community funding example to follow

Started by Roberto1223, October 28, 2013, 03:32:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roberto1223

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/about-the-game

May be a good way of raising funds to develop a game. Offering some sort of like exclusive content or something?

NeoSuperior

Anything beside "early beta access" or "exclusive skin" would either splitt the player base (exclusive maps) or would imbalance the game (exclusive skills/weapons/gadgets).
If there are any orthographic/grammatical errors in this post, you can keep them and, if you want, hang them over your bed ;)

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."
- Mike Godwin

dYnAm1c

The best way would be a kickstarter campaign and give out extras to funders that are not gameplay changing like weapon skins / different suits or forum/ingame badges etc.

NeoSuperior

Quote from: dYnAm1c on October 29, 2013, 08:58:48 PM
The best way would be a kickstarter campaign and give out extras to funders that are not gameplay changing like weapon skins / different suits or forum/ingame badges etc.

Impossible right now because frvge is neither from UK nor from USA.
If there are any orthographic/grammatical errors in this post, you can keep them and, if you want, hang them over your bed ;)

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."
- Mike Godwin

frvge

Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Roberto1223

Quote from: Meister_Neo on October 29, 2013, 11:04:13 PM

WTF are you talking about man. You can be from any country it doesn't matter.

Game imbalance or not what the fuck ever man. STFU with bullshit side tracks.

The point is that crowdfunding is the way to go right now and Project Stealth should look into following this path!

Another great example of crowdfunding success http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80HsW4HmUes

I am just trying to be a bit motivational here. so stfu with game imbalancing issues man seriously.

dYnAm1c

Me and many others wont play a game that got imbalanced by some shitty cowdfunding extra shit, people wont make an exception for PS.
If its imbalanced I won't play it.

frvge

We don't plan on having perks that change gameplay.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Roberto1223

Crowd funding has nothing to do with game imbalance and when I said extras I didn't mean to imply that. That was all you jumping into shitty conclusions. If you guys had actually clicked on the god damn link I posted and read a bit about the new game called "Star Citizen" you would see that this guy leading "Roberts Space Industries" (RSI) has received TONS of money without even imbalancing his game.

Of course it IS a very different kind of game in which a lot of content can be created as RSI  receives more funds, but this game (PS) will always have room for improvements anyway, but whatever, this was a post I made so that the devs of this game see it anyway. It is up to them in the end.

NeoSuperior

Quote from: Roberto1223 on November 08, 2013, 07:33:38 AM
Quote from: Meister_Neo on October 29, 2013, 11:04:13 PM

WTF are you talking about man. You can be from any country it doesn't matter.

This is from Kickstarter:

Where is Kickstarter available?

Anyone, anywhere can pledge to a project with a major credit or debit card. Anyone in the US, UK, or Canada can start a project, and New Zealand and Australia are on the way!

source: http://www.kickstarter.com/start?ref=nav

But hey, we could ask AgentX or someone else to create the project instead!
Just sayin'....

Oh and before I forget to mention it: Should the only way to fund the project be credit cards, then PS won't even get a cent from me. PayPal ftw.

- Mike Godwin

frvge

Paypal is the worst company when it comes to transfers IMO.

tigaer

NeoSuperior

It got a lot of bad sides indeed (there have been some bugs with PayPal, luckily none that made me lose any money... yet), however I still prefer it over credit cards.

- Mike Godwin

nubishdubishbone

I vote "Early Access on Steam"... Assetto Corsa is "My Racing Simulator" by kunos simulazioni, and it got patched nicely, with multiple cars and tracks, replacing a track with a vintage verion(which 'm disappointed about), but the fact they upgraded card and tracks is a big step, the quality is top notch now, oh i forgot, they addded 8x FXAA instead of just 4X that was brroekn, all fixed now and i ride around Imola in Italy iin my Pagani Zonda R, still dropping into 1st gear to make a 135 degree turn and slamming it into 2nd to spin and countering oversteer with throttle management and revese steering(opposite direction of turn) to make my hotlaps just a little faster.

Whew, enough about Asetto Corsa, "Early Acess" Game is the way to go, with patches and Greenlight to get you noticed....
Intel i5 3.2Ghz - EVGA Z77 FTW - EVGA GTX 480 - 4GB DDR3 1066MHz - Rosewill Blackhawk SuperTower Case - Antec True Power Quattro 1200W PSU - WD Caviar Black 1TB - Creative Recon3D Fatal1ty PCIe -Logitech Z508 5.1 Surround with "Dialog Plus"

Aj

Paypal is a PITA with transfers.  Which is why I use my PP debit card to take money out of it and then put it in my bank account.

I avoid ATM fees by getting a $.14 banana and $100 cash back :P