Amnesia: The Dark Descent (Buy it, or else!)

Started by MulleDK19, September 07, 2010, 11:26:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MulleDK19

Amnesia: The Dark Descent is being released tomorrow.

Frictional Games doesn't have much of a PR budget, so they rely heavily on word of mouth.

If you like horror, and you want to have the bejesus scared out of you, then this is the game for you.

Demo here: www.amnesiagame.com#demo

Preorder now and save 10%: www.amnesiagame.com#buy

(Save 20% on steam), THOUGH!: Steam version contains Windows and Mac version... Buy it from their own store and you get a non-steam Windows version, a non-steam Mac version, a non-steam Linux version, a steam Windows version and a steam Mac version.

DO IT! DO IT NOW!

Seriously, they're in great need of it:
Quote from: Thomas Grip, Frictional Games FounderThere have been several occasions when we seriously considered dropping the project. We have had to cut salaries almost in half ââ,¬â€œ and they were low to start with. Our future as a company depends on this game not flopping, so plenty of butterflies in the stomach.

If my heart ever heals, I will make sure it'll never break again.

MR.Mic

Been waiting for it since it was announced.
Preordered that shit.
[size=2]Lead Visual Effects Artist - Advanced Materials, Particles, and Post-Process Effects
Website: http://studentpages.scad.edu/~ctripp20/index.htm][/size]

CurdyMilk

monterto

Just played the demo... I liked the message saying "dont play to win etc etc" Very well presented, very spooky. You just feel super vulnerable the whole time.
http://sc2sig.com/s/us/329891-1.png[/img][/url]
Click to view my detailed stats![/url]

Tidenburg

I thought it looked pretty lame from the trailers, to be honest.

I downloaded the demo though and the thing scared the shit out of me. The water rooms scared the hell out of me, I heard the watery footsteps sneaking up on me and I freaked the shit out. Still scary even when I knew what I had to do. :D

Cronky

CAUTION: I guess this sorta turned into a Mini-Review of the game from my short time with it so far. While I don't spoil any details, it may be worth skipping over this post till you play the game yourself.

Just bought this game tonight and played it with a couple friends watching.

Very intense and atmospheric. Plus I like how the story thus far has given you just enough information to keep you wanting to know more, but never having enough to really... finalize anything.

Even with friends around it still gave tense moments constantly. Though, I guess I'm easily tensed as I'm one of those people that probably wouldn't play this kind of game alone.

So far I'm about 2 hours in, all of which consisting of cautiously crouch-walking through the game... except for one sequence which was a mad dash.

I'm liking that enemies aren't meant to be fought, in fact, I don't even know HOW you'd fight them if it were possible. Makes the whole experience that much more gripping. Unlike games that are "Scary" like Dead Space where by the end you can expect every enemy, and easily dispatch them without a second thought.

Puzzles are pretty unique. Not sure if there are "Optional" puzzles, but if so I may have to play again since I have a feeling I've missed some. Though the ones I have deduced have been gratifying in the way that they've been presented and solved. Even small bits like obtaining a note that's in a glass case. Answer's so simple, though to my knowledge I've yet to see a game actually let you DO such a thing without it being some gimmick that takes you slightly off from immersion. (By that I mean like the way Gears of War has you bash EVERY door open, or RE5 and how you kick or punch Buttons... is it really necessary? Who would REALLY do that? Just takes away that tiny bit from the whole experience)

The "Hint" system is more of a mind game than anything for me right now. It pops up little blurbs that you THINK would have something to do with the situation immediately following, but then giving you nothing pertaining to it. Example: It keeps telling me about how to "deal" with enemies then never has one pop up. I applaud the devs for giving me a nice mind-fuck every once in a while that still leaves a nice surprise.

As a last bit of things to talk about, the Sound/Music is phenomenal (In my opinion, of course). Little to no actual music, but the constant cry/moan/screech/footstep/random piano in the room playing really get's you in the mood. For those that have played Left 4 Dead. It's like the first time you played and heard the Witch. Not knowing WHERE she was, but knowing she WAS somewhere. Even more like this game if in that example you never found her. I believe the Music really makes the mood in games, and this one does well to keep with it's original idea of keeping you immersed in their world and always second guessing what's around the next corner.

END "REVIEW"

Overall, again, only two hours in but WELL worth the 20 dollars. Especially since it goes to a good cause. Hope they make some monies so they can create more things like this. Glad you made this thread also cause I would have missed out on this had you not.
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------
xFire:Cronkbot | Steam:Cronky

Farley4Fan

I am not buying it just to see what the "or else!" means.

Looks cool tho.

LoChang

I played the demo and liked it. Might buy it. We'll see.

MulleDK19

zglina

This is something like Penumbra? Looks awesome and ...this game has something...something scary. pfu pfu pfu

MulleDK19

zglina

As i said looks awesome.OK! this game will be mine!

(sry for bad english)