Deathmatch balancing

Started by DreadStunLock, December 01, 2010, 03:51:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farley4Fan

This whole thread turned from DM balancing to game variant ideas haha

DreadStunLock

Well deathmatch balancing isn't so easy as it seems.

savov

I think it will be easier if we list the UNbalanced thinks in dm so far. Sadly, I cant think of anything... it was perfect for me...

Cronky

They should make Tag a real mode.

:)

(Once won a round of Tag in 6 seconds as Merc. It was awesome.)
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------
xFire:Cronkbot | Steam:Cronky

Succubus Dryad Of The Undying Comet

Quote from: Cronky on December 03, 2010, 10:08:19 PM

Me too. Got a headshot, everyone left.

Cronky

Quote from: Succubus Dryad Of The Undying Comet on December 03, 2010, 10:30:13 PM
Quote from: Cronky on December 03, 2010, 10:08:19 PM

Me too. Got a headshot, everyone left.

Mine was 1 grenade, 3 Spies. I'm not exactly sure why they all went the same way...

Next round was 3 Mercs vs Me though... so I guess I really lost in the end. ;)
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------

DreadStunLock

Quote from: savov on December 03, 2010, 10:06:24 PM
I think it will be easier if we list the UNbalanced thinks in dm so far. Sadly, I cant think of anything... it was perfect for me...

Mercenaries can kill spies from range, Spies cannot.

Mercenaries detect spies most of the time, spies can't do anything about it.

If mercenary get's overwhelmed, he camps, spies can not.

In order to kill a mercenary he needs to be either jumped or grabbed, To jump a mercenary is nearly impossible unless you are a host, because after you climb on something you are detected. To grab a mercenary is almost impossible due to the jump bug.

Mercenaries will acumulate kills faster than spies.

Spies camp a lot more than mercenaries, making the gameplay boring.

Spies have only 1 gadget and it's easy to dodge just by looking away.

Spies cannot aggro 1 mercenary, they are in risk of getting sniped by the mercenaries teammate.

Mercenaries can charge a wall, making spies going behind them, allowing mercenaries to spamm space till the button breaks, jump and turn around, and charge the spy before he even blinks.

CurdyMilk

Quote from: frvge on December 03, 2010, 05:41:23 PM
The DM with objectives is a nice idea IMO. It's based on roughly the same arguments that Valve had to introduce new ' crescendo events' in L4D2 to prevent camping.
Yes.  All we really need is objectives for the mercs to keep them focused on both the objectives and the spies.

LennardF1989

Gametype ideas are welcome too, ofcourse.

Cronky

Now here are my personal answers to your post Dread...

Dread:Mercenaries can kill spies from range, Spies cannot.

A: If we give the spy a gun then it'll just be Merc Vs Merc.

...Not a bad idea just for gameplay variety. (Merc Vs Merc that is)

Dread:Mercenaries detect spies most of the time, spies can't do anything about it.

A: Slow down... Sounds like a crappy thing to say, but you do have a way around a Sound Detector/Visions. (Especially in PS from the sounds of it. No 360 MT Vision)

Dread:If mercenary get's overwhelmed, he camps, spies can not.

A: That one is just tough to balance. How to you stop someone from not moving? Of course if I'm on my last life versus two spies I'm going to camp in the room I feel most safe. At that point though it sounds like the Spies are winning. More kills = Spy's victory. (That is how a deathmatch works, right?)

Dread:In order to kill a mercenary he needs to be either jumped or grabbed, To jump a mercenary is nearly impossible unless you are a host, because after you climb on something you are detected. To grab a mercenary is almost impossible due to the jump bug.

A: This sounds like a CT situation/bug, not something that will be present on PS.

Dread:Mercenaries will accumulate kills faster than spies.

A: Only if the spies aren't trying to be sneaky.

Dread:Spies camp a lot more than mercenaries, making the gameplay boring.

A: Now spies can camp? Course I would call that more "Surveying the area". They are supposed to be like ninjas, not samurais. (Sorry, crap analogy. Sneaky Vs Aggro)

Dread:Spies have only 1 gadget and it's easy to dodge just by looking away.

A: I assume PS will allow for all gadgets to be used. Not sure why CT only gave you 1. Other than to "Balance" the mode by being annoying.

Dread:Spies cannot aggro 1 mercenary, they are in risk of getting sniped by the mercenaries teammate.

A: One teammate should be taking care of the sniper. That or don't go for a Merc in an open area.

Dread:Mercenaries can charge a wall, making spies going behind them, allowing mercenaries to spamm space till the button breaks, jump and turn around, and charge the spy before he even blinks.

A: CT problems shouldn't be taken into account. Jumping shouldn't break a Neck Break.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps instead of there being an objective, there are things much like Farley said earlier. What with Environmental things popping up, or shutting down.

The difference now is that they shut off regardless of Spy interaction. So periodically throughout the match the Mercs will have to go turn them on. Like say... in Aquarius... The Steam room steams up, or the Pirate Room's Lights go out. Perhaps unlike CT Camnet can go down also. That'd be fun. :) The Merc has to hit the panels to restart them, but the Spy doesn't actually have to hack them to make it happen in the first place. Spies get a random advantage, Mercs need to move to rid them of it.

(Though they COULD hack it to make it happen now, rather than whenever it randomly decides to go off)

In deathmatch only. I'm liking the rest of these ideas as separate game modes.
-----------------------

Farley4Fan

Do you guys even realize how ridiculously fun dirty tag was?  If you never played it, it was just tag where the spies tried to get each other killed.  Some of the funniest things I have ever witnessed have happened while playing dirty tag. 

monterto

I openned this thread ready to rant and rave about how much of an idiot the OP is for even mentioning /dm, but I am pleasantly shocked to see some fantastic ideas in here. Good on ya guys, good on ya.
http://sc2sig.com/s/us/329891-1.png[/img][/url]
Click to view my detailed stats![/url]

Cronky

Quote from: monterto on December 04, 2010, 07:54:12 AM
I openned this thread ready to rant and rave about how much of an idiot the OP is for even mentioning /dm, but I am pleasantly shocked to see some fantastic ideas in here. Good on ya guys, good on ya.

Get ready for the best idea than!

We don't change Deathmatch at all. Plus we make it the only mode in the game!

This way we save the dev team from having to make all those silly, unnecessary objectives, and get to playing the full game sooner!

Plus they wont have to make anything other than Flashbangs and Flares for gadgets! Don't worry, I know it's a great idea.
-----------------------

Spark Mandriller

you never faced a merc who just camping a corner the whole game?

Cronky

Quote from: B-3A Misty Lady on December 04, 2010, 09:23:41 AM

you never faced a merc who just camping a corner the whole game?

Not a live one.
-----------------------