Project Stealth Mine

Started by B1nArY_001, November 09, 2007, 05:51:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

B1nArY_001

It's a mine. You SHOULD have to work a little to find them if they are cleverly hidden. Or I guess we could just make them show up on radar and call it day.  :D

It has always been my understanding that mines are supposed to surprise someone. Having a beeping sound and glowing blue lights (I just photoshopped that glow without any real concern for the color, I fixed it check the OP) is making it pretty obvious as far as I'm concerned. But if they turn out to be to hard to locate then we will make them blink. Nothing to worry about.

Farley4Fan

Alright good, it probably won't be as bad as I made it sound anyways.

AgentX_003

Quote from: Papa Skull on November 10, 2007, 06:53:34 AM
Alright good, it probably won't be as bad as I made it sound anyways.

ugh =/

-Thanks Murdy for da Sig <3  xD

Westfall

Farley4Fan

yeah, did my one other post getting taken back annoy you to the point where you "ugh"ed? lol  :D

Gawain

well, you would get more kills with mines without soundloss/bug placement etc if chaff didn't work through walls.
if mines don't make a sound and blink (proxy sound is more important than blinking), they slow down a careful spy all the time instead of only in the places they actually are.
the blinking has also the function to show that the mine is activated.

Spekkio

Mines are meant to catch people by surprise if they aren't careful. As such, they should blink/give off sound because if you are careful they need to be detectable. Perhaps you could soften/lower the sound, but it should still be there.

Gawain

the sound is really important, it has a huge effect on gameplay.

Test-Subject

Wow they are AMAZING... just amazing...

Good job!!!

LennardF1989

Quote from: Gawain on November 09, 2007, 01:35:03 PM
btw, what about the possibility to place mines on the floor and in an adjustable angle?

Like said, keep faith.

Succubus Dryad Of The Undying Comet

... how to make changing angles possible?
like a pop-up so you select an angle or like your view gors to the mine perspective and you can aim where the laser goes?

B1nArY_001

Placing mines on the floor is one thing, adjusting the angle of the laser could potentially cause some serious issues. This would make it impossible for the mapper to adjust the angle of an object preventing an impassible mine from being placed.

Even with the limited blast radius you can use the laser as a chain detonator for a second mine close enough to kill someone trying to enter an area. Sure it might take two mines but that's one room a Merc now doesn't really have to worry about. Not much of a price for cutting a hack off completely. Even with a non-adjustable laser this is still possible to do, an adjustable laser would just provide more opportunities for this type of lameness.

Also, proxies already provide an omni-directional trigger.

Spekkio

Vertical laser/poison mines would be cool (although I can't think of much use for the former). Beyond that, I don't really know what people mean by "omnidirectional." In the end, the laser has to go straight, and the surface is going to be flat ...

Test-Subject

I'm a 100% in agreement with B1nArY...

but I like the idea of a angled mine, my idea would be a trap involving 2 devices. The laser or the trip wire would go from one to the other, in this way the merc can choose the angle but cannot create impassable traps since the removal of one of the device would deactivate it. I think that the devices cannot be exploding mines since like B1nArY said merc could creat 2 or 3 mines systems. So I'm thinking of trip wire (or it could be a poison mine but I realy like the idea of a trip wire). The trip wire would limite(physicly) the max range between the 2 device and would act as a tazer (went you trip it, you get tazer and the device is "broken").

AgentX_003

Im glad you said this test because ok.. soo what your saying is when the spy trips the laser it sends an electrical shock to the spy ? ..  well that just gave me a spin off of an idea.. how about a device if the spy trips it sends an electrical shock to the spys body knocking him out temporarily , at the same time the device
tags the spy when he wakes up , soo its a element of suprise that the spy didn't know what hit him , thus the merc can track him , eliminating the usage to take a tazer or spytraps / combine into one device :D

P.S  this is my last post considering I love my post count! :D

-Thanks Murdy for da Sig <3  xD