Proof of Concept map work Set in Laos

Started by nubishdubishbone, August 25, 2010, 06:26:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nubishdubishbone

with graphics similar but updated to Pandora tomorrow... stock foliage and village assets by me:

Map is 3 zones with cross sieded objectives regardig the river, and bases willl cover objectives in a chain obj gametype (story mode).

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/3474/loas2copy.jpg

http://img90.imageshack.us/img9/8228/loas.jpg

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/683/laos4.jpg

Please leave comments on detil with the url links not the thumbs ty.

Kind of inspired by the movie Tropic Thunder but Pandora Tm. too.

[EDIT] this has sort of turned into my blog with a bunch of images that dont really look all that nice but illustrate what i am doing, though around pages 5-6 i greatly improved... i have been learning Unreal Editor since 2002, and have working knowledge of all systems in unreal engine 2.x's edit (UEd 3), so i based what i know about 2.x on 3.x and there you have it, but for many things i use http://www.hourences.com/book/tutorialsindex.htm this site to look things up, especially if it's new to me like matinee and particle systems work in UE 3.x.
Intel i5 3.2Ghz - EVGA Z77 FTW - EVGA GTX 480 - 4GB DDR3 1066MHz - Rosewill Blackhawk SuperTower Case - Antec True Power Quattro 1200W PSU - WD Caviar Black 1TB - Creative Recon3D Fatal1ty PCIe -Logitech Z508 5.1 Surround with "Dialog Plus"

LennardF1989

nubishdubishbone

thanks, expansion of all 3 areas will take a while but the meshes and textures work great for this setting, im surprised how much they left us with UDK, ambient jungle bugs and thunder, etc. Nice!
Intel i5 3.2Ghz - EVGA Z77 FTW - EVGA GTX 480 - 4GB DDR3 1066MHz - Rosewill Blackhawk SuperTower Case - Antec True Power Quattro 1200W PSU - WD Caviar Black 1TB - Creative Recon3D Fatal1ty PCIe -Logitech Z508 5.1 Surround with "Dialog Plus"

CurdyMilk

Great work!  Is this map for PS?  All of your models look pretty good too.  One potential problem is with all of the foliage on the ground.  If the spies are walking on the ground, you obviously can't have collisions with the plants because you couldn't ever walk anywhere.  But since there are so many plants, the spy will seem to be walking through them all the time.  It won't seem too realistic that way.  Idk just my opinion.  Or maybe I am wrong idk...

Shouldn't this be in the presentation forum?

DreadStunLock

I really like the mood of this map, I am so tired of really dark maps, with egyptian settings and tombs and castles and medieval crap. This one would be awesome! Just balancing light and shadows would make a map absolutely awesome
!

CurdyMilk

Quote from: DreadStunLock on August 25, 2010, 08:42:04 PM
I am so tired of really dark maps, with egyptian settings and tombs and castles and medieval crap.
Like which ones?  I can't think of hardly any...

Oh and it's Laos not Loas  ;)

MulleDK19

Quote from: CurdyMilk on August 25, 2010, 08:18:47 PMGreat work!  Is this map for PS?
Since the images are from the UDK editor, and this is the PS forum, I'd assume: Yes.

If my heart ever heals, I will make sure it'll never break again.

LennardF1989

Please note that PS will NOT pack default UDK-packages and thus its content, you, yourself, are responsible for supplying the right packages with your map if it is meant for PS.

We do this for the reason packages all link to each-other, and adding one would mean we have to include an additional 3 packages with content we will not use. We do not have the time, nor need, nor use to duplicate assets out of UDK (also for legal reasons).

I always recommend eventually replacing the UDK content with your own, in any other case, duplicate all assets you use in one separate package (like assets_<mapname>.udk) to supply with your map. Keep it to a minimum though, the more you duplicate, the larger your map becomes to download and we all know how hard it is to get people to download map-packs (especially if 3 maps alone are 1GB because of UDK).

We will probably setup a Community Wiki for all upcoming mappers.

nubishdubishbone

yes, thanks for all the comments... the foliage could later be added as InterpActors and thus have player and projectile collision on them to sway around.

this will go into 3rd party PS maps if it is of the right quality come finish time.

and yes i duplicated all assets in my map from the stock packs to my package, and only as necessary (they're so nice).

DreadStunLock

Quote from: CurdyMilk on August 25, 2010, 09:46:59 PM
Quote from: DreadStunLock on August 25, 2010, 08:42:04 PM
I am so tired of really dark maps, with egyptian settings and tombs and castles and medieval crap.
Like which ones?  I can't think of hardly any...

Oh and it's Laos not Loas  ;)

Rcomadaour, orphanage, uhhm cant think of top of my head... but some of those like that.

frvge

You'd probably want PhAT on the leaves.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Farley4Fan

I'd kind of like to hide in the bushes as a spy.  So just making them shake a little bit when the spy collides with the bush would be fine enough.  It wouldn't need to be as complex as say the foliage in Crysis or anything

If the spy stays in the bush, and then moves while in the bush, make it shake again.  It would be a cool effect to see (especially as a merc trying to find a spy moving through the bushes).  Maybe you could change the effects if the spy is in slow mode.  Maybe it wouldn't shake as hard if the spy is moving in slow mode and maybe it wouldn't ping the mercs sound reticle.

nubishdubishbone

i'll try to get a youtube uploaded of stock UDK gameplay, path through the woods basically butwill show good points and things to be worked on.

nubishdubishbone

nothing to see here, move along.

frvge

Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.