all tell eachother stories without ever again feeling pain   :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Blank Man

btw... I'm surprised roberto is athiest. Athiests usually have common sense... He probably just followed his parents into it.

Blank Man

okay I can't just stop there... In my mind, religion is an excuse. An excuse for the unexplainable. Humans cannot determine how everything started and they never will be. But what a religion does is give you an answer to something they don't have the answer for. Then throughout history they fight eachother just to prove themselves right.

I like buddhists though. They believe in a god, but they accept the others beliefs as if they were their own. And they are a bit more spiritual than jump down on your knees when you're having a rough time, clench your hands together and PRAISE THE ALMIGHTY SMIGHTER FOR WELL BEING PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Kodadog

http://www.threadbombing.com/details.php?image_id=3016
Quote from: Westfall on December 18, 2008, 10:15:33 PM
Quote from: Roberto1223 on December 17, 2008, 08:36:28 PM

Atheists are useless and ignorant.

And insults make your argument stronger?

I am by no means a religious person, b/c I don't believe in fables, and I am by no means an atheist, because I do not know what happens to me when I die. I'm easily a class of non-retarded humans known as agnostics. YOU downplay the idea of a god, while I believe in "The goal is not to disprove God,  but to explain how God works." as goodkebab so finely put. Science is an amazing tool and I do believe in rationality, but science will never be able to prove everything because some things will never be defined. Unfortunately you fucking atheists have a set thought...you live once, you die and you redevelop in the trees...Those trees get cut down and make paper...toilet paper, that I wipe my ass with.

Westfall, most athiests don't necessarily believe in reincarnation. And whether you are an athiest or not, your body will decompose. I hope you grandchildren enjoy wiping their asses with your organs.

And just so you know atheist boy, it is a proven fact...scientifically....that there is energy in your body that releases itself when you die.

And I'm gonna need a citation bud.

Also, I don't understand how you call athiests arrogant and naive. Generally, the idea behind the logic is that it is up to the person that makes the claim to back it up. Those who believe in God, in order to avoid having fallacies in logic, must provide logical evidence that God exists. One can't simply say Santa exists because there are presents under the tree and call those who disagree arrogant.

You may call athiests arrogant because of the fact that the steadfastly deny God, but we, in theory, are no different from agnostics. This is because, collectively, we don't follow until there is evidence.

Farley4Fan

Quote from: Blank Man on December 20, 2008, 05:46:52 AM
okay I can't just stop there... In my mind, religion is an excuse. An excuse for the unexplainable. Humans cannot determine how everything started and they never will be. But what a religion does is give you an answer to something they don't have the answer for. Then throughout history they fight eachother just to prove themselves right.

I like buddhists though. They believe in a god, but they accept the others beliefs as if they were their own. And they are a bit more spiritual than jump down on your knees when you're having a rough time, clench your hands together and PRAISE THE ALMIGHTY SMIGHTER FOR WELL BEING PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

You're just being ignorant.

Quote from: Blank Man on December 20, 2008, 05:37:21 AM
btw... I'm surprised roberto is athiest. Athiests usually have common sense... He probably just followed his parents into it.

You're view of common sense is skewed because you do not have it.

Common sense is not so common.