The Assault Rifle Discussion

Started by Farley4Fan, December 24, 2007, 10:05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

InvisibleMan999

Quote from: frvge on December 26, 2007, 09:21:15 PM
Sounds overpowered to me.

Unless taking 2 guns negatively affects both in some way. Lower ROF for uzi or more spread, less damage for the sniper or more time before you are in snipe-mode, and lower capacity for shotty.

I figure the main drawback, was that switching guns might have a slight delay to put one away and take out the other. So it's still possible to catch a rifle user off guard if you take him by surprise and he won't have time to switch to the shotty. Also the other drawback is that you have 1 less gadget, which can be pretty bad too.

As far as the overpowered, about the only thing it really does is eliminate the need for the tazer, since people will probably just take the shotty instead.

B1nArY_001

There is nothing unbalanced about a 3 weapon system. Nor is it harder to balance. If you are a spy and you are dumb enough to go toe to toe with a shotgun or an uzi then you deserve to die. In CT and PT you move faster than a merc, use your speed to stay ahead of him and use your teammate as a look out to prevent being caught unaware. Or use spy bullet if you don't have a reliable mate.

Gawain

Quote from: B1nArY_001 on December 26, 2007, 10:18:14 PM
There is nothing unbalanced about a 3 weapon system. Nor is it harder to balance.
sorry, but this is total bullshit. there are tons of implications, just like changing the SS would cause.

Farley4Fan

IT would take the same effort to balance 3 guns as it would to balance 1 gun with a shitload of accessories.  1 weapon system with 3 firing styles would be the same as 3 weapons systems with 1 firing style.

BurningDeath

Quote from: Gawain on December 27, 2007, 12:16:31 AM
Quote from: B1nArY_001 on December 26, 2007, 10:18:14 PM
There is nothing unbalanced about a 3 weapon system. Nor is it harder to balance.
sorry, but this is total bullshit. there are tons of implications, just like changing the SS would cause.
If you're so much smarter than everyone, including the devs of PS, why don't you go and make your own Mod?

Cyntrox

Quote from: Gawain on December 26, 2007, 07:00:47 PM
what i don't like is gadget guessing games. flashbangs, chaff etc can be balanced way better with a one weapon sys.
I don't think it would be a guessing game as much as a requirement to adapt, which is a good thing IMO.

InvisibleMan999

Anytime you add choices, whatever those choices may be, the game becomes harder to balance. Of course, choices also add to the game and make it more diverse.

So yeah, there's certainly something to be said for taking away people's choices. That makes it a lot easier on the design team. We could even go DA style where every merc has frags, drones, and a rifle and that's it. Of course, the same thing makes the game less diverse and interesting.  Generally the fewer choices, the less tactics and the more twitch skills come into play, as it becomes more about mastering your gear rather than making the right choices.

Spekkio

The only problem with that theory, again, is that you make your choices blind, before the match starts, and you're locked into them permanently.

Also, the game is still about mastering gear, even with more choices.

The end result is a bit of a "guessing game" when it comes to equipment. You guess right, you have an advantage. You guess wrong, well, you're fucked.

I mean, let's imagine for a second that sticky cams weren't as advantageous, so they aren't taken by 99% of players anymore. Someone who takes flash/chaff/snares/HB would render your gasmask absolutely useless, and you have no way of knowing before hand.

Farley4Fan

Well, honestly that's too bad for the merc.  No way around that really.  But hey, atleast it can still protect you from fire extinguisher dust.  ;D  So it's not "useless".

ray mysertio

thisis pretty funny , you guys shredding reality to bits for the love of what you think splinter cell is .

its already been decided but they let you spam on here to attract attention lol . and im the bad one
Tell ppl to fuck off over the net, just expect them to want to fight you until they can.

Gawain

it's hard enough to balance one weapon properly. don't forget that weapon balance also affects map balance/design and the other gadgets usefullness.
some math: you have 6 (!) different weapon combinations considering that there are two players in one team (way more with tazer). there are 70 different gadget loadout possibilities with 4 out of 8, and an insane amount of combinations within a team.
just imagine the gameplay variety with a balanced tazer, burst firing mode, camo, flash, ph. nades etc
you also have to understand that this is a stealth game where there are already tons of guessing games inside. there have to be certain consistent mechanics/rules in a game that you can count on. too much possibilities isn't always good for the gameplay.

Hybrid Circle

All this seems so complicated. I didn't play much Chaos Theory Because I began playing Splinter Cell games late (started at SCDA) But when I DID start it. I got my ass handed to me because everybody knew every nook and cranny of the game. So it made people reluctant to play again. I Own at SCDA but I just want more out of a stealth game now that i've seen a decent one unlike SOMEBODY's Online component (Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistance).

So that said, I'm more used to the Assault rifle/ Sniper/ Flashlight combo. But if you guys have something better in mind, i'm down to try it. But some things are best kept simple and unchanged (with the exception of tweaks for balance and feel)

Gawain

the rifle worked fine in pt, da and even in ct...

B1nArY_001

The weapon you choose should be based more on the map not on the other team's equip. If it is a map where the spy is forced to use relatively narrow hallways and come into close proximity of a merc then the shotgun is an excellent choice. If it is a fairly open map but the rooms aren't to big then the uzi is a good choice because the spy can't distance it enough. If the map has big long open rooms then the rifle is a good choice because it lets you snipe. This discussion is about weapons so examples involving other equipment have no real bearing here. Your weapon choice has virtually nothing to do with equipment, only the environment.

EDIT: I should also add that your partner's weapon choice can have a big impact here as well. If the map has areas good for a long range weapon mixed with areas good for close range weapons then you should coordinate with your partner and whoever is better at sniping take the rifle and guard the more open areas while the other players can take a close range weapon and guard the tighter areas.

A good example from CT would be the Orphanage first floor. A shotgun is highly effective around the Storage and Laundry while the other player can snipe the hallways and stay in close proximity to Canteen. A few well placed mines and moving the tin cans to locations where the spy can't pass without making noise gives ample time for the rifle user to retreat into the Canteen.

BurningDeath

Quote from: B1nArY_001 on December 27, 2007, 07:03:15 PM
The weapon you choose should be based more on the map not on the other team's equip. If it is a map where the spy is forced to use relatively narrow hallways and come into close proximity of a merc then the shotgun is an excellent choice. If it is a fairly open map but the rooms aren't to big then the uzi is a good choice because the spy can't distance it enough. If the map has big long open rooms then the rifle is a good choice because it lets you snipe. This discussion is about weapons so examples involving other equipment have no real bearing here, I.E. gas mask and cameras.
Or tazer.