sticky camera idea

Started by tigaer, January 17, 2007, 09:35:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

goodkebab

I find that a sniper is more dangerous then shotty for several reasons.  Shotty is only effective on specific maps,  it cannot shoot out alarm snares or spy bullets...even has difficulty with the bomb.

Because rifle does double damage in snipe mode,  2x body shots at long range is fatal, scope+emf through cielings, and merc can charge at close ranges anyways.....gives it more advantages over shotty.

The only real advantage of shotty is that you dont have to charge/beserk at close range.  One shot kills at close range is no different then getting charged or tazed by a merc with rifle.  To be effective with shotty requires aiming for the head and indeed requires skill to get a high ratio of kills. The other advantage is that you can usually squeeze a fatal shot off when a spy punches you or get quick cammed at close quarters.  Dont forget,  shotty forces merc to chase the spies....otherwise spy can taze merc and get easily out of range.

Shotty can stay the same.

Gawain

I think the weapons in scct are well balanced; if anything the sniper is too strong (I hate situations like clubhouse garden where the critical point is whether the merc gets a faster headshot coming around a corner or the spy shocking him before that; reduces the game depth to fps...). Maybe it should not do double damage when in sniping mode, make more imprecise movements when in motion (it only bounces when you give it the time to do so eg not moving it), but a little bit more damage when not.
Maybe giving the merc a gadget that makes him resistant to tazer for say 1 second?
And for all the n00bs out there: uzi is NOT overpowered, the only problem is the lagg which won't be there in ps  ;D
Another crucial point is the time window between getting quick cammed and sleeping. Imo it should be a little bit bigger so quick cams can't be used as a toal aggro strat any more (besides giving an extra filter for the gas mask in the bp).

goodkebab

its not really lag from UZI,  what happens is the spy has an animation when getting hit by bullets.  Because of the number bullets from uzi,  you get a feeling that you cannot control the spy because of the hit animation.

Gawain

that's not what i mean by lagg. some people with older computers seem to have problems with uzi on the server, but i have no idea what's happening exactly...

LiVe.To.Di3

Quote from: goodkebab on April 13, 2007, 10:02:54 PM
its not really lag from UZI,  what happens is the spy has an animation when getting hit by bullets.  Because of the number bullets from uzi,  you get a feeling that you cannot control the spy because of the hit animation.
:o

goodkebab

on top of that...ping is very influential.  I have been able to know a spy is in the same room as me when i feel the lag hit.

a3c0i3d

Quote from: goodkebab on April 15, 2007, 05:25:04 PM
on top of that...ping is very influential.  I have been able to know a spy is in the same room as me when i feel the lag hit.

dude, you need to get out more  :)

Overstatement

Quote from: a3c0i3d on April 18, 2007, 05:18:28 PM

dude, you need to get out more  :)

What a completely random comment!

Gawain

:D

hope u guys don't implement this "feature" ;P

Succubus Dryad Of The Undying Comet

Hope not -  i could do the "lag-feel" thingy too, until i changed my connection to better
(had a 56k modem - now 512k cable) ^^ so if you can feel the lags with a ping of 20, you're my mast3r ;]

scope2005

Quote from: goodkebab on January 22, 2007, 08:02:35 PM
in ghost recon it makes sense...

but in CT there is a balance issue...

spies need to be vulnerable while in cam mode.

What is possible is animating the view of the arm coming up into the spies vision...blocking out the peripheral

I do like this Idea, Reminds me of Pandora tomorrow when using the opsat in single player, If you did this however FPS may drop drastically when in use.

My suggestion would be to find a way for everything else off the Spys screen to "unrender", however this may be problematic.
If certain map components were not being drawn, then the sticky camera would also not be able to see them I suppose.

Perhaps a Blur effect for the peripheral vision would be best... Im unsure If this would increase or decrease FPS, Though I do recall a few time's in certain games when a blur effect over most of the screen contents actually increased FPS for me, (probably because of the lower quality the scene was being rendered at).

Overstatement

I don't get it. Spies are already vulnerable in cam mode. They just stand there looking at their screen.

scope2005

Quote from: Overstatement on May 29, 2007, 09:48:26 PM
I don't get it. Spies are already vulnerable in cam mode. They just stand there looking at their screen.

That was kebabs reaction to this picture from the original post-

Which suggested a 'PIP' sticky camera which is visible during play, obviously If a spy can play and watch his camera at the same time, he is no longer vulnerable.

I only just noticed that this thread has gone off into a discussion about the balance of the guns available as merc lol :D

Valserp

Quote from: Kok4f4n on May 26, 2007, 11:42:16 PM
Hope not -  i could do the "lag-feel" thingy too, until i changed my connection to better
(had a 56k modem - now 512k cable) ^^ so if you can feel the lags with a ping of 20, you're my mast3r ;]

Problem is, it's not about your connection. It's about the host and the players in the server. You can have the best connection in the world but if the host has a 128k upload this is the bitrate at which you will be getting the information and lag will occur.
Also, "uzi lag" is a child of this problem, because the uzi has an insane firerate and the host has to send out information about every one of those bullets thus it usually ends up in you doing the "one-step-forward-one-step-back" walk.
Also, the "host uzi" is such a bitch compared to "client uzi" because when you are a client the loss of packets(and there usually is such when you start firing that insane thing) may result in your bullets not registering right and the overall ping affects your aim. The host does not need to send packets to themselves - thus every single bullet hits right where it was aimed for. The rest of the players can feel the lag but the host is "invulnerable" to it.

I'm not an expert, I just explained it the way I understand it. Maybe someone else did that before me, I just saw the comments on this page and felt like giving my input  :D