Tick Tock (neckbreak, ledge climbing, wallpaper)

Started by frvge, July 17, 2009, 03:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AgentX_003

-Thanks Murdy for da Sig <3  xD

Westfall

feev

great video, lookin really good. I remember placing GE`s in a map for hours..

Succubus Dryad Of The Undying Comet

Nice. The jump animation needs fixing, and the ledge hanging animation looks a wee bit weird.
Also, does automatic ledge detection work on ledges that aren't exactly horizontal?
And what about tilted surfaces? Would you be able to grab the ledge of that closet if it was tilted to be standing against the wall?
Also, the hang-from-the-(almost)-ceiling thing was awesome.

frvge

Currently you're able to hang from the stairs which are like / . That will probably get fixed.
CT's jump doesn't look that different from ours. Most jumping in games is a bit weird on some level.

For player-control reasons, we have to compromise. Else you get CT-stuff like 'better' animations that are unable to be properly blended with sudden changes (= player-control). Then you get stuff like the auto-roll and auto-jump. And we don't want that ;). So there's a technical reason behind some of the choices.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Oh alright.

You didn't answer that, maybe because the question was weirdly written.

frvge

I don't know. I think it's a 'no', but I gotta ask Mulle who programmed it for that.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Tidenburg

MULLE HAS SWINE FLU!

The hang pose is really nice, looks like he's actually supporting himself against the wall with his legs but when he moves it doesn't look like there's any strain on his arms. The game's shaping up really nicely, I laughed at his gasps at how nice the map looks when he turned lighting on.  ;D

Gawain

Quote from: Random Person on July 22, 2009, 01:28:45 PM
Oh alright.

You didn't answer that, maybe because the question was weirdly written.
he should be able to hang there if it's too steep to crouch up imo.

frvge

Legs aren't context-sensitive ragdolls. So only vertical hanging I think.

Quote from: frvge on July 22, 2009, 07:05:51 PM
Legs aren't context-sensitive ragdolls.
They should be. Ours are.
I don't blame you though. It's only human to have legs. ::)

[23:06] Philip: http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/8279/ledge.jpg
[23:06] Philip: Hi by the way.
[23:06] MulleDK19: No, he won't.
[23:07] Philip: Alright, thanks alot.

goodkebab

the reason is this:

To hang on any kind of angled ledge requires IK  (inverse kinematics).  The engine only supports   Hand and Foot IK (only the hands and feet can adapt to the angles of terrain)

For this to work for the entire body,  would require Full Body IK which the engine does not support.

This is NOT in any way related to ragdoll.

Tidenburg

I don't think anyone actually wanted that anyway. He's just being difficult. :D