Visual feedback on HUD

Started by Ruro, June 21, 2010, 10:06:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Mandriller

Quote from: Ruro on June 24, 2010, 07:13:34 PM
And for the record i played CT, but whatever man just call me a noob because you are uber-pro, and i have an opinion. And if i sit in a totally dark corner and got shot without any damn vision turned on or even any light source pointing at me then that means that im not in darkness even if i see it that way...

But if you were in total darkness like you said then the indicator would have claimed you were in the dark. And you still would have gotten shot.

And I'm not actually calling you a noob, I'm calling you someone who's never played the game before. Even a noob would realise that the crosshair changes colour when you damage people. It's not like it's hard to notice.

Succubus Dryad Of The Undying Comet

Quote from: Volcano Eel on June 24, 2010, 11:19:39 PM
Even a noob would realise that the crosshair changes colour when you damage people. It's not like it's hard to notice.
It does that? Oh my god I didn't notice.

But yeah, having a crosshair indicator would suck from the spies perspective.
HOWEVER How about haveing an indicator for spies to know when their mate is hit?

Spekkio

@ Cronky,

No, he was specifically talking about the game telling you whether or not a player detected you:
QuoteExample: A merc points his gun at you but still didn't see you, you got no visual notification on the fact that you could be seen at that point or not (A simple white or black dot at the corner of the spy hud could just solve this or a bar just like in single player CT).

QuoteEven a noob would realise that the crosshair changes colour when you damage people. It's not like it's hard to notice.
Braiog seemed to have a lot of trouble with that concept back in the day... maybe it's him under a different name!

Ruro

Quote from: Cronky on June 24, 2010, 10:33:13 PM
Quote from: Spekkio on June 24, 2010, 10:26:40 PM
Why did this thread turn into people whining about sucking at stealth?

Bottom line: you aren't going to be able to put an automatic indicator that accurately represents whether or not a human on the other side actually notices you.

That's never been the solution since the beginning of this thread. He wanted an indicator to tell you, as a Spy, if you were in a dark spot. Like Single Player Splinter Cell.

It's a useless idea, but didn't have to do with it reading if the Merc saw you or not. That's just the cause and effect of what he believed the indicator would do for new people.

"If it says I'm hidden, then the chance that the Merc will see me is lower than if I stand somewhere where it tells me I'm NOT hidden".

That kind of thing.
Yep THATS the point. Even if its useless its still something to be appreciated. I already got that there is no way to tell that anybody actually saw you (But the game could still tell you that someone is aiming at you or not. Like some kind of a spy sense...damn just forget it...)
Quote from: Spekkio on June 25, 2010, 12:18:29 AM
QuoteEven a noob would realise that the crosshair changes colour when you damage people. It's not like it's hard to notice.
Braiog seemed to have a lot of trouble with that concept back in the day... maybe it's him under a different name!

I am WHO ?  ??? srsly dont confuse me with other ppl im just someone with a shitty idea who came here and (be damned for it) proposed that damn idea. Maybe i should suggest the implementation of a plasma gun next time. At least then i will be rdy for the flame that would come after that proposal.

Gawain

Quote from: Ruro on June 25, 2010, 01:53:35 AM
im just someone with a shitty idea who came here
you got that part right. now grow some brain (and balls).

Spekkio

QuoteYep THATS the point. Even if its useless its still something to be appreciated. I already got that there is no way to tell that anybody actually saw you (But the game could still tell you that someone is aiming at you or not. Like some kind of a spy sense...damn just forget it...)
You have a 3rd person camera and 3 gadgets that can be used for recon. It's pretty easy to know if a merc is in the area and if he's looking in your general direction.

Farley4Fan

This isn't Alan Wake where darkness protects your enemies from being shot.

Cronky

Quote from: Ruro on June 25, 2010, 01:53:35 AM
Yep THATS the point. Even if its useless its still something to be appreciated. I already got that there is no way to tell that anybody actually saw you (But the game could still tell you that someone is aiming at you or not. Like some kind of a spy sense...damn just forget it...)

I have to agree with everyone above me when I say that the idea you are proposing just kind of get's done with common sense. You can see a Merc just fine as is. No need for something to blatantly tell you that fact.

Though I understand your whole stance from this thread.

SvM has a huge learning curve. What you want (unless I'm completely wrong) is the means to lessen that. So that it's open to MORE people, but without watering down what makes the game so good.

What that means in the end is a lot of useless things, but that's only from a hardcore (as I'm deeming people on this forum) perspective. New players that want to get into the game shouldn't have to get into the game through some kind of "Trial by FIRE". Hit indicators, Shadow indicators, Awareness meters, Matchmaking, a tutorial level like CT makes you go through, all of these sounds horrible, but would indeed help the new.

(Some more illogical than others programming wise, but that's not the point)

To make these all OPTIONAL (except for those that are required, like tutorial level) would kind of alleviate this problem.

The PS Devs should be looking not only at what Ubisoft did RIGHT with CT SvM so they have a foundation to build upon. But also what they did WRONG, so they know what to avoid.

New player accommodations will have to have a serious look at if they aren't just planning to ride off Hardcore players.
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------
xFire:Cronkbot | Steam:Cronky

Spekkio

There should be an indication that I have an indicator on my screen to indicate things.

Cronky

See, now you're just being a jackass about it ;D

Take off the elitist hat for a second and pretend like you know nothing about CT or SvM in general.

The ideas that need to be made of course wouldn't have to be (some not even making sense) the ideas that are stated here. A steep learning curve for SvM is a problem EVERYONE knows is true.

I just re-read your "Fix List" post from 2007, think up some Fixes (or *Gasp* whole new ideas) that could tailor to new players now.
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------

Spekkio

QuoteSee, now you're just being a jackass about it
No u.

QuoteTake off the elitist hat for a second and pretend like you know nothing about CT or SvM in general.
Yea, that was me once upon a time. Somehow, I managed to learn how to play the game without an indication of an indicator indicating something to me.

How about you stop writing books about stupid shit, like the fact that nubs come on this forum and ask for asinine indications of shit you can find out by other means anyway. I mean, seriously, this guy asked for the crosshairs to indicate when you hit a shot when they already do that. Credibility = 0.

I would much rather the developers focus on finishing a playable game rather than building 10,000 redundant, optional indications. Sometimes, you just have to l2p.

Spark Mandriller

I think the game should indicate when other players are around, but just a visual indication wouldn't be good enough. What if someone blind plays, like Ruro? It should be a sound, instead. And having it only activate when people are looking in the right direction sounds like it could be pretty buggy, and it'd definitely be ruined by lag, so just make it activate whenever someone's near you. We should simplify things for new players by giving it to both spies and mercs, too. May as well keep things as similar as possible for both teams, right? Less team specific stuff to learn means people will pick up the game faster, after all.

Can we test this out?

Cronky

Quote from: Spekkio on June 26, 2010, 03:33:06 AM
QuoteTake off the elitist hat for a second and pretend like you know nothing about CT or SvM in general.
Yea, that was me once upon a time. Somehow, I managed to learn how to play the game without an indication of an indicator indicating something to me.

Yeah, let me bring back something you said to me in another thread...

Quote from: Spekkio on February 02, 2010, 05:43:26 AMI played CT more often than I'd like to admit from the day it was released until 3 years later. I never once saw more than 300ish players online at once, and that number was usually hit during European peak hours. American prime time (6-10pm)  usually had about 150ish and quickly dwindled down to about 80ish after 6 months (European peak times went to 180ish) where it stayed for about a year or so until it took a nose dive into can't get a good game unless it's setup on xfire territory.

I got 500 as an added estimate from the popularity of the Xbox compared to PC. Honestly, when compared to 2.5 million sales in the first quarter of release, and presumably quite a bit more past that, it really doesn't matter if you even double or triple that number. It is still orders of magnitude smaller than the amount of people who purchased the game.

Do you believe what you said is because the game was fine how it was/is? That new and old players alike were on an even playing field no matter Who ended up with Who?

Wow, I hope PS get's THAT popular... [/sarcasm]

QuoteHow about you stop writing books about stupid shit, like the fact that nubs come on this forum and ask for asinine indications of shit you can find out by other means anyway.

Not every person that plays a game is as intuitive as you. Some people actually don't like running into a game blind with the mindset of, "I'll learn it as I go". Weird concept that the game they want to potentially have fun with... they'd actually want to be able to play before they jump into the arena of competition. Where you KNOW someone like Agent (Mah bad buddy, but you know it's true) will bash the shit out of them because they don't know what they're doing.

What was being asked, and what is being proposed here are simply MEANS for new players to jump in and actually have fun. NO ideas set in stone, Indicators of ANYTHING don't have to be added, but SOMETHING should.

QuoteI mean, seriously, this guy asked for the crosshairs to indicate when you hit a shot when they already do that. Credibility = 0.

Funny how half of the people on here bitched about how a Hit Indicator would be unfair... as if it wasn't in CT at all.

QuoteI would much rather the developers focus on finishing a playable game rather than building 10,000 redundant, optional indications. Sometimes, you just have to l2p.

No one said for the devs to STOP what their doing and start on THIS. Just simply that it will have to be looked at if, again, they aren't going to just ride off the hardcore gamers out there. (Or in other words. Those 500 people across all Consoles that CT had)

@rocket

Good work riding off the response of someone else just to leave a reply that furthered... Nothing.

How many times is that now? :P
-----------------------

Spark Mandriller

i thought you liked new ideas? here i go proposing one and instead you just talk shit

how about some constructive criticism or some reasons why it's a bad idea or something cronky, where are they? i always told you why your ideas were awful. instead you just instantly reject mine, why is that? because you've got something against me personally?

mods ban cronky he's hurting my feelings

Spekkio

QuoteDo you believe what you said is because the game was fine how it was/is? That new and old players alike were on an even playing field no matter Who ended up with Who?
The game wasn't popular for a multitude of reasons. Lacking an indication that an indicator is indicating something is at the bottom of the list, if it's even on there at all.