No more windows for me.

Started by Succubus Dryad Of The Undying Comet, July 19, 2010, 05:24:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Succubus Dryad Of The Undying Comet

I managed to get Photoshop CS running under wine.
Until PS is released, I stick with Linux. Unless Epic decides to support free software, in which case I'll gladly bid windows farewell.

Also: ext3 fukken rules.

tigaer

I thought this was a thread about how your house would not have windows anymore, meaning you most likely had have been sentenced to life in prison.

Then I was like;

Tidenburg

More linux users I find are just trying to be non-conformist. ;P

OSX is shit and uncomfortable to use - actually interfacing and manipulating windows on it is a complete abortion, and yes, I own a mac. Windows 7 is user-friendly and has only crashed on me the time I fried my graphic's card.

I'm not afraid to say I like something just because a big monolithic company makes it. Windows' features make me warm and fuzzy inside, especially the max/min via dragging your windows to the top and bottom. ^_^

I LOVE WINDOWS. THERE I SAID IT.

AgentX_003

Quote from: Tidenburg on July 19, 2010, 07:02:51 AM

OSX is shit and uncomfortable to use - actually interfacing and manipulating windows on it is a complete abortion, and yes, I own a mac. Windows 7 is user-friendly and has only crashed on me the time I fried my graphic's card.

I'm not afraid to say I like something just because a big monolithic company makes it. Windows' features make me warm and fuzzy inside, especially the max/min via dragging your windows to the top and bottom. ^_^

that reminds me, So  code to the presidential office is 3490 ,  dont say it so loud , so what 3490  , 3490 !
THERE I SAID THE CODE el stupido !

-Thanks Murdy for da Sig <3  xD

comicsserg

Quote from: Tidenburg on July 19, 2010, 07:02:51 AM

Big noob talk  :D, Windows 7 is not much better than VISTA. And linux has even more feautures than windows (but windows steal it every time from linux). I don't know your knowledge about OS's and PC's but if you had a lot of it you would know that Windows isn't so good as you say.

I use windows only for playing games, and for the rest Linux. 70% people just afraid of the PC and don't use even 5% of OS capabilities, so they stick to windows because the don't even know about other stuff.

If windows didn't steal the idea from MAC, everybody now used MAC or Linux.

VISTA & windows7 are almost the worst OS's today, everything about it is bad: slow, super high sys req, unfriendly etc
If you know what benchmark is read this:
http://www.tuxradar.com/content/benchmarked-ubuntu-vs-vista-vs-windows-7?page=2

Tidenburg

Thing is, you judge by speed. Most normal users couldn't give a crap about that as long as it's not seriously detrimental. Programs I run: Steam, Hammer, Adobe CS, MSVisStudio, Chrome, Messengers, OpenOffice. I rarely use linux but I already know that a lot of those aren't even available. But in terms of Windows/Mac, I never use the pc and find myself thinking "oh I wish I could do X function easier" and speed really is not an issue on the machine I'm running. I'm talking about interface, not speed and other bells and whistles I couldn't care less about.

I find windows far more simple to use - like I said, with window manipulation (No actual maximise is kinda lame on macs) and I don't like all my toolbars floating around separately. Windows does windows best, it doesn't hinder me in doing what I want and that's all I ask.

Again, my point stands. I love Windows.

I only ever use linux to recover files from a HDD if the main boot fails.

:Edit:
I realise that to someone who obviously really cares / is versed on OS's I probably sound like a tard basic user but I'm actually not. I've justnever heard anyone tell me straightout what I'd find good about using linux over my windows OS (which does what I need so well).

As a person who creates software FOR windows, uses shit like Source SDK, plays games, chats and browses, tell me why I'd ever possibly want to transfer to Linux. >_>

comicsserg

Quote from: Tidenburg on July 19, 2010, 10:21:07 AM
Thing is, you judge by speed. Most normal users couldn't give a crap about that as long as it's not seriously detrimental. Programs I run: Steam, Hammer, Adobe CS, MSVisStudio, Chrome, Messengers, OpenOffice. I rarely use linux but I already know that a lot of those aren't even available. But in terms of Windows/Mac, I never use the pc and find myself thinking "oh I wish I could do X function easier" and speed really is not an issue on the machine I'm running. I'm talking about interface, not speed and other bells and whistles I couldn't care less about.

I find windows far more simple to use - like I said, with window manipulation (No actual maximise is kinda lame on macs) and I don't like all my toolbars floating around separately. Windows does windows best, it doesn't hinder me in doing what I want and that's all I ask.

Again, my point stands. I love Windows.

I only ever use linux to recover files from a HDD if the main boot fails.

:Edit:
I realise that to someone who obviously really cares / is versed on OS's I probably sound like a tard basic user but I'm actually not. I've justnever heard anyone tell me straightout what I'd find good about using linux over my windows OS (which does what I need so well).

As a person who creates software FOR windows, uses shit like Source SDK, plays games, chats and browses, tell me why I'd ever possibly want to transfer to Linux. >_>
I understand your point. It isn't my intention to tell you or anybody what to use ;) decision is yours my friend ;) However I was amazed that you wrote that windows has some features that linux or mac don't have and that windows is better or more userfriendly than windows, I can't agree with that. Personally I find mac too commercial but its OS is very great.
I'm sure that there are a lot of free software like for chat or browse or programming (i do a lot of programming myself too) aMSN is identical to windows MSN for example.
It's always funny to me that some people (i don't speak about you) try explain to me that windows better than linux or mac, but they don't even know some basic stuff about OS or programming etc. And they say "yea, you can throw a window in win7 and it will snap or maximize or stuff like that...". They only care about the visual interface  :D what's really stupid.

Farley4Fan

I don't like how Mac locks you in their own little world.

Tidenburg

Only caring about the visual interface is really the only stuff a normal user can explain about an OS. It's also the stuff that affects how I use it. I'm not saying that the mouse manipulations they added to 7 are hard to make and that's why they're good, they're good because it's just that little bit nicer to use and now whenever I use any other OS I instinctively find myself ramming my window into the top of the screen to get it to maximise. :P

Like I said, I only care about if it can run my programs well, it does. I don't care how it does it and no other OS's offer anything better in respect to what I do (bar macs for Adobe CS, but as I said, I dislike several things about the ui).

comicsserg

Quote from: Farley4Fan on July 19, 2010, 11:07:00 AM
I don't like how Mac locks you in their own little world.
yea mac is a bit too commercial  :D

Well, I'm running Openbox with lxpanel. Pretty good setup imo, lxpanel takes just a bit of space (1550x20), and I've got this awesome right-click menu + countless keyboard shortcuts to all my apps.
It's a Ubuntu 9.10 box modified enought to call it a modified crunchbang. Awesome.
And it just works.

What's your setup, comicsserg?

comicsserg

I have now dual-boot ubuntu 10.04 and windows XP
I use emerald theme manager(compiz) so it's really stylish :)
I think i'll try lxpanel it seems to be great ;)

Haha, I've tried 10.04. It was great but didn't support my soundcard well at the time. I think I'll upgrade when 11.04 comes out.

monterto

Macs are great if you want to dish out 2.5K for a C2D system.

PLEASE don't call windows platforms a "PC" it's the silliest thing in the world. Last time I checked apple platforms were still computers.

I also discovered ubuntu last month. Feels good man. Got a live USB with it and plan on dual booting it once I set my new HDD.
http://sc2sig.com/s/us/329891-1.png[/img][/url]
Click to view my detailed stats![/url]

MulleDK19

Quote from: comicsserg on July 19, 2010, 09:54:02 AMWindows 7 is not much better than VISTA.

What the... Bull-freaking-horse-shit... Windows 7 is WAY better than Vista.

If my heart ever heals, I will make sure it'll never break again.