Main Menu

Vaulting

Started by monterto, June 17, 2010, 11:06:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawain

if i remember correctly, it looked like you stopped in front of the rail before jumping. but i'm confident we got better animation blending than ct =)

goodkebab

yes,  because you had to hit the wall,  and then jump before it would vault.   Otherwise it would have to be auto,  and you know how everyone hates auto movement with spies.

tigaer

Quote from: goodkebab on June 19, 2010, 08:43:10 PM
yes,  because you had to hit the wall,  and then jump before it would vault.   Otherwise it would have to be auto,  and you know how everyone hates auto movement with spies.

I'm pretty sure not one person dislikes the escape moves from DA, and those are auto movement.

comicsserg

well it's not auto because you still need to press the button at the right time

tigaer

I agree. Auto movement would be like Assassins Creed.

Gawain

this thread is going nowhere...

monterto

Quote from: Rambo on June 20, 2010, 03:37:04 AM
this thread is going nowhere...
that's what she said
http://sc2sig.com/s/us/329891-1.png[/img][/url]
Click to view my detailed stats![/url]

tigaer

Farley4Fan

I entered the thread to say that we should let the thread die.  But, by doing so, I've unsuccessfully let it die.  So now I don't know what I'm doing here. 

halp

LennardF1989

Quote from: goodkebab on June 19, 2010, 08:43:10 PM
yes,  because you had to hit the wall,  and then jump before it would vault.   Otherwise it would have to be auto,  and you know how everyone hates auto movement with spies.
There is a difference between auto-movement and smooth movement.

Take Batman: Arkham Asylum for an example. If you hold down the Spacebar (Interaction/Jump) you will jump over gaps and go into vaults in one solid movement. Rather than having to repeatedly press the Spacebar to do it (which is also possible for your information). Comparable to the behavior in Assassins Creed, it will try to smoothly get its way across an obstacle if you hold down the Spacebar.

So, in our case: In order to smoothly "vault" over a ledge or low obstacle, holding down the Spacebar (or whatever key you specify) could be a solution rather than having to press Spacebar at the right time, which is the currently case for all environmental events. If you've played one or both of the games above, you'll know it gives a certain sensation that you are in control and not the game, as all you have to do is hold down the Spacebar, while focusing on what is important: moving around (rather than the scenario: "OMG! A vault! I have to get into there, now I have to double tab the spacebar otherwise I'll run into the wall instead!").

Fluid movement is the key to success!

Blurzz

I think the way Conviction went about it's movement was a good, fluid way of doing it. You had plenty of control and enough of a "heads up" to achieve whatever movement you desired. I don't know how it would work in a SCCT Versus version but I think it would be something to look in to.

LennardF1989

Conviction is not comparable in smoothness to Assassins Creed and Batman, I've had numerous of times I wasn't looking at my "point I want to move to" the way the game liked it and I jumped onto the wrong thing, fell down, or even killed someone while I didn't want it. Judging by that: Making it like Conviction will be as worse as auto-movement.

Succubus Dryad Of The Undying Comet

-- nope, this is not Off-Topic --

Oww cmon.
I don't see anything constructive in this thread, as I suppose you've already discussed it, because the animation has to be prepared differently depending on the approach taken.

Thereore: penis.

Gawain

ct's animations were quite ok gameplay-wise except for the long ones which you couldn't abort.

Cronky

Quote from: Rambo on June 21, 2010, 11:44:31 PM
ct's animations were quite ok gameplay-wise except for the long ones which you couldn't abort.

I think this is quite true.

CT's animations, and how they were implemented were fine. The only thing I think needed a little work was...

-When jumping (Vaulting!) over a hand rail, make a way that you can do a quick turn and hold onto it instead of just jumping off. (Perhaps it's the difference between holding Space over a hand rail, and Just tapping)

-CT had some times when it just would NOT register a grab spot on a wall or something similar. To which you just jump at an area for a little bit looking stupid, then move an inch over and figure out it works now. Tightening that up seems like it would be nice.

That's about all I can think of, but other than that... not much else to say.
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------
xFire:Cronkbot | Steam:Cronky