Main Menu

"Mini" games

Started by Spekkio, January 30, 2008, 12:02:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spekkio

This might be somewhere down the line, but my post in the reticle thread got me thinking about the "pick up and play" factor of SvM, and the fact that it's extremely difficult to just hop into a game when you've got 30 min to kill.

One solution to this, although it would probably be somewhere down the line, would be to add smaller maps with a ~5 min timelimit. The spies would have to neutralize 1-2 objectives, and they would only get 2-3 lives. The mercs would get 1-2 lives. Equipment loadout adjusted as necessary.

Thoughts?

neth

That would be temptating for aggro players. I don't know tho, if people want to see the loading screen every 5 minutes. Imagine a map similar to warehouse and think, how many times you actually managed to hack 5-8secs in the first 5min of the game. You can obviously say that ware is an example of bad map concept, but I predict the gameplay would be the same on every small map.

Perhaps other modes (if created) would be appropriate for joining&playing.

Right now I'm thinking about SvS and SMvSM (with more agile merc). These could provide fun for both sides and IMO they could replace DM, which gives fun only to one side, while playing as merc is totally crap.

Overstatement

Quote from: neth on January 30, 2008, 12:24:12 AM
I don't know tho, if people want to see the loading screen every 5 minutes.

They would if they only had ~30 minutes to play.

Spekkio

QuoteI don't know tho, if people want to see the loading screen every 5 minutes.
Put revenge on, now you only see it for 3.

And ooo, loading takes like <30 sec if your computer is up to specs.

Farley4Fan

I can see that a decent DM should be implemented.  Maybe just give spies/mercs the ability to choose all their gadgets at the spawn and give them more than 5 slots.  But you can't refill them.  Basically, you can use all gadgets once per life.  Meaning that if you use all your frags you can't go back and get more frags, but you can trade them for a new gadget.  Really, it would be a free for all where you can just do whatever you want to, and kill, so it's DM.

As for a minigame, meh.  You could make it like Assassin's Creed where you can run around in a big room until it loads all the way.  Hopefully you guys know what I mean by that.  Oh!  I found a video of it on youtube.  Quality sucks but you guys will get the point.  At the end it finally is done loading and you can tell by the sound.  Having a spy and just being able to mess around until it loads would be awesome.

Oh, here is the vid.  That is the load screen.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmRl4njXD10

Gawain

a picture of the loading map with some background info or a tip box seems better to me as messing around with the moves would get boring pretty quickly.

Farley4Fan

tip boxes always repeat the same tips and it would be more boring looking at a picture than moving a spy around

Gawain

you could easily create more than 100 different tips for this kind of game.

back on topic: maps with 5-7min time limit and auto-rev combined with a quickmatch function could work out pretty well.

Xris

what about if it was a dif mini game all together
like tetris or w/e just in the lobby and who ever is in the lobby at the time competes, or a disk hunt sorta of game could be cool , where everyone gets to be spy and u have to be the spy thats collects the most disk, so basiclly u are just running around the map as fast as you can, disks can also be hidden in vents etc

EDIT: during the disk hunt if someone joins they jump into the action right away until, while in this mode you can still change your equip, team etc using a menu system (esc key maybe) then once everyone is ready the game actually starts.  i've seen tournement modes like this b4, where everyone joins the map, then when everyone marks ready it resets the stats and the players respawn and loads the game type.

EDIT2: im just thinking of things during lunch lol ::) anyways a sort of map rotation would be nice too, loads the next map while you are looking at previous stats, if someone leaves it loads the disk game instead
if(players.Count() < 4)
startDiskHunt();
else
loadNextMap();

Spekkio

*sigh*...

I think titling this thread "mini games" got you guys thinking about something entirely different without even reading my post.

I'm not talking about DM, and I'm not talking about pong. I'm talking about making smaller maps designed for shorter games in STORY mode.

seefoo.

great now you got them excited playing checkers in SvM!  :P

Xris

ok sorry, yes some smaller maps would be good, 1v1 would be fun again

Farley4Fan

Oh!  I've got a good idea.  How about when you are spectating you play as a ghost spy.  You can't do anything to the players that are actually in the game but you can walk around the map and see them doing stuff.  You can however, climb on boxes, vents, fences etc...

neth

that would be pure fun :>

Gawain

Quote from: Papa Skull on January 30, 2008, 08:10:14 PM
Oh!  I've got a good idea.  How about when you are spectating you play as a ghost spy.  You can't do anything to the players that are actually in the game but you can walk around the map and see them doing stuff.  You can however, climb on boxes, vents, fences etc...
Quote from: neth on January 30, 2008, 08:39:27 PM
that would be pure fun :>
sorry but how --silly-- is a player that considers this fun? oO