Main Menu

Mutators

Started by Succubus Dryad Of The Undying Comet, August 11, 2009, 10:57:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Succubus Dryad Of The Undying Comet

Will we be able to create/use them on PS?

LennardF1989

Eventually, perhaps. But not in the beginning.

Well, that's good news, I guess.

Gawain

quite frankly, the more freedom the host gets the worse. custom rules suck, period.

Quote from: Rambo on August 12, 2009, 04:52:20 PM
quite frankly, the more freedom the host gets the worse. custom rules suck, period.
You always have the option to filter out mutated servers.
For all I know, modding always helps the game out a bit.
Also, changing the rules is crucial in this kind of game since it helps keep the game alive.
You can add sounds, in-game admin menus, basically any sort of thing you can think of with a mutator. This leads to a bigger playerbase, since you won't get bored as fast as you would with a fixed game (PT/CT).

Now to the off-topic point of my post :P
The more freedom the host has the better for the game. If you don't like it, move on. << my opinion

frvge

If you allow mutators, that would make client-side hacks easier. Besides, we will probably eventually supply nice admin menus and so on.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Spark Mandriller

So you're against being able to pick what map you play on, then?

Quote from: frvge on August 13, 2009, 12:14:24 AM
If you allow mutators, that would make client-side hacks easier.
How so?
I've never seen a cheater in UT3.
Besides, won't you be able to use the same sort of anti-cheat thing UT3 has?

MR.Mic

If you allow mutators, that would make client-side hacks easier. Besides, we will probably eventually supply nice admin menus and so on.

Mutators run server-side.
[size=2]Lead Visual Effects Artist - Advanced Materials, Particles, and Post-Process Effects
Website: http://studentpages.scad.edu/~ctripp20/index.htm][/size]

LennardF1989

Quote from: MR.Mic on August 13, 2009, 10:07:24 AM

Yup, Mutators run server-side. But to make mutators possible, we need to release the scriptfiles and that adds an extra security risk and isn't something we want to happen very early.

Besides, UT3 doesn't have any anti-cheat like Punkbuster or whatever, all they did was scripting pieces of code that check if you weren't speedhacking etc.

MulleDK19

Quote from: Random Person on August 11, 2009, 10:57:30 PM
Will we be able to create/use them on PS?
No.

Quote from: LennardF1989 on August 12, 2009, 01:26:11 AM
Eventually, perhaps.
No.

If you allow mutators, that would make client-side hacks easier.
Quote from: MR.Mic on August 13, 2009, 10:07:24 AM

Quote from: Random Person on August 13, 2009, 09:03:23 AM
I've never seen a cheater in UT3.
You don't play enough.

Quote from: Random Person on August 13, 2009, 09:03:23 AM
Besides, won't you be able to use the same sort of anti-cheat thing UT3 has?
UT3 doesn't have much of an anti-cheat.

Besides, we will probably eventually supply nice admin menus and so on.

If my heart ever heals, I will make sure it'll never break again.

VaNilla

That's one of the most retarded things I have ever heard. As already mentioned those games can be filtered out and secondly giving people freedom in choice is one of the things that helps games stay fresh.

AgentX_003

Quote from: STON3COLDKILLA on August 13, 2009, 03:04:35 PM

That's one of the most retarded things I have ever heard. As already mentioned those games can be filtered out and secondly giving people freedom in choice is one of the things that helps games stay fresh.

hi5

-Thanks Murdy for da Sig <3  xD

Gawain

all it does is split up the community and create tons of servers with gay custom rules.

its the job of the devs to create the best game mode possible, not the job of a server admin.
and i definitely wouldn't call screwing with the game balance or doing crap like low grav fun servers "keeping the game fresh".

I <3 U

Quote from: Rambo on August 13, 2009, 03:40:55 PM

all it does is split up the community and create tons of servers with gay custom rules.

its the job of the devs to create the best game mode possible, not the job of a server admin.
and i definitely wouldn't call screwing with the game balance or doing crap like low grav fun servers "keeping the game fresh".

actually i used to love low-grav instagib servers on ut2k4