Kickstarter/Indiegogo/etc.

Started by Cronky, April 24, 2013, 06:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cronky

Has it popped into anyone's head that PS probably wouldn't have done too bad on Kickstarter, Indiegogo or other like crowd funding sites, if they were a thing back when this first began?

The thought just came to me and almost made me a little sad. :P
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------
xFire:Cronkbot | Steam:Cronky

NeoSuperior

I don't know if that changed yet, but as far as I know you need to be a UK or US citizen to start a kickstarter project.
If there are any orthographic/grammatical errors in this post, you can keep them and, if you want, hang them over your bed ;)

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."
- Mike Godwin

Cronky

Well assuming it was possible from whatever crowd funding site that allowed that, is what I meant. With the hype surrounding Versus mode back then it probably would have fared pretty well. Now a days it seems like it would do marginally less so... Considering it's been a while since a proper Versus (splinter cell style) game came out to compare it to.
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------

NeoSuperior

well on steam greenlight it is quite popular though... at least in the "concept section".
If there are any orthographic/grammatical errors in this post, you can keep them and, if you want, hang them over your bed ;)

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."
- Mike Godwin

Cronky

I like a lot of things until it starts costing me money. ;)

It just seems like a lot of the hype that surrounds Kickstarter projects when concerning video games happens when there is a apparent, and relevant, lack of what is proposed. Take the Double Fine Adventure Kickstarter, for example. There is an apparent lack of Adventure games now a days because it "doesn't sell" according the big companies. While companies like Telltale games ride on that wave of misconception, a Kickstarter featuring an Adventure game has hype by genre alone.

For PS it would seem like the appropriate time for it to be brought up would have been after Double Agent. Perhaps again after Blacklist, considering it's said that Versus will be back.

The point being that it seems the main reason progress is so slow is because PS is somewhat of a "Hobby" project, meaning nobody is getting paid to make it. Seeing crowd funding as it is today makes me a little sad that PS would likely not do so well because it's lack of real relevance or desire, albeit with a good concept. Had that option of been available way back when this idea was first birthed, it would probably have had a significant amount of followers (compared to now).
-----------------------

frvge

We are always looking at all possibilities. I backed a few things myself on Kickstarter and sometimes read stuff about other platforms so I know of their existence. If we're going to do this, we'll have to see what the best timing is.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.