Main Menu

so wait-

Started by SpinBolt, March 12, 2007, 04:43:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daybreak

frvge

Ah. You=nooooob.  ;D I wont tell you my list of 'silly things that are plain obvious but which I understood way too late'. It'd take some time.  ::)
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

iservealot

Quote from: Overstatement on March 13, 2007, 09:08:53 PM
My point was that TCs are usually 90% replacing models and 99% of the coding is about setting settings not coding new things.

And also, let me repeat this again because people never seem to tire of hearing it, the engine people use have little effect on a team with a multi-million dollar budget and it's even more pointless to compare it with a prospect of making a mod because with engine licences you can do anything(software doesn't have limits) and mods, you can do anything they let you but no more (and they take months deciding what you can and can't do). And mod teams only have a budget of commitment and effort which is a lot harder to get than money.

If we were talking about Ubisoft releasing an editor, then we can accurately say that they strip down the development software.

Epic Games, however, releases the Editor they used. Furthermore, they modify it some to allow for easier understanding of certain things. The only thing they probably won't give you is the Engine Source code (like the c++ stuff), but they do let you compile and decompile their Unreal scripts.

Unreal 3 will be no different from Epic Games. In fact, this time around there is talk about the possibility of Epic Games allowing for good MODS for the game to be distributed and even sold over the Xbox Live marketplace and PlayStation 3 online.

Overstatement

Quote from: frvge on March 13, 2007, 10:10:31 PM
If the coding isn't possible with the TC-'license', then we can always try an open source engine.

By licenses, I meant paying a hundred thousand dollars to use the engine. Tcs are mods which are free.

Quote from: Daybreak on March 13, 2007, 11:12:10 PM
Okay. so, don't take this the wrong way cause i'm learning, but from what you are describing me I don't see how we can make this game without getting a liscence of somesort. Especially if we use the Unreal 3 engine. Simply because if we did, we would have to re-code some things such as our spies being able to climb and grapple.
As I said, i'm completely new to this whole "Game Making" business. And seeing as how we would like to use the Unreal Engine, I'm having difficulty understanding how we are acutally going to make our game to do the right stuff. As you said, with a mod we are limited. I am not sure how limited though, and my question is; are we going to run into a problem when we decide to make this game?
I'm just trying to think ahead before we do more work than needed, otherwise, it could be hopeless. I'm just trying to understand.

PS. It took me almost an hour to understand why area codes were needed. Simple things blow my mind.

I'm not saying we can or can't do it. I'm saying there is a fog of war around the engine and the only way to reveal it is to find a mod that exploits it fully. But since most mods don't do much in coding, you know, fog of war. (I thought a game reference might be eaiser you to understand.)

And I'm not talking about anything but coding. Not talking about the editor or animations or any art.

Is there a secret to area codes?

Edit:And also, we are effectively limiting our audience to a bunch of bunnyjumping UT3 players who will spend more time downloading the mod than giving it a chance.

Daybreak

So is it possible to begin experimenting with the UT4 Unreal Editor? I mean technically if we could do it there we'd be able to do it in for Unreal 3. But then why haven't other people done it already?

And by experimenting i'm not talking about the level design, i mean character animation and things like that. Maybe it's my inexperience that's making this difficult but, wouldn't it be easier to start now and then port it over to the Unreal 3?

Overstatement

Well, I'm not talking about all that stuff but there is at least one person on the team already trying to convert a CT map to UR3.