Community Map: a recap of PS' challenges and Stage 1 of the map

Started by frvge, August 19, 2012, 12:08:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frvge

Hi all,

Everyone agrees that PS is taking too long to develop. The reason for this is pretty simple: we want quality and people with the needed skillset are hard to find. People that stay and give positive value to the project are even harder to find. Most of the Try-out people get various tests. The results of these tests are in one way or another beneficial for PS and/or for the skillset of the person applying for a role. However, this process can take up to 1.5 months, depending on how fast the applicant is. If the applicant then is approved and allowed in the Core Dev team, they often have changing lives and have to resign because of this (less time than expected etc). The total "value" is then the limited number of results from tests (some are not useful for PS) minus the time put in training and recruiting of that applicant. On average, this value is low or negative unfortunately.

If you look at it from another perspective, we might get more value with more contributors that stick to the project for a longer period, although the initial quality itself might be less than the current one. This is not a big deal: with the time people put into the various skills, they will become better at those skills and will hopefully remake models that aren't up to par.

With all this aside, I'd like to present:
Community Map: Stage 1 (Brainstorm)(haha, Comic Sans-ed!)
The idea is that you post ideas for maps, with a background. For each map, you should ask yourselft the following questions:

• Is this an interesting location? Players have seen countless of homogenous warehouses and so on. Be original! (House of Wax, base on the Moon, sewers, animal shelter)

• What kind of objectives are fun there? Note that you are NOT limited to hacking PCs etc. Everything can be an objective. Want to make using the elevators 20 times an objective? Go for it. As long as that makes sense in your setting (think TF2's various game modes).

• Are the objectives, besides fun, somewhat logical for both Spy and Merc? We're still trying to be a realistic game. Extracting a famous puppy from the shelter is logical. Extracting a health report of that puppy probably is not. You should be able to write a short synopsis of a background story for both Spy and Merc as to why protecting/infiltrating this location is so important.

• Who is defending? Spies and Mercs can change in their "position" of being the good guy/bad guy. This depends on your answer of point 3. Stealing bread to feed a starving child... who is good and who is bad. Interesting for backgrounds! Feel free to experiment.

• Does the location provide enough gameplay possibilities for both Spy and Merc? A train might be cool, but there's not enough manouverability for the Spies there. You can always get creative tho! (Shrink the Spies!)

• Is it a mature theme or not? I don't mind some controversy. Want to infiltrate a brothel and hack the PC of the pimp who overdosed to get his cash flow? Go ahead. You decide. As long as there's a good story! (pimp was selling CIA files to alien invaders). However, the final say in this part is with the Core Dev team.

Those are some points that I personally use when I brainstorm about maps. They are fairly high-level, so you can think of more yourself. If you have a good point, post it and I can add it to the list.

Thanks and I'm very curuious what you guys can come up with. After a few ideas, let's say 4-5, we'll have a poll to pick the best one. then it's on to Stage 2: designing the map and concept art.

frvge
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

NeoSuperior

Well, personally I think that instead of creating a map around a story, wouldn't it be a lot easier to create a story based on a map?
This is like literature... FIRST you create the setting, the characters, etc. and THEN you create the story around that (at least from the perspective of the reader)

In other words: I suggest we mix stage 2 with stage 1 and prirotize the design before the backgroundstory.

Aside from that:
Things that (imo) should be considered before creating a map:

1. What size do you want the map to have?

2. In what kind of order do you want the (yet unknown kind of) objectives to be done? Do it like club house where you have access to them all from the start? Or do it in a Sector system like warehouse? Or possibly a completly different System that will blow our minds?

3. [SUGGESTION] Do you want (if possible) to make the merc be the ones who have to do the objectives instead of the spy? Or do you prefer the classical spy infiltrators?

4. Do you want the map to be dark, but with only a few spy-exclusive passages, or do you prefer a bright map but with lots of spy-exclusive passages? Or maybe a middle ground?

That was my "brainstorming" for now. Maybe i get more ideas later on.
If there are any orthographic/grammatical errors in this post, you can keep them and, if you want, hang them over your bed ;)

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."
- Mike Godwin

frvge

Working from a setting is better than from a design, especially in the realism perspective for consistency.

The rest is good for stage 2, but we're sticking to stage 1 for now. So please focus on locaiton ideas for now.

Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Pusianka

hah funnily on my trip to Albania we were told by the guide about a perfect place for a map. In Albania there is a port built inside of a mountain and its super huge and so on, all the tunnels make up for 16 kms and the best part is: It was never used! Because the entrances were too small and the tide and waves too big to get into that port without crushing into the cliff. I think there is plenty to do around this idea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHa_jqxnn4o

"- It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.
- Hit it."

frvge

NeoSuperior

Some people on the forums discussed about a "Fort Knox" map some time ago. A government gold depot (IIRC) would make an interesting place for spy vs merc.

Time: near future

Story: Some time ago the non-government-company "AE" bought former gold storage "Fort Knox" from the government, because the U.S.A. had a new and more modern depot called "Fort X6" (comment: who gets the easter eggs?  ;) )
Now the government is in a financial crisis and they risk sending in [insert name of PS spies] to get their necessary funds for their campaign, however AE's information network helped them to find out about the attack shortly before it happens. In reaction to the imminent attack, AE sends out [insert name of PS mercs], one of the best PMCs in the world, to prevent the attack from being a success.

This would make the spies look kind of evil and would show a typical "fight over money".
If there are any orthographic/grammatical errors in this post, you can keep them and, if you want, hang them over your bed ;)

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."
- Mike Godwin

feev

Presenting map idea: Airport

• interesting idea? Yes of course, huge potential of using an original idea, familiar setting and special spy passages
  • kind of objectives? I'm thinking of computer terminals in stores, checkin-area, flight control room, cockpits of airplanes and so on
  • logical objectives?  At least to some amount I'd say
  • Who is defending?Definitely mercs!
  • gameplay possibilities? IMHO huge, spy vents (e.g. luggage vents), security, different types of gameplay areas: big open areas aswell as small and narrow terminals and in between (shops, waiting rooms)
  • mature theme?Let's stay soft for this one!

Let's go a step further...

frvge

Try a bit with more text in the answers. Also, where do the normal passengers go? You can fake stuff, but it'll be hard.

feev

Quote from: frvge on August 19, 2012, 07:55:48 PM
Try a bit with more text in the answers. Also, where do the normal passengers go? You can fake stuff, but it'll be hard.

I guess it could work in the setting, of the airport being temporally shut down.
Therefore spys and mercs could use the same ways and areas of normal passengers. Mercs would be allowed to go anywhere (including security areas), to fullfill their mission of protecting the airport.
Spys on the other hand have the mission to infiltrate the building and steal / hack classified information.

Obviously there has to be a bigger reason for the shutdown and protection of the airport.
E.g.: The government got a tip of a possible attack on the building...

Maybe a night setting would further improve realism.

frvge

Closing an entire terminal is not realistic. A whole airport? I doubt it. These structures have big contingity (spelling?) plans in case there's a fire, flood, attack, hostage situation or just maintenance. (hint: use a sector map: first a small part is shutdown for maintenance. Then Spies hack electricity so other things are evacuated -> doors open to other sectors). Just an example.

AgentX_003

Quote from: Meister_Neo on August 19, 2012, 05:31:53 AM
Some people on the forums discussed about a "Fort Knox" map some time ago. A government gold depot (IIRC) would make an interesting place for spy vs merc.

Time: near future

Story: Some time ago the non-government-company "AE" bought former gold storage "Fort Knox" from the government, because the U.S.A. had a new and more modern depot called "Fort X6" (comment: who gets the easter eggs?  ;) )
Now the government is in a financial crisis and they risk sending in [insert name of PS spies] to get their necessary funds for their campaign, however AE's information network helped them to find out about the attack shortly before it happens. In reaction to the imminent attack, AE sends out [insert name of PS mercs], one of the best PMCs in the world, to prevent the attack from being a success.

This would make the spies look kind of evil and would show a typical "fight over money".

you mean this one :D http://community.projectstealthgame.com/forums/index.php?topic=2135.msg45631#msg45631 by me :D

-Thanks Murdy for da Sig <3  xD

feev

Quote(hint: use a sector map: first a small part is shutdown for maintenance. Then Spies hack electricity so other things are evacuated -> doors open to other sectors). Just an example.
That's actually a great idea. I approve :)

Sunshine

I really like the idea of an airport! Could create a really awesome map...

Though one problem with an airport is - ALOT of big spaces..

tigaer

A nuke went off in the country (unspecified?), so everything is being evacuated, all airports are shut down due to the country being a war-zone. That would make for debris, luggage carts, buggies, and suitcases (for blocking conveyer belts realistically) which would act as cover for players. Would be a good setting, having locked keypad doors and what not. The enemy country have taken over the airport for some reason (which would again add mobile equipment stations for cover and objectives), and the spies are getting in to obtain intel. Yeah, yeah?

frvge

Total disasters are so cliche, but it would be possible.