Visual feedback on HUD

Started by Ruro, June 21, 2010, 10:06:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unskilled

Quote from: Ruro on June 23, 2010, 03:39:24 PM
Quote from: Spekkio on June 23, 2010, 02:20:56 PM
Example 1: There is no way to account for the human factor in this. Some people will look right at you and not see you while others have a better eye.

Well if you are in absolute darkness in a corner and they look at you without any gadgets you should be invisible or almost invisible. If you get an indicator that shows you that you are in a dark area or you are not is really helpful in my opinion. But then again i found out that all of this is just useless, because almost every damn user will just turn the gamma to over 9000, and shoot you in the face in a dark corner...I would so love to see a lock on gamma options but then they will just turn up the gamma on their screen...

No, they should make lightings in game as are on UMP Versus maps. Gamma only lightens soft shadows that you would see the spy.

Spekkio

Example 1: There is no way to account for the human factor in this. Some people will look right at you and not see you while others have a better eye.

Well if you are in absolute darkness in a corner and they look at you without any gadgets you should be invisible or almost invisible. If you get an indicator that shows you that you are in a dark area or you are not is really helpful in my opinion. But then again i found out that all of this is just useless, because almost every damn user will just turn the gamma to over 9000, and shoot you in the face in a dark corner...I would so love to see a lock on gamma options but then they will just turn up the gamma on their screen...
Gamma/shadows has nothing to do with it. You can take the same exact image and show it to two different people for the same exact amount of time, and people might see different things. Some people naturally have a better attention to detail than others.

Spark Mandriller

If you get an indicator that shows you that you are in a dark area or you are not is really helpful in my opinion.

You get one of these in CT. It's called looking at your spy and seeing if you're in the dark or not.

Have you played CT?

comicsserg

Quote from: Volcano Eel on June 23, 2010, 10:00:58 PM
If you get an indicator that shows you that you are in a dark area or you are not is really helpful in my opinion.

You get one of these in CT. It's called looking at your spy and seeing if you're in the dark or not.

Epic answer :D  :D  :D

Farley4Fan

Quote from: Spekkio on June 23, 2010, 04:46:25 PM

Gamma/shadows has nothing to do with it. You can take the same exact image and show it to two different people for the same exact amount of time, and people might see different things. Some people naturally have a better attention to detail than others.

To go even further, when you adjust the brightness then you are adjusting the brightness of the spy and the shadows.  You can make the shadows as white as Agent's ass, but it won't be any easier to see the spy.  The spy will be just as white.

Gawain

that's not true. by boosting the gradient in the dark tones you inscrease the contrast there (loosing contrast somewhere else, of course).

CurdyMilk

Why don't people just play the natural way with natural lighting?  I have never changed the brightness because some of the fun in the game is lost.  It isn't as scary or realistic  :(

Ruro

Quote from: CurdyMilk on June 24, 2010, 04:36:30 PM
Why don't people just play the natural way with natural lighting?  I have never changed the brightness because some of the fun in the game is lost.  It isn't as scary or realistic  :(
I never changed the contrast EVER in these kind of games. Its just plain stupid, but as long as someone gets something beneficial from changing the contrast brightness or whatever they will just do it... for example they will just put the brightness to max so they dont have to use night vision goggles :P

And for the record i played CT, but whatever man just call me a noob because you are uber-pro, and i have an opinion. And if i sit in a totally dark corner and got shot without any damn vision turned on or even any light source pointing at me then that means that im not in darkness even if i see it that way...

Seems like this discussion just raised a damn flame war and didn't lead to anything. Just lock this thread and lets get over this coz there will be no common ground for this discussion it seems.

Farley4Fan

Quote from: Rambo on June 24, 2010, 03:21:37 PM
that's not true. by boosting the gradient in the dark tones you inscrease the contrast there (loosing contrast somewhere else, of course).

Not sure I follow.  Couldn't this be avoided by giving the spy the same tones as a shadow?

LennardF1989

Quote from: Ruro on June 24, 2010, 07:13:34 PM
Quote from: CurdyMilk on June 24, 2010, 04:36:30 PM
I never changed the contrast EVER in these kind of games. Its just plain stupid, but as long as someone gets something beneficial from changing the contrast brightness or whatever they will just do it... for example they will just put the brightness to max so they dont have to use night vision goggles :P
Which is not going to work if you make shadows dark enough, instead of black they will become gray, but contrast wont magically replace your NV. You simply can't get more detail out of one solid block of color (comparable to zooming in on a picture which makes it pixelated, you CANNOT get more details out of one pixel).

Ruro

Well im left without words then. If there is no possible way to see in the dark without nv even by adjusting brightness and/or contrast then i dont why so many ppl keep saying that they are doing that... must be an other method of trolling... Seems like i need to discredit almost any ppl that i meet in CT, cool. I hope that the PS community will be somewhat better. 

Cronky

Quote from: Ruro on June 24, 2010, 09:07:13 PM
Well im left without words then. If there is no possible way to see in the dark without nv even by adjusting brightness and/or contrast then i dont why so many ppl keep saying that they are doing that... must be an other method of trolling... Seems like i need to discredit almost any ppl that i meet in CT, cool. I hope that the PS community will be somewhat better. 

I understand what's going on here. I actually had to do this, but I didn't play the PC version enough to actually notice if it affected the Merc side too (Making it easier to see spies).

MY Story about it:

I have/used a pretty cheapo monitor. The darkness values are a little TOO dark, but changing the brightness and contrast of the actual monitor only helped SO much. Never could I get it to a perfect ratio of each in which normal monitors have default. (My new monitor is just fine)

Going into CT I found that playing as spy was near impossible... unless I wanted to do so with NV on 100% of the time (Which doesn't seem WRONG, but not what I wanted to do). Everything was FAR too dark. Barely being able to see my spy, but my monitor being as good as it was going to get when it comes to brightness/contrast. The next option was the games settings.

Either I put the brightness up to the top, or the game's brightness was topped out default... I'm not sure, but when it was all said and done the game was BETTER, but I could see more improvement if I could have it even brighter. The game being maxed out I went and Edited the .ini file. I put the brightness up to around 1.5-2.0 (Over the max the game itself lets you).

Coming back into the game I found that when playing spy now, nothing was REALLY dark. NV was almost useless because while the game still had dark(er) VALUES, the environment was easily see-able.

With Merc... I have no example because I was already pretty messed up with having an 8800GTX and it's inability to render Merc stush properly.
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------
xFire:Cronkbot | Steam:Cronky

Spekkio

Why did this thread turn into people whining about sucking at stealth?

Bottom line: you aren't going to be able to put an automatic indicator that accurately represents whether or not a human on the other side actually notices you.

Cronky

Quote from: Spekkio on June 24, 2010, 10:26:40 PM
Why did this thread turn into people whining about sucking at stealth?

Bottom line: you aren't going to be able to put an automatic indicator that accurately represents whether or not a human on the other side actually notices you.

That's never been the solution since the beginning of this thread. He wanted an indicator to tell you, as a Spy, if you were in a dark spot. Like Single Player Splinter Cell.

It's a useless idea, but didn't have to do with it reading if the Merc saw you or not. That's just the cause and effect of what he believed the indicator would do for new people.

"If it says I'm hidden, then the chance that the Merc will see me is lower than if I stand somewhere where it tells me I'm NOT hidden".

That kind of thing.
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------
xFire:Cronkbot | Steam:Cronky